• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Moment Skis Discussion

AEV

Booting up
Skier
I mean I'm seriously confused on whether I want it or not. Like will it match up with my style and the mountains I ski

AEV

Booting up
Skier
Yes. I live in North Lake Tahoe. I have Epic and Ikon. I prefer Squaw/Alpine, Kirkwood and Mammoth. I will be logging a lot of short Heavenly days though since I'm going back to school down there.

I have some trips planned for Jackson Hole, Sun Valley, Grand Targhee, Alta/Bird

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great post @ScottB and yes @AEV, you will like the 2021 CT 3.0. Think you’re confusing yourself as it is kinda unreal all the things the 3.0 does well and how many great skis it’s a combo of.

You asked about the Rustler 11 in the other thread, just imagine a slightly narrower version with less taper, less tip splay so more effective edge with a bit stiffer flex. So many a hair less off piste biased but more on piste biased in the CT 3.0. Or a wider Cochise 106 with more rocker and splay and easier to release tail for off piste. So easier off piste in the CT 3.0 but still a great carver like the Cochise. Good mix of those skis.

Vs the Wildcats, again less taper, more effective edge and more of a carver. Similar weight and flex although the CT 3.0 is a bit stiffer tip/tail and a bit heavier but similar feel on the snow. The Wildcat maybe likes going straight even more but the CT 3.0 more fun carving at non insane speeds while still going highway speeds with ease. Both awesome in crud and off piste with the Wildcat a bit more surfy and the CT 3.0 more precise.

Now that I have the CT 1.0 with it’s similar weight and feel to the CT 2.0, I just wish there was a CT 2.5 so I don’t have to pull out a 112mm underfoot for heavy afternoon crud. If they made a 106mm version with more splay than the CT 2.0 it would be perfect. I’d use the Wildcat 108 for soft snow days or Spring days where the 112mm is kinda wide to start the day rather than the “too narrow” CT 2.0 and the “too wide for morning groomers” CT 3.0. Have to say, my 184cm 3.0 were very good for that when I used them this Spring but a 106-108mm ski would be great.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Let me preface this with I don't own any wide charger skis, except my son's 184cm Bibby Pro. I haven't been on any of the skis in your quiver.

The CT 3.0 seems like a great ski for the Tahoe area. I spent a week there and experienced Sierra cement for the first time. A slight drift if you will indulge me, on day one's first run of the trip at Squaw, there was a long line on one lift and no line on another lift. In NE, you avoid lines. At Squaw, there is a reason why there is no line. Iciest trail I have ever been on, bar none. A few hours of sun later, great trail. Live and learn.

Greg reports the CT 3.0 is great in NE for frozen mornings that soften up into corn, mashed potatoes, slush. I have a old Ski Logik Ullr's Charriot twin tip, 101mm underfoot, 178cm, 15m turn radius. Its too short for someone my size, but I love the ski on spring days. Its full camber and carves really well, it has 145mm wide tips and floats on top of the slush, and can make any turn radius you want, but it doesn't pivot at all.

I see the CT 3.0 as the properly sized modern version of my Charriot and I will probably retire the Charriot. It has rocker, so it will pivot, it has a long effective edge (I measure my ski) so it will carve well. By its shape and turn radius it will be stable and a little jibby (not that I ?jibe?) and due to its stiffness and weight, it will charge and handle speed. I can tell it won't be as loose as the Bibby, due to less rocker, but what I love about the Bibby the most is you can go over any surface and nothing phases the ski. The CT 3.0 might not be quite as good on that feature, but its heavy enough to be very good. I am OK taking a chance on the ski.

The only other thing I could say is find someone with one next season, try it, and then go find a used one to buy if you like it. I am going to Taos for the meet up, and I will bring my CT 3.0 with me. I basically bought it for that trip, and other western adventures.

I do own a Blizzard Zero G 108mm ski in 185cm length. It is the same ski as a Cochise with a light weight core and carbon. Same shape and rocker. I don't think the CT 3.0 will be extremely similar to a Cochise, but could be used for similar conditions. Cochise likes really long radius turns or it want to pivot. Not much in-between that. I really like my Zero G as a touring ski and 50/50 resort ski, but it doesn't feel much like my Ski Logik twin tip ski. I expect the CT 3.0 to feel somewhat similar to the Ski logik, only better since it has decent rocker. The Ski Logik is surprisingly stable at speed, even with the 15m radius, so I have no doubt the CT 3.0 will handle lots of speed.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Ron, not to be contradictory, but you owned/skied the 2018 CT 3.0 I believe from looking at your old posts. That ski is not very similar to the 2021 CT 3.0, very drastic differences in the skis. The shape changed, the weight got a lot heavier, the flex changed, and the width changed. Also you were on the 186cm length, AEV is a big guy and is looking at the 190cm length. The name is still the same, but the old ski is not that similar to the 2021 version we have been discussing in this thread.

the cool thing about being a ski tester and friends with faction dealers, you get to see more than one season of ski's :). But I did miss the part about skiing the 190. my apologies

AEV

Booting up
Skier
Iciest trail I have ever been on, bar none. A few hours of sun later, great trail. Live and learn.

Greg reports the CT 3.0 is great in NE for frozen mornings that soften up into corn, mashed potatoes, slush.

I can tell it won't be as loose as the Bibby, due to less rocker, but what I love about the Bibby the most is you can go over any surface and nothing phases the ski. The CT 3.0 might not be quite as good on that feature, but its heavy enough to be very good. I am OK taking a chance on the ski.

