• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Moment Skis Discussion

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Forzas look great on those Wildcats!

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Forzas look great on those Wildcats!

This!!! Made the switch to bright yellow Attacks on my other new skis and love them. Think they will look great on my Wildcats too.

what waist width are the new wildcats?

The original Wildcats are 116mm wide in all sizes except the 190cm length which goes to 118mm but they now have narrower Wildcat models at 108mm and 101mm now. All are similar builds and shapes.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What are each ski? I recognize some but not most. The Look pivots really pop in yellow/orange and look good with the ski's colors.

Flo

Getting on the lift
Skier
Looks like you can help me decide between a Deathwish and a Wildcat in complement of a 94mm ski.
Deathwish softer, centered mount than the Wildcat?

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
What are each ski? I recognize some but not most. The Look pivots really pop in yellow/orange and look good with the ski's colors.

Liz is on:
the Sierra at 172 with tech bindings for every day touring
Older Wildcat 116 at 174with shifts for sidecountry and short/deep touring days
New Wildcat 116 a 179 with pivots for resort powder. She loved her old wildcat but wanted a bit more length.

I have
the Chipotle Banana at 186 with shifts for sidecountry/short deep touring
Deathwish Tour 184 with tech bindings for eveyday touring
Deathwish Standard 184 with pivots for everyday resort.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
Looks like you can help me decide between a Deathwish and a Wildcat in complement of a 94mm ski.
Deathwish softer, centered mount than the Wildcat?
Unfortunately, I haven't been on a full weight Wildcat (those belong to liz!). I have owned the Wildcat tour (up for sale now), and it's a great ski. The tour is lighter and maybe a touch softer than the standard wildcat.

I mount my deathwish on cm back from recommended, so -6 from center....the same as the Wildcat.

The Wildcat feels stronger, and at least in the 116 has better float. The deathwish is really easy to ski loose.... and slash and pivot through trees and moguls. More so than the Wildcat.

It seems like the Deathwish demands and rewards an active style. It's very nimble and you just want to turn, slash, and pop. The Wildcat is also playful, but seems to be a bit more work in tight spots. With the Wildcat it seems easier to make longer radius, powerful turns over rougher terrain. The Deathwish is not great at super-g style turns.

I bought the deathwish for tree skiing in Fernie...and it's really in it's element in steep and tight. In a place like castle, where the terrain is less steep and more open... I really want to open it up, and the deathwish isn't optimal. The wildcat seems to handle these situations better.

Flo

Getting on the lift
Skier
Unfortunately, I haven't been on a full weight Wildcat (those belong to liz!). I have owned the Wildcat tour (up for sale now), and it's a great ski. The tour is lighter and maybe a touch softer than the standard wildcat.

I mount my deathwish on cm back from recommended, so -6 from center....the same as the Wildcat.

The Wildcat feels stronger, and at least in the 116 has better float. The deathwish is really easy to ski loose.... and slash and pivot through trees and moguls. More so than the Wildcat.

It seems like the Deathwish demands and rewards an active style. It's very nimble and you just want to turn, slash, and pop. The Wildcat is also playful, but seems to be a bit more work in tight spots. With the Wildcat it seems easier to make longer radius, powerful turns over rougher terrain. The Deathwish is not great at super-g style turns.

I bought the deathwish for tree skiing in Fernie...and it's really in it's element in steep and tight. In a place like castle, where the terrain is less steep and more open... I really want to open it up, and the deathwish isn't optimal. The wildcat seems to handle these situations better.
Yep, I was thinking to mount the Deathwish -2 but I am afraid of changing the nature of the ski. Between the 2 which one do you think handle the crud better (it will be for resort only skiing)?

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yep, I was thinking to mount the Deathwish -2 but I am afraid of changing the nature of the ski. Between the 2 which one do you think handle the crud better (it will be for resort only skiing)?
Probably the WC. I like the deathwish on crud, but I am turning and adjusting... it isn't a tank.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier

I’d agree with @Mike Rogers description of the Deathwish. It’s always been softer, lighter and more playful than the Bibby/Wildcat. They have stiffened the Deathwish up over the past two years and this years is just a bit softer in the tip/tail vs this years Wildcat. Wildcat still has 200 grams over the Deathwish so it’s quite a bit better at speed and it crud but the latest Deathwish is very good for its weight.

Most people seem to pick the Deathwish if it’s a “one soft snow ski quiver” ski vs the Wildcat being more the dedicated powder ski as the Deathwish is a bit more versatile when there’s not as much new snow. Wildcat 108 popular too as a daily driver out West and along with a 116/118 Wildcat when it snows.

Any Moment ski you can move plus/minus one or two cm without issue and there are markings for just that on all their sk

Flo

Getting on the lift
Skier
Probably the WC. I like the deathwish on crud, but I am turning and adjusting... it isn't a tank.
Thank you Mike and Greg! I think that I will try to demo both (or go for the better deal...). I feel that the Deathwish is a better fit for me but that the Wildcat would be a better complement to my Rustler 9.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Wildcat is better in crud. Deathwish is a bit more agile and playful. DW is also more fun on the groomed.

My reference though are on older models of both -- same shape and camber. But flex and weight has changed a bit.

Dos-Equis

Getting on the lift
Skier
This!!! Made the switch to bright yellow Attacks on my other new skis and love them. Think they will look great on my Wildcats too.

The original Wildcats are 116mm wide in all sizes except the 190cm length which goes to 118mm but they now have narrower Wildcat models at 108mm and 101mm now. All are similar builds and shapes.

they look incredible

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ordered C98’s tonight (188)....have been debating between C98 and new Katana108 for awhile now.....

I can’t afford two new pairs....and I already have a pair of Katanas that I love and don’t want to mount on a wall yet.....so I went C98 and will ski my old Katanas another year.

Looking forward to seeing how C98 handles EC “hardpack”....lol

Last edited:

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ordered C98’s tonight (188)....have been debating between C98 and new Katana108 for awhile now.....

I can’t afford two new pairs....and I already have a pair of Katanas that I love and don’t want to mount on a wall yet.....so I went C98 and will ski my old Katanas another year.

Looking forward to seeing how C98 handles EC “hardpack”....lol
Let us know! There haven't been too many reviews of the Commander series, and it looks they changed things up this year.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Showed up today...

B546DDBE-8EFB-486F-8CF3-DBCB655969EC.jpeg

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I’m not sure Moment (or ON3P or J Skis or any other US indie I can think of) really make the “kind” of ski that benefits from being <90 underfoot. If you look at Moment’s Commander 98, for example, it has a 23 meter radius in the longest length. They are not trying to make carvers.

Perhaps you wish they would but I think it would be a philosophy change.
I haven't tried the Commander, but I will say 23 m is a good sidecut radius for a carving ski, provided you are not limiting yourself to carving SL turns at SL speeds because your hill is too small (like my local 250' bump) or too crowded (e.g. Blue Mountain Collingwood's Happy Valley on a Saturday afternoon).

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Trouble is radius != radius.

For a race GS ski, yeah sure its pretty much stuck there, but a lot of skis can be flexed.

if the ski is actually 23, and cant be made to go shorter, yeah its kinda meeeeh.