• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Moment Skis Discussion

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I also noticed the change in weight(about 50 grams more than 2021 specs) although my one 2021 190cm Wildcat was 2280 grams and the other 2210(boo lol). Maybe adding a touch more epoxy or tweaking the construction just a hair causing the difference? Still lighter than my CT 3.0…….evil laugh…

The other Wildcats up in weight specs a hair too.

Figured the deathwish 104 to be a hair over 2000grams and glad it is for a bit of street cred.

Greg, have you weighed your new Candide 3.0 190cm skis? Here is the published weights from 2021 (the 190cm 3.0 is 2230 grams)

1627572623668.png

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Greg, have you weighed your new Candide 3.0 190cm skis? Here is the published weights from 2021 (the 190cm 3.0 is 2230 grams)

View attachment 138799

All 2021 Candide 3.0 are weighing around 2320 grams each in the 190cm this year. Mine were 2305 and 2349 grams(2327gr average) vs the 2245gr average(same as factory listed average last year) on the 2021 190cm Wildcats.

My 184cm CT 3.0 weigh around 2205 grams and both within 5 grams of each other like the 183cm 1.0(2200gr) and 2.0(2280gr). 188cm 2.0 is also heavier than spec around 2400gr each.

Last edited:
TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Emailed Moment and got a response already when asked about the gain in weight.

“Good eye.
The increase in weight is due to using a very slightly thicker tip and tail spacer. This added material makes the skis more damp and allows for them to be more composed at speed, especially in crud and chop, without changing the overall flex profile of the ski. Most people will not notice a difference, those who really push the ski will see a stability increase on the top end.
Glad you like the new graphics!

Let me know if you have any other questions.”
--
FASA
NELSON
MOMENT SKIS

So it should be similar to gaining a bit of weight back in the tip/tail that was lost due to going to the semi cap construction when they moved from the Bibby/PB&J into the Wildcat series. Still a very small weight difference but I bet it would be noticeable on rough terrain when any skis tips get really moving.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Consider the Moment 108 more of a “soft snow ski” that could be used as a daily driver for those skiing mostly soft snow. Does great in Spring snow, afternoon crud and fresh snow but it just won’t float in deep snow like the 11Like it’s bigger brother it’s very versatile but even easier and lighter on it’s feet.

The 108 floats incredibly well and its my go-to powder ski for 4-5" up to over the knee conditions. its superbly nimble, quick and stable at 184 and back -1 (mine are -.7). I prefer the 108 because it can ski bumped out terrain with aplomb. the wider ski is fine but its not going to be as nimble or easy in bumps or skied out trees.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
The 108 floats incredibly well and its my go-to powder ski for 4-5" up to over the knee conditions. its superbly nimble, quick and stable at 184 and back -1 (mine are -.7). I prefer the 108 because it can ski bumped out terrain with aplomb. the wider ski is fine but its not going to be as nimble or easy in bumps or skied out trees.

Agree with that and my previous comments. The 108 will definitely be more versatile but you sacrifice float. I use my Candide 3.0 where you’re using the 108 and then for deeper days, the 118 Wildcat will come out. Still pondering a pair of Wildcat 108s for myself though…;)

Because the new 2022 Moment line is available, deals to be had on remaining 2021 stock listed here.

Reactions: Ron

AEV

Booting up
Skier
Emailed Moment and got a response already when asked about the gain in weight.

“Good eye.
The increase in weight is due to using a very slightly thicker tip and tail spacer. This added material makes the skis more damp and allows for them to be more composed at speed, especially in crud and chop, without changing the overall flex profile of the ski. Most people will not notice a difference, those who really push the ski will see a stability increase on the top end.
Glad you like the new graphics!

Let me know if you have any other questions.”
--
FASA
NELSON
MOMENT SKIS

So it should be similar to gaining a bit of weight back in the tip/tail that was lost due to going to the semi cap construction when they moved from the Bibby/PB&J into the Wildcat series. Still a very small weight difference but I bet it would be noticeable on rough terrain when any skis tips get really moving.

Nice! I had a hunch it was something. Good on you for investigating further! That's the first thing I looked at after clicking into the new site lol, new Wildcat weights. This is actually something I would rather pay the extra $100 for retail over the 2021s on ski burger.

