• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Moment Skis Discussion

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Finally....
516D1B13-6635-4277-8FA0-7A7D6F7D20E9.jpeg

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Wildcat 108's in 184 is on the way! (personal use) I was a little unsure of the length, 5' 11" 175 but I @jmeb says it will be fine, and he's hoping I dont like them. :). I am a little unsure on mount point, @GregK has been helpful and the folks from Moment. I dont do the flippy, spinning thing so I dont need it to be balanced in the air but I also dont want the tips or tails to be too short. -6 isn't crazy forward but Im thinking to go -7. Moment said "you can't tell the difference mounted +1 to -1" but thats a head scratcher to me. I can feel 3-5mm on almost any ski . they also said going -1 for directional skiing is perfectly fine but no more than -2 (which I wont do)

Last edited:

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Moment said "you can't tell the difference mounted +1 to -1" but thats a head scratcher to me. I can feel 3-5mm on almost any ski .

Moment says that because 99.9% of people never ski more than one mount point on any one ski. And another 99.9% of people don't have the skills and experience on the number of skis you do.

Honestly, the DW and Bibby/Wildcat both have a big sweet spot. But I've still found I like minor adjustments.

Reactions: Ron

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I can feel 3-5mm on almost any ski . they also said going -1 for directional skiing is perfectly fine but no more than -2 (which I wont do)

This is the metric system kicking in confusing the americans, 3-5mm is not 3-5 inches ;)

Skiiing is weird, and style of skiiing kicks in etc, but some skis I ski at -2 from true center, some true center and 0 worries, others are like wowie whats going on here, whats this meter of tail doing, why is there nothing up front.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
LOL, we are all using metric in this conversation. Ski's are all metric in the USA. metric works and is easy!

when I am testing a ski and I feel the mount is off, (doesn't happen all that often now) I will move my bindings fore/aft by one "click" or BSL Size on a demo binding rail which is ~3mm until they feel right.

Last edited:

Eric Edelstein

ExoticSkis
Skier
Industry Insider
Stay tuned for a review of the latest Commander 98..... Moment knows how to make chargers...:golfclap:

The result is an all-new Commander 98. It now boasts an aspen/beech core, revised sidecut and camber profiles, a new mount point, more metal, and experimental mutant genes from outer space. It’s stiffer, more stable, faster in and out of turns, and ready to rock like never before. Incredibly, it’s also more forgiving when your quads are begging you to call it quits and the tram is calling your name for one more lap. But listen: the fact that it’s not going to rip your face off doesn’t mean it’s the ski to put your kid brother on, either. It takes a pinch of dynamite to get the new Commander 98 up in the morning, and it can make most skis flinch just by looking at them. We built it to go fast, kick ass, and chew bubble gum. And it’s all out of bubble gum.[/QUOTE] - Moment website January 2021

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Ron,

I have been on the Moment Bibby 184cm ski and I do think they have a big sweet spot. I was probably 1 cm back from the factory line due to my size 29 boot and they were my son's skis mounted for a 27 boot. I would agree with Moment in that the ski doesn't feel a "lot" different until you start getting +/- 2cm away from factory. I bet you will notice a difference at 5mm, but not a big one. -1 from factory line seems like a safe spot for you. I was impressed on my son's bibby's that the tip didn't dive on me in deep powder. The whole ski sank until I got some speed, but the ski felt very balanced and easy to ski. Blister has a lot on info on Moment skis if you want to research.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Wildcat 108's in 184 is on the way! (personal use) I was a little unsure of the length, 5' 11" 175 but I @jmeb says it will be fine, and he's hoping I dont like them. :). I am a little unsure on mount point, @GregK has been helpful and the folks from Moment. I dont do the flippy, spinning thing so I dont need it to be balanced in the air but I also dont want the tips or tails to be too short. -6 isn't crazy forward but Im thinking to go -7. Moment said "you can't tell the difference mounted +1 to -1" but thats a head scratcher to me. I can feel 3-5mm on almost any ski . they also said going -1 for directional skiing is perfectly fine but no more than -2 (which I wont do)

They will be fine. I would play a bit with the mounting point with a demo binding. I demoed the Wildcar Tour 108 184cm's and they skied great.

