Moment Skis 2021

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I think that makes sense. Honestly, the 101 could be a great travel ski as well depending on where you're going. I really like the 101 on steep chalk. Super nimble, likes being in the air and very predictable.

Flo

Getting on the lift
Skier
I own the Deathwish and demoed the Wildcat 101 and did not really like it. Not enough grip on groomer. I would prefer to ride my DW than the wildcat 101 in low tide. (For reference I also had the regular WC and prefer the DW). The thing is that the DW is so versatile that it’s hard to find a complement that does not overlap. I bought the Line Blade at the end of the season, hopefully it will be great but I must say that I would love for Moment to make a DW 94 with metal in it (something between the DW 104 and the burly commander 96).

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
To show how versatile the Deathwish apparently is,

At A Basin, CO, I met a Moment pro (who gets lots of free Moment skis, whichever ones he wants,
and also prototypes most models for them). He coaches the National mogul team, and at times other bump teams,
and thus coaches Olympic bumpers. He can ski.

I asked him which is his favorite Moment, since he's pretty much skied almost all of them, and at different lengths also.
He said it was the Deathwish, except shorter, maybe 165 or 170 (He looked about 5'8", 180+ lbs.),
because he uses them in bump fields, including while coaching. Lordy.

(This was before the Deathwish 104.)

Last edited:
TS
GregK

GregK

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Would agree with Wildcat 101 being a fun ski that’s super easy to pivot but when things are firm, it’s short effective edge that you can keep sharp(contact area/running length) it doesn’t have great grip. Had the PB&J before it was updated to the Wildcat 101 and was disappointed with both its edge grip in the East and float in the West. Deathwish 104 would be a better option for both grip and float.

An intriguing East Coast tree ski around 100mm would be the Unleashed 98. Large splay like a Moment/ON3P but low taper so it should still bite firmer snow. You’d be able to run 1/3 bevels sharp right up to the widest points tip/tail too. Just wish it was heavier ski.

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
I got about 80 days on the Cat 101's in the last couple years in Utah and love them , however, if i was looking for an EC tree ski id look elsewhere.
some of those fast and firm days during last winters mid season drought got a little scary (think Regulator Johnson on a sheet of ice)

Just picked up the new DW104's expecting an improvement on edgehold . Love the regular DWs so i cant wait to get on the 104's