I know Greg gets it, but everyone else will soon get used to me rejoicing over 50g weight increases lol.

Last edited:
TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
That's the first thing I looked at after clicking into the new site lol, new Wildcat weights

Same!! Haha

I now have an extra reason to use my 2021 Wildcats more because it will mean that I will need a pair of the newer builds sooner! Built in excuse now.

AEV

Booting up
Skier
Greg, what do you think a 190 Wildcat 108 would do better than a 190 CT3.0? Just being lighter, it would be less taxing over a day?

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I've skied both and the Wildcat is a far better ski, the description of a playful charger fit this ski perfectly. The CT is more a charger with considerably less rocker splay.

Reactions: AEV

AEV

Booting up
Skier
Ron, did you ski the 2021 version CT 3.0?

Can you explain to me how the WC 108 is a better ski? Do you not like charger skis, so the WC108 suits you a lot better? Or are you saying the CT3.0 did something specifically wrong, and the WC 108 does that better no matter the skiers preference?

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
so without a deep dive here, you are comparing 2 skis that have a decent amount in common (both are chargers or can be skied that way) both are fairly stiff however the 3.0 is 112 underfoot and the Wildcat has considerably more splay but seemingly surpasses every other ski I've skied with that much splay. The wildcat can be skied precise and engages exceptionally well in chopped, loose snow (or spring slush) it simply comes down to this. if the 2 skis are somewhat similar and you want them for the same thing, soft, loose snow and powder days, I'll take the Moment every time. Last year, it was the Wildcat 108, Sali Stance 96 and Blossom SL as my "Best of the Season" skis, each in their own category of course but all 3 are quite strong skis. I am a technical skier. The Wildcat 108 is my favorite powder skier ever. I ski quite a bit of powder and the Wildcat, while still being a Charger, can be skied in almost any style and anywhere on the mountain with no compromises. I liked the 3.0 but its not as good across the board. YMMV. Skiers all have preferences or we would just have 5 skis on the market :).

I could say you should be comparing the Wildcat 116 and not the 108 but, if you want more of a traditional ski, I would go with the CT. If you dont mind the 112 underfoot, that opens the field to a regular Wildcat, and again, for a 116 (except the 190) assuming you want them for deep days (your deep day and mine may be very different) again, I would grab the Wildcat. I am very comfortable skiing above the knee powder on the 108 (I used to ski a 100) but others may prefer a 116 or wider. Again, skier preference. I also ski a Praxis Protest fwiw.

you probably know this but here's the dims: note the tip width on the WC 108, it makes this ski so maneuverable in tight spots and especially trees, the 140 tip is quite a bit wider. Note the dims on the Wildcat 116, they are much more comparable to the CT 3.0. In the powder, the TR is irrelevant for the most part, however, I like the longer 22 and 25 for loose snow and powder over the 20

WC 108 (184)- 134-108-127 22tr
CT 3.0. (184) 140-112-134, 20tr

WC 116 (184)- 141-116-131 25tr

just to muck up the waters, you could look at the commander 108 for more charger, directional, traditional ski.

Last edited:

AEV

Booting up
Skier
the Wildcat has considerably more splay but seemingly surpasses every other ski I've skied with that much splay. The wildcat can be skied precise

So true. Thanks for the response, very good info! If I'm reading you correctly, you're saying the CT3.0 is even more traditional and precise feeling than wildcats? That sounds pretty good, as I was looking at the Cochise 106 too

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
So true. Thanks for the response, very good info! If I'm reading you correctly, you're saying the CT3.0 is even more traditional and precise feeling than wildcats?

no, not more precise if we are talking about skiing powder, loose snow. It has less splay and a different feel. the CT is a good, solid ski. The Wildcat is superb. Understand, I dont typically ski on skis with much rocker. my SL's Augment 77's have no rocker, my Stances have minimal splay. I like a very precise and exacting ski. the Moment is completely and utterly 180* in terms of design and yet are a total hoot to ski. I loved them on a powder day popping out of the trees and absolutely ripping skied/tracked out 8" of powder like it was smooth corduroy. :).

