• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Moment Skis Discussion

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Lots of very exciting changes this year to existing Moment skis as well as some new/redesigned models.

I have been patiently waiting on the new Wildcat 116/118 and it’s upgrades should again change the game! It receives the heavier and damper aspen/ash wood core used in the Wildcat 108, new ABS sidewall material(formally used Extruded UHMW) and have upgraded to a 7500 series carbon base material. Should outperform the Bibby now yet be more more accessible. Typical amazing Moment graphics too.
Ordering a pair very soon!

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am also excited to see the new lineup. The Wildcat 101 and Deathwish tempt me the most. One of these days I’m going to visit the factory and demo some of their skis.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Saw the drop yesterday.....very exciting....Fun to just browse through the site and dream of better days!

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Lineup seems awesome, PB&J was a more awesome name than wildcat 101 though :p But if its even "moar better" yay!

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I really, REALLY wish they'd make a front side low to mid 80s, maybe in the Commander family.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
New graphics are nice.

Liz is going to replace her 174 fat cats (2 years back) with the 179. She's pretty happy that they are offering a size between 174 and 184.

Also considering moving her shifts from the Sheeva 11s to the old WC. They're the same weight and the WC floats better than the Sheeva. Shorter length is okay in the BC, where we tend to ski more conservatively and encounter less heavy chop.

I might replace the Blizzard Zero G 105s with WC 108 Tour. I really like how my fat cat tours handle back-country funk and I am willing to take a small weight hit for a more forgiving ride.

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
I really, REALLY wish they'd make a front side low to mid 80s, maybe in the Commander family.

I’m not sure Moment (or ON3P or J Skis or any other US indie I can think of) really make the “kind” of ski that benefits from being <90 underfoot. If you look at Moment’s Commander 98, for example, it has a 23 meter radius in the longest length. They are not trying to make carvers.

Perhaps you wish they would but I think it would be a philosophy change.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
The new 190cm Wildcats showed up today and already gave them an edge tune. For the first time in 29 pairs of skis, the bases are actually flat enough that they don’t need a stone grind. Flex is stiffer than my 184cm Bibby’s but swing weight is lighter.
Have a pair of yellow Attacks going on them similar to those on my Fishers and a Volkls. Weight averaging 2243 grams each. They are going to RIP!
64E1995F-967F-47C5-8CEE-651BF28D3063.jpeg
9D5CD2B1-93B9-414C-BC2F-648CAB39BBE5.jpeg
15E470B7-0DF8-49DD-B40B-7601ACAC1069.jpeg

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Perhaps you wish they would but I think it would be a philosophy change.
Absolutely agree. They know their audience and I'm not it. I've talked to the owner, been to the factory, and owned a couple pair (Tahoe and Deathwish) and just never got the feels for them. They do make a narrow ski for the Japanese market but I'd be way to heavy for it. I can't remember what it's called.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Women's model Strega is 8x underfoot; think it used to be sold in US but not now. It's still on Moment Japan site.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Women's model Strega is 8x underfoot; think it used to be sold in US but not now. It's still on Moment Japan site.
Strega...that's the one I was thinking of.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
They know their audience and I'm not it. I've talked to the owner, been to the factory, and owned a couple pair (Tahoe and Deathwish) and just never got the feels for them. They do make a narrow ski for the Japanese market but I'd be way to heavy for it.

That's interesting to me. I like race skis and carvers, but I do ski and like some wide rockered skis. Moments entire lineup feels like a niche market to me, but I am just not familiar with their niche. I bought my son (20 year old, Moment's market) a Bibby 184cm several years ago.(last year before they lightened the ski) He won't ski anything else now. After one day he said it was the best ski he had ever been on.

I decided I had to give it a try. I was in 18" of light powder on the backside and packed powder on the front side. I was blown away by the ski. It did everything well, except I needed the longer length because the tips dove in the deep powder. It was the most stable ski I had ever been on. I started looked for crappy junk snow to go over just to test the limits of the ski. I was also amazed how good it felt on a groomer, it carved about 75% as well as my carver skis. It is just an all around great ski. Very versatile for a wide ski and perfectly dialed in.

