• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Moment Skis Discussion

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
gotcha' I love skiing bumps and trees!

I would still consider -1. I would hate to ruin the fun aspect of the ski or mute the tips. its a fairly stiff ski so I dont think you need a huge tip out in front nor will you bury the tips. when in powder, they dont ski super short at all. my 184's ski very stable and I wouldn't change them a bit. I'm at -7mm and feel they are perfect there (although I doubt I would notice any difference at -1). I can ride them flat and swivel them or on edge and they rail.

Last edited:

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
yes, whenever you see a measurement like -1 the person SHOULD be referencing from the factory suggested line. you will a main large triangle on the sidewall of the Wildcat, then each cm, + or - fore or aft of that large triangle. In my case, I did some mathematical calculations that lead me to -7mm but most people go in jumps of 1cm (which is too much IMHO).

Florida Man

Booting up
Skier
183 cm, 86-87 kg but it varies and in some winters I go above 90kg. They will be skied in open terrain. Trees and bumps-not so much or at least at this moment I think so as I do not have many options for trees and I do not like bumps at all.
I do not have the Wildcats but on the Hotmess I have mounted -2 from recommended. My Gearhead over at Backcountry skis moments as well and she tried factory mounting and hated them. Moved to -2 from recommended and really enjoyed them. At -2 they still seem pretty playful with a still relatively forward position on the ski. If you want an even more directional feeling you could try for a -3 or -4? I haven't tried shifting it because I have Pivots.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
no way I would go more than -2. a ski design has limits where they perform best and Moment explicitly warns agains more than -2 on the 108 Wildcat. I dont know anything about the hotness but just because they are Moment ski's doesn't mean they will ski the same. IN fact, Im sure they dont ski the same.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
yes, whenever you see a measurement like -1 the person SHOULD be referencing from the factory suggested line. you will a main large triangle on the sidewall of the Wildcat, then each cm, + or - fore or aft of that large triangle. In my case, I did some mathematical calculations that lead me to -7mm but most people go in jumps of 1cm (which is too much IMHO).

:roflmao: Man, at first I thought you meant 7 cm, not mm, hence-the shock. Read too quickly apparently.

Reactions: Ron
TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Only move plus/minus 1-2cm as that’s the sweet spot for Moments.

The 190cm versions are usually a hair more forward(few mm) than the 184cm with the factory mount points it seems. For @Tony Storaro size, where he is skiing it, his current quiver which are all much further back and desire to get better float on the 108, I’d still say around -2cm range from recommended. Still will be very easy to pivot in tight spots and that mount is still pretty progressive especially vs his VERY traditional Stockli skis. The Wildcats aren’t super sensitive to mounts within their plus/minus 2cm “sweet spots” so it’s more of a flavouring for skier preference.

Would be great at either -1cm or -2cm with it just being a hair more traditional at -2cm. Or just call it a day at 1.5cm.

And they are not right and left skis but like any ski with left/right graphics, it is frowned upon to have it on the “wrong” way. My Moments or skis with matching stripes like my Candides ski a bit better when they line up properly! Haha

And get used to being asked about your skis as they will get lots of lift line and chairlift comments. Welcome to the “cool kids” crew @Tony Storaro! Haha

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Only move plus/minus 1-2cm as that’s the sweet spot for Moments.

The 190cm versions are usually a hair more forward(few mm) than the 184cm with the factory mount points it seems. For @Tony Storaro size, where he is skiing it, his current quiver which are all much further back and desire to get better float on the 108, I’d still say around -2cm range from recommended. Still will be very easy to pivot in tight spots and that mount is still pretty progressive especially vs his VERY traditional Stöckli skis. The Wildcats aren’t super sensitive to mounts within their plus/minus 2cm “sweet spots” so it’s more of a flavouring for skier preference.

Would be great at either -1cm or -2cm with it just being a hair more traditional at -2cm. Or just call it a day at 1.5cm.

And they are not right and left skis but like any ski with left/right graphics, it is frowned upon to have it on the “wrong” way. My Moments or skis with matching stripes like my Candides ski a bit better when they line up properly! Haha

And get used to being asked about your skis as they will get lots of lift line and chairlift comments. Welcome to the “cool kids” crew @Tony Storaro! Haha

Hehe thanks! I will surely keep the graphics as they should be, just was wondering if there is any difference in construction between the left and right ski.