Here's my review the Wildcat 108 over several days of skiing. Note the depth of the powder.... https://www.skitalk.com/threads/moment-wildcat-108.22833/

AEV

Booting up
Skier
Thanks Ron. I have owned Bibbys, Wildcats, and PBJs. I have put around 100 days on this shape, but not the WC 108. Everything you are saying about the 108 sounds extremely similar to the other widths, which would make it a very predictable ski purchase without demoing.

Commanders look super beefy, but still looser than things like Legend Pro Riders or Monster 108s

Last edited:

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ron, not to be contradictory, but you owned/skied the 2018 CT 3.0 I believe from looking at your old posts. That ski is not very similar to the 2021 CT 3.0, very drastic differences in the skis. The shape changed, the weight got a lot heavier, the flex changed, and the width changed. Also you were on the 186cm length, AEV is a big guy and is looking at the 190cm length. The name is still the same, but the old ski is not that similar to the 2021 version we have been discussing in this thread.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
The new line up looks good! I'll be replacing my refreshing my Deathwish skis this year. I think I will put my (currently unmounted) Shifts on my old Deathwish skis and use them for an inbounds and ski touring rock ski. It will be a heavy set up, but October and November tours are for building strength.

I'll have a new Deathwish for the resort, old one for rocks, and the Deathwish tour for regular skiing. Fun skis! I'm a fan. :)

AEV

Booting up
Skier
Ron, not to be contradictory, but you owned/skied the 2018 CT 3.0 I believe from looking at your old posts. That ski is not very similar to the 2021 CT 3.0, very drastic differences in the skis. The shape changed, the weight got a lot heavier, the flex changed, and the width changed. Also you were on the 186cm length, AEV is a big guy and is looking at the 190cm length. The name is still the same, but the old ski is not that similar to the 2021 version we have been discussing in this thread.

I'm so confused on the 2021 190 CT3.0. It's one of those skis that becomes more confusing the more I find out about it, but without actually demoing. Like space phenomena for physicists.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm so confused on the 2021 190 CT3.0. It's one of those skis that becomes more confusing the more I find out about it, but without actually demoing. Like space phenomena for physicists.

It didn't follow the normal ski model evolution life that a popular long lifespan ski did. (ie. bonafide) Think of it like the Moment Wildcat/Bibby (without the name change). The original Bibby was a heavy playful charger. @AEV you liked it. Then they made it more of a powder ski. Blister Review had a fit and kept bugging Moment till they changed it back close to the original. Then they changed the name to Wildcat and made it lighter. Everyone noticed the change, and now they are trying to get it back close to the OG Bibby play full charger.

The CT 3.0 followed a different path, but it has evolved. It started as a soft wide park ski. Not especially precise, but good for park. It evolved and became a combination of all mtn and park. It got wider with a different flex pattern (stiffer tips and tails) but was still fairly light. None of these earlier models were in the charger category. Then, in 2021, they took the shape from the 2020 model and made it much heavier, stiffer, torsionally more stiff, much more precise and bumped into the charger category. Their new school / park demographic didn't like this 2021 version, too stiff, precise, and too much a charger. So for 2022, same shape and flex pattern, but lighter and less stiff. Moving it back towards the all mtn / park category. If you like chargers, don't buy the 2022 or models earlier than 2021. The 2021 is a one year aberration that is squarely in the precise charger category. Now, as I listen to myself, I think that I have not even skied my new 2021 3.0, but I was confused too and researched its history and I am repeating what Greg and Anders have been saying about how they ski since they have used them this past season. With the ski in hand, I don't see anything that makes me think they are not spot on. This is one stiff, torsionally rigid, long ski. Its not as rockered as the Bibby (my son owns the 184 Bibby pro and I have skied it). It came with a 0.75/3.0 almost race tune (which I like) and a flat bottom. I was planning on buying a 190cm Wildcat, but decided a 112mm ski versus a 118mm ski would be more useful in New England. I also have a 143mm wide powder ski, so I already have a long floaty powder charger. I think Greg summed it up pretty well, if you want an off piste powder ski, go Wildcat, if you want a better carver and better firm snow "wide" charger, go CT 3.0. I like the nickname Unicorn ski, as you won't see it again, although who knows what may change again. Other than someone who owns the 2021 CT 1-3.0 skis or has demo'd them, you can't trust anyone's past knowledge or description of them.

Sponsor

Staff online