• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Moment Skis Discussion

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Anyone tried the Wildcat 101 / PB&J? Was thinking to do a Wildcat quiver 101 /116.
I am afraid that those don't carve as much as my Rustler 9. I really like the Rustler but at over 40mph they don't inspire confidence.

I actually had the 182cm PB&J when I had my 180cm Rustler 9s. The Rustlers were more fun carving at lower speeds but the PB&Js were more at home going straight with their longer turning radius. Just okay edge grip as the effective edge on the PB&Js isn’t that long and float isn’t as good as the Rustler 9s were. I sold my PB&Js to get the Enforcer 104s which are more like a wider and damper Rustler 9.

As a daily driver type ski, the Fisher Ranger 102 would be my pick to replace the Rustler 9. The Ranger 94 would be my pick if it were heavier and damper. The 177cm 102 would carve even nicer than the 180cm Rustler 9 while having better edge grip and doesn’t mind going straight. Had my 184cm 102 Fishers above 60mph without drama even though the radius is only 19m on them. 18m on the 177cm but seems much higher when going straighter.

Another option is the new Candide 2.0 although it’s quite a bit heavier but it’s suspension is best in class. Shocked at how stable, quiet this ski is and the edge grip and carving ability is unreal. The 183cm version is almost exactly the same edge grip as my 3cm longer Kendo 88s on hard snow but the dampness is in another world. They make a 92mm version as well called the Candide 1.0 but it’s tips are very narrow so very hard snow/terrain park biased.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
So just skied the Moment Wildcat 108's in champagne powder Knee deep and up to the crotch. The trees were totally loaded and untracked. I have never skied the trees with such ease and total confidence in a ski. I was skiing much faster but with more control through tight aspens. Skiing on the groomers with broken and piled snow was a blast. It is so stable and capable. I could either run them flat or put them on edge and rip. My friend skiing with me said he couldn't begin to keep up with me. The Wildcat 108 takes my award for Absolute Best Powder Ski. View attachment 126003 View attachment 126006

Jelly, very jelly

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
@Ron Which mount point did you use finally? I am thinking of getting these skis in 190cm.

Sintesi

Booting up
Skier
Anyone tried the Wildcat 101 / PB&J? Was thinking to do a Wildcat quiver 101 /116.
I am afraid that those don't carve as much as my Rustler 9. I really like the Rustler but at over 40mph they don't inspire confidence.
I have that combo and it works great for out west. The 101 is great for any soft day up to mid thigh or more depending on your comfort level. They are awesome in the trees. The 116’s work great from boot top on. Don’t let the radius fool you on either they turn easily way tighter than stated with good technique. Both can leave trenches on the way back to the lodge too. When things firm up I use an 83 or 98 Kastle.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Dying to try out the 118mm Wildcats after getting a stone grind and myself re-doing the edges so took them out yesterday in afternoon crud. They really are insane in crud and it even refroze when the sun went down and still were great. Was skiing 45-50 mph over the rough snow without issue and giggling the whole time. Love these skis!

Funny how much interest they get when skiing them in the East and many “sick skis man!” from the teenagers. Lol

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
And they are really an obvious improvement over the previous Bibby Pros?
(I take it that at 118, yours are the 190s.)

The big thing to me is not that they are “improvements” over the Bibby per say but that they are no longer an obvious downside to the lighter weight of their construction improvements of the previous Wildcat.

Suspension seems very “Bibby like” now but it seems less work to whip them around than the previous 190cm Bibby was. Front of the ski seems very solid when flying down the hill. The 190cm Wildcat seems more stable than my 184cm Bibbys were yet they seem just as easy to pivot in trees. Willing to carve at lower speeds than you’d think a 118mm ski with 27m radius would.

Like the Bibby, I was skiing faster with less effort in heavy crud but think the Wildcat passes over stuff even easier as the tip/tail splay are a bit higher it seems. Might be why the improved powder float along with them being lighter with the semi cap.

So really, it still skis like a Bibby but seems to ski even easier without much/any decrease in it’s top end now. Bases seems faster as I noticed an improvement in speed after switching to them vs the Bibbys being a hair slower than most of my other skis with race baes

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Usually your posts are spot on, but.....
It's spring slush, not Colo powder. Heavy spring slush is heavy spring slush anywhere.

I can see why you'd think that, but it really isn't true. You are not giving Colorado dry air (or coastal humidity) enough credit. Evaporation is a major factor in how dry and light Colorado slush is. In other words - I have been on skis that were just fine in Utah or Colorado slush - but were absolutely too soft for California and Oregon muck - just like you describe below.