Cant wait to put the Attacks on them and then-the ski on snow. :ogbiggrin: May not be this season tho...

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Check Blister Review for a review and some mounting info. They like this ski a lot. For maxfloat in powder you will like the wider ski, but these should be pretty good for someone your size and more versatile.

BVG

Booting up
Skier
Moment riders:

Just moved to Sparks and pretty sure I am going to buy some sticks from moment for next season. Called the shop and they said I can demo as much as I like.

I current have a 2 ski quiver:
- Fischer motive 95ti in 180 (hard snow)
- Black Crows Atris in 184 (soft snow)

I’ve only heard good things about the Wildcat so thought I would start there. Question is what width and length?

Looking for a ski that I can take to SV/AM or Rose for Off Piste runs on most days and be happy. I don’t love my Motives in the crud but have a blast on them on the groomers. Additionally, I love my Atris on powder runs but I don’t love them on groomers or Dust on Crust days.

Would starting with the Wildcat 108 be silly considering I have a 108 Atris? Or would the WC 108 be a nice blend of hard snow and soft snow performance? Also thinking the WC 101 may fit the bill but I haven’t heard much feedback on the new size.

Any thoughts are appreciated

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I have not tested any Black Crows. I was being more facetious but for off-piste, 4" and up, I cannot think of any ski that is this much fun and performs so well. And, keep in mind, I test a lot of skis.

Reactions: BVG

Bobalooski

Getting off the lift
Inactive
I have not tested any Black Crows. I was being more facetious but for off-piste, 4" and up, I cannot think of any ski that is this much fun and performs so well. And, keep in mind, I test a lot of skis.
So Ron, for a Tahoe daily driver...Wildcat 101 or 108?

BVG

Booting up
Skier

I can dig it

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
That much better?

Yes! The only thing that might be a HAIR better might be untracked powder float on the Atris with it’s wider tip/tail.
Tracked powder, crud, stability at speed, carving performance, speed edge to edge and ease of pivoting in tight spots would all be better on the Moment Wildcat 108.

Wildcat 101 doesn’t have quite the float, dampness or stability of the Wildcat 108 and isn’t way better on firmer snow. If I wanted a narrower Moment with better on piste performance, go Commander 98.

Reactions: BVG

Bobalooski

Getting off the lift
Inactive
Yes! The only thing that might be a HAIR better might be untracked powder float on the Atris with it’s wider tip/tail.
Tracked powder, crud, stability at speed, carving performance, speed edge to edge and ease of pivoting in tight spots would all be better on the Moment Wildcat 108.

Wildcat 101 doesn’t have quite the float, dampness or stability of the Wildcat 108 and isn’t way better on firmer snow. If I wanted a narrower Moment with better on piste performance, go Commander 98.
So for off-piste chops - even when it hasn’t snowed in a while but is still skiable - the 108?

BVG

Booting up
Skier

Love it. Will have to swing by the shop and Demo some. You think a 184 or 190? Do they ski shorter or similar to the Atris?

I’m 6’2” and 200.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
So for off-piste chops - even when it hasn’t snowed in a while but is still skiable - the 108?

Yes! The Wildcats 108 can still decently grip underfoot if theresbut with their large tip/tail splay and rocker are loads of fun off piste. Very easy even in tighter spots but can rip when you want it to haul in open spaces. Punch way above their weight.

Love it. Will have to swing by the shop and Demo some. You think a 184 or 190? Do they ski shorter or similar to the Atris?

I’m 6’2” and 200.

190cm for sure and will ski similar in size to the Astris. Atris doesn’t have quite as high splay(tail especially) or as deep rocker and the Moment has a mount about 1.5cm more forward. The Wildcat 108 will feel hair shorter when pivoting but when on edge carving, it will feel more stable like a longer Atris. Wildcat 108 stiffer in the shovel so you can drive it harder but forgiving in the extreme tips/tails like the Atris so it’s not demanding.

Sponsor