As an example on the Black Crows Nocta's I moved the mount point -3cm back from factory rec. which is I think -5 from center. . I tried -1, -2 and -3 and honestly at -1 I felt no difference.

Last edited:

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
@Ron,

I have been on the Moment Bibby 184cm ski and I do think they have a big sweet spot. I was probably 1 cm back from the factory line due to my size 29 boot and they were my son's skis mounted for a 27 boot. I would agree with Moment in that the ski doesn't feel a "lot" different until you start getting +/- 2cm away from factory. I bet you will notice a difference at 5mm, but not a big one. -1 from factory line seems like a safe spot for you. I was impressed on my son's bibby's that the tip didn't dive on me in deep powder. The whole ski sank until I got some speed, but the ski felt very balanced and easy to ski. Blister has a lot on info on Moment skis if you want to research.

good info. I have read the Blistergear review, I have a demo binding but I hate to put that on and then redial again for a hard mount. I will go -7 (-1) which seems to be the right spot for the M-Free 108 as well. When they arrive, I will compare the M-Free to the Wildcat.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
good info. I have read the Blistergear review, I have a demo binding but I hate to put that on and then redial again for a hard mount. I will go -7 (-1) which seems to be the right spot for the M-Free 108 as well. When they arrive, I will compare the M-Free to the Wildcat.
Ill join the pact do the +1 from REC on the m-free 108 as well, just borrowed the new fancy pivot jig from friend for the weekend, so will have a mountweekend ;)

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Ill join the pact do the -1 from REC on the m-free 108 as well, just borrowed the new fancy pivot jig from friend for the weekend, so will have a mountweekend ;)

PLEASE NOTE I WENT FORWARD .75cm on the M-FREE 182, NOT AFT. the factory is -7.75, this takes it to ~ -7.00 depending on your BSL.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
PLEASE NOTE I WENT FORWARD .75cm on the M-FREE 182, NOT AFT. the factory is -7.75, this takes it to ~ -7.00 depending on your BSL.
hmm yeah I understood what you mean, I just wrote it wrong, closer to center, + from rec ;)

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Ski are here! This is a very clever design in the sense that theres a very good use/design of rocker. On paper and in pictures, it appears that there is more rocker than when seeing them "in person" but it has a lot of slay at the very tip of the ski but comes down on a steady angle and goes quite long. this reminds me of the Praxis protest design. It will float up well but maintains more contact in soft snow with a smoother interface with the snow than an abrupt splay. The Flex is medium stiff with more give in the tips and tails, There's more mass at the ends of the tips and there's not a ton of taper, this should give it a moderate amount of surf and be a little less loose. (good things) At the tail, its pretty much the same with a lot of splay at the very end for those skiing or landing switch but again, the rocker comes down on a nice angle.

So, when matching up the shovels, the Moment Factory mount is 1cm forward of where I have the M-free (not a bad calculated guess) if I match up the tips which would make the tails 4mm longer so if I split the difference, and add 2mm back, thats -8mm. I'll just go with -5mm Very psyched to get these mounted up with Wardens today.

EDIT: I ended up at -6.7.

Last edited:
TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
It’s very common knowledge that if someone like @Ron picks the wrong mount point on Moment skis, great hardship will fall onto him and his family for 7 years......:roflmao:
Agree that it’s just a “fine tune” of the ski as Moments have a large sweet spot in their mounts and aren’t as sensitive as some skis.

I still vote for around the -7cm mark for your size on the 184cm but say(as I have before) split the difference if you’re now thinking -6.5cm and make it -6.70cm. That way it’s even less than the 3mm bump of a demo binding off!

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January