Cochise likes really long radius turns or it want to pivot. Not much in-between that.

We ski a lot of variable conditions at Squaw. I find it to be one of the more "weather affected" mountains I've skied in western USA. My style is kinda like straight down the fall line through all this stuff, long radius guerrilla turns or pivoting when I encounter obstacles. Sounds like the CT3.0 handles all this stuff fairly well, but it may just not suit my style as much as I want it to. I bet I could make it work well, and have fun with it, but I think I'm seeking something more straight and loose.

Wildcats suit my style of skiing perfectly, however I ultimately want something heavier than the 108, and the 118 is too wide for my current quiver. I will definitely have more Wildcats in my future though. Maybe even this upcoming season.

I think the Cochise 106 is the ski I seek though. I don't mind more directional either. Commander 108 looks sick, but how does it pivot compared to a Cochise? I'd prefer Moment, but I think I'm starting to prioritize that pivot-ability for my next purchase.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
the cool thing about being a ski tester and friends with faction dealers, you get to see more than one season of ski's :). But I did miss the part about skiing the 190. my apologies
Did you ski the 2021 CT 3.0 ? I didn't see if you answered AEV's question. If you did I missed it.

robertc3

Out on the slopes
Skier
Lots of great deals on skiburger.com with the last of the 20/21 models 20% off. Some of the skis got significant changes for 21/22, but some were just topsheet refreshes and are otherwise identical to the 20/21s on sale.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Ron
Did you ski the 2021 CT 3.0 ? I didn't see if you answered AEV's question. If you did I missed it.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Finally took a pic of the Moment quiver together…

-C98 (188)
-Deathwish (190)
5A812A1B-F5C9-4255-9414-ADA371D4EFE5.jpeg

Last edited:

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
22/23 Site is up.

No new models. New graphics, and some materials change: poplar instead of aspen.

Will be interesting to see what comes up in the reserve section.

Liz is thinking about replacing her Sierras (mounted with pin bindings) with Sierra Tours.

I'm not sure if I am going to get a moment this year. Everything I have is pretty fresh....but the Deathwish 104s are tempting. I would have loved to see a Deathwish 104 Tour.

Last edited:

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
22/23 Site is up.

No new models. New graphics, and some materials change: poplar instead of aspen.

Will be interesting to see what comes up in the reserve section.

Liz is thinking about replacing her Sierras (mounted with pin bindings) with Sierra Tours.

I'm not sure if I am going to get a moment this year. Everything I have is pretty fresh....but the Deathwish 104s are tempting. I would have loved to see a Deathwish 104 Tour.
I was considering a WC 108 this year but holding off for a Black Ops 108/110. I did get the DW104's last year and love them on soft slush/snow! Very versatile ski - can always be found in the back of the car no matter what resort/ski conditions are like!

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
@Brian Finch knowing what you know about Moment…is there a model that would make a good EC tree ski?…Wildcat 101?

My fav EC tree ski from them was the Jaguar Shark - interesting as it was 182 cm / 116mm waist / flat tail ; flex was just butter. I think the lineage of the JS was passed to the WC101 with respect to the flex patterns. The other ski that I'd love to spin on in the trees would be the Death Wish 104, but I fear the running length would be really short on the piste. Just my thoughts.

Ive been after them for a while to make a more EC ski; they seem 100mm committed, but were kind enough to allow me to purchase a left over David Wise Transition (84mm). Need to sort out where to mount it for this season.

Reactions: BC.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
were kind enough to allow me to purchase a left over David Wise Transition (84mm)
You'll have to let us know how they work. I keep needling Luke to build a narrower wide carver/all mountain for those of us who don't want or need a 98+ for our regular Sierra conditions. They know their audience and seem to be doing well so I get they don't want to waste time in an already crowded segment.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
@Brian Finch knowing what you know about Moment…is there a model that would make a good EC tree ski?…Wildcat 101?

I've A/B'd the WC101 and DW104 extensively -- I own the DW, a fellow patroller owns the 101. Both would be a good EC tree ski.

The DW has a very slightly lower speed limit, WC has maybe 1-2% more top end in thick crud.
Both are very quick in bumps for a 10X. I'd call it a wash. DW is slightly softer flex which is nice, but the WC has a bit more taper. (Note the 104 is stiffer than the 112 DW version.)
The WC is a bit more at home on the park, the triple camber can feel a bit odd at times when quickly moving between switch and regular. (In general, the WC is better at straightlining and feeling "neutral", while the DW likes to be on edge.)
The DW is more energetic and grippier on groomers (triple camber and less taper.)

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've A/B'd the WC101 and DW104 extensively -- I own the DW, a fellow patroller owns the 101. Both would be a good EC tree ski.

The DW has a very slightly lower speed limit, WC has maybe 1-2% more top end in thick crud.
Both are very quick in bumps for a 10X. I'd call it a wash. DW is slightly softer flex which is nice, but the WC has a bit more taper. (Note the 104 is stiffer than the 112 DW version.)
The WC is a bit more at home on the park, the triple camber can feel a bit odd at times when quickly moving between switch and regular. (In general, the WC is better at straightlining and feeling "neutral", while the DW likes to be on edge.)
The DW is more energetic and grippier on groomers (triple camber and less taper.)
Thanks…I know u know Moments real well too….and are always spot on with your reviews.

I’ve already got a 112 DW as my travel ski….so that’s why I was thinking trying a WC101 just to mix it up for slarving purposes if I know I’m gonna be in tight trees all day.

Sponsor

Staff online