I tried a DPS Wailer, which is narrower and lighter, and it was an entirely different story on groomers. I was amazed at the Bibby and that's when I realized skis don't always perform as you would expect based on their width, or side cut. There's a whole lot of factors that make up their performance.

If I didn't already have a powder ski, I would probably be getting the new 190 cm Wildcat myself. Interested to hear your thoughts, Greg, when you get to ski it.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
might replace the Blizzard Zero G 105s with WC 108 Tour. I really like how my fat cat tours handle back-country funk and I am willing to take a small weight hit for a more forgiving ride.

Changed my mind. DW Tours are on the way!

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That's interesting to me. I like race skis and carvers, but I do ski and like some wide rockered skis. Moments entire lineup feels like a niche market to me, but I am just not familiar with their niche. I bought my son (20 year old, Moment's market) a Bibby 184cm several years ago.(last year before they lightened the ski) He won't ski anything else now. After one day he said it was the best ski he had ever been on.

I decided I had to give it a try. I was in 18" of light powder on the backside and packed powder on the front side. I was blown away by the ski. It did everything well, except I needed the longer length because the tips dove in the deep powder. It was the most stable ski I had ever been on. I started looked for crappy junk snow to go over just to test the limits of the ski. I was also amazed how good it felt on a groomer, it carved about 75% as well as my carver skis. It is just an all around great ski. Very versatile for a wide ski and perfectly dialed in.

I tried a DPS Wailer, which is narrower and lighter, and it was an entirely different story on groomers. I was amazed at the Bibby and that's when I realized skis don't always perform as you would expect based on their width, or side cut. There's a whole lot of factors that make up their performance.

If I didn't already have a powder ski, I would probably be getting the new 190 cm Wildcat myself. Interested to hear your thoughts, Greg, when you get to ski it.
This was me when I got on them. Thanks for letting me relive such a breakthrough!! It's not for nothing that Blistergear got in gear, so to speak, singing the praises of the Moment Bibby Pro in 184 and 190. I first got the 184, and I can still remember my first runs on them at Loveland in 8" to 12" of fresh, with windblown drifts. No problem. What a feel. A joy ever since.

Thanks, @GregK, for the enthusiasm and the great skis in summer. I'll be very interested also in what you have to say about them this next season.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
“They can’t possibly be as good as Blistergear and all the other online reviews say” I used to think about Bibby’s and when I finally got a pair, it was life changing. Skis that can ski powder of course but also rail carved turns on soft snow and fly over tracked out snow like it’s not there.

At 175lbs I was right around the edge of more playful 184cm Bibby or even more stable but “more ski” 190cm and got a deal on the 184cm and couldn’t say no. Do find I do get a bit of tip dive with the 184cm if I’m not skiing in a more centred style so should really be on the 190cm.

My new 190cm Wildcat seems lighter than it’s actual weight and should be as easy to ski as the old 184cm Bibby. Even more tip splay and lighter tip weight should make it float even better than the Bibby’s too. Thinking they are going to make me giggle through crud even more than my Bibby’s. :yahoo:

Can’t wait to ski them! I have all my skis out and scattered over my basement floor currently so very excited for this ski season!

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier

There are a lot of ways to ski even on hard snow other than trying to maximize edge angles. I think Moment's lineup is great if you ski that way while still being pretty good at developing edge angles.

Glad you liked the Wildcats! I keep meaning to try the wide versions (I tour on the narrower ones).

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Strega...that's the one I was thinking of.

I never knew a narrow Moment Ski existed! Here’s a link to the Strega on their Japanese web site:

The measurements from a sold out model:

162cm 3サイズ112mm-82mm-104mm ラディウス16.5m

172cm 3サイズ116mm-84mm-106mm ラデ

Sponsor