By afternoon on those slush days, almost all other skiers have given up - too rough on softer flexing skis, and I have those slopes mostly to myself & friends, like ducks on a lake in a blizzard. And I'm often using the same skis that were great for edging on refrozen groomers at first chair. (Though sometimes I'll use GS skis then, and switch out just as he did to one of the other pairs I mentioned. )

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
after 6 days of skiing the Cottonwoods on the new Deathwish (179 ) I am astonished how great they are. They DESTROY chopped up snow. They hold a great edge on all surfaces including ice, TRIPLE CAMBER is the real deal .They float in the fresh deep stuff. These things inspire confidence. I am skiing faster than ever in variable conditions. Even moguls are no problem .

I think I will be pairing up the Deathwish with a set of Wildcat 101's for next season.

My first pair of Moment skis and they are top notch!!! really impressed.
IMG_7565.JPG

Last edited:

Flo

Getting on the lift
Skier
Not sure about what they prepare fro next year but I would be curious to try a narrower/hard snow focused skis from them.
From Luke (Moment CEO):
"We are not making a PB&Death and not going to do a group buy with a ski that we can not test and refine. New skis drop 8/1. I think you guys will be stoked about what we came up with. "

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Not sure about what they prepare fro next year but I would be curious to try a narrower/hard snow focused skis from them.
From Luke (Moment CEO):
"We are not making a PB&Death and not going to do a group buy with a ski that we can not test and refine. New skis drop 8/1. I think you guys will be stoked about what we came up with. "
I've talked to Luke a few times about building a front side biased all mountain ski for those of us who don't really need or want anything over 95 for a DD. A directional, groomer zoomer with off piste chops. He knows his clientele and that's not their jam. So, not likely going to happen.

They do, or did, make a narrower ski called Strega for the Japanese market but it wasn't available stateside. I asked if he happened to have any hanging around the shop. He didn't and told me I'd crush it. Apparently, 220# was WAAAY beyond the skis design parameters!

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Correct, Im skiing the 184 but I am betting there's not much difference between the two lengths.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Correct, Im skiing the 184 but I am betting there's not much difference between the two lengths.

Well, I am a big boy and I needed something with better float in powder as with SR's in knee deep snow it was....less than optimal shall we say.
And besides with this YUGE tip and tail rockers, the effective edge of these is quite shorter than the SRs in 184 on which I feel super comfy.

Many thanks to you and Mr. @GregK for getting me interested in these. I wanted for quite some time to add something in the 100+ category and besides I wanted to support a small (ish) brand that makes good ski, preferably a US company.
This was the last pair at the EU dealers of Moment, so I was offered a very nice deal while discussing the same skis in 118 for next season. I just could not say no.:ogcool:

I like how the Wildcats feel-they are not lightweight, have some substance to them, it feels like they can take some pushing.

Now of course comes the burning question: Where to mount them. @GregK already cast his vote for -2. Any other opinions? Bear in mind I come from directional groomer skis, want as much float from these as possible and am not interested in taking them to parks at all. Playfulness is not something I am looking for in skis. I do not even know what that means, come to think of it. :ogbiggrin: :ogbiggrin:

Ah yes, and another question: are they like Elan-left and right skis? Do I have to always keep the astronaut to the left and the lava dripping lady to the right or they can switch sides?

Last edited:

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Moment totally nailed the description of the Wildcat 108's as playful chargers. they are 100% of that and can be skied more playful or more as directional Chargers. Actual running length for any ski is really based on the the type of snow they will be skied in; groomed vs 6" to 12+" is very different. A ski on edge also has a different running length skied flat vs on edge. As far as mounting goes, I dont know how tall you are or your weight or if these will be skied in wide open, straight lining/Super G terrain or more bumps, trees and tighter spots. ( I ski a lot of powder bumps trees and higher spots with very little open terrain, so the 184 works perfectly) if the skis are not scaled from 184 to 190, which I dont believe they are, I think -1 to -2 (max) would work. they are supremely stable so im thinking more like -1 but I haven't skied the 190. Another factor is how you ski, are you upright and centered or even center-back or more aggressive and move With the ski and ski with flexed legs creating good separation driving the tips

Last edited:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As far as mounting goes, I dont know how tall you are or your weight or if these will be skied in wide open, straight lining/Super G terrain or more bumps, trees and tighter spots. ( I ski a lot of powder bumps trees and higher spots with very little open terrain, so the 184 works perfectly) if the skis are not scaled from 184 to 190, which I dont believe they are, I think -1 to -2 (max) would work. they are supremely stable so im thinking more like -1 but I haven't skied the 190.

183 cm, 86-87 kg but it varies and in some winters I go above 90kg. They will be skied in open terrain. Trees and bumps-not so much or at least at this moment I think so as I do not have many options for trees and I do not like bumps at all.

Sponsor

Staff online