• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Moment Skis Discussion

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I think that makes sense. Honestly, the 101 could be a great travel ski as well depending on where you're going. I really like the 101 on steep chalk. Super nimble, likes being in the air and very predictable.

Flo

Getting on the lift
Skier
I own the Deathwish and demoed the Wildcat 101 and did not really like it. Not enough grip on groomer. I would prefer to ride my DW than the wildcat 101 in low tide. (For reference I also had the regular WC and prefer the DW). The thing is that the DW is so versatile that it’s hard to find a complement that does not overlap. I bought the Line Blade at the end of the season, hopefully it will be great but I must say that I would love for Moment to make a DW 94 with metal in it (something between the DW 104 and the burly commander 96).

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
To show how versatile the Deathwish apparently is,

At A Basin, CO, I met a Moment pro (who gets lots of free Moment skis, whichever ones he wants,
and also prototypes most models for them). He coaches the National mogul team, and at times other bump teams,
and thus coaches Olympic bumpers. He can ski.

I asked him which is his favorite Moment, since he's pretty much skied almost all of them, and at different lengths also.
He said it was the Deathwish, except shorter, maybe 165 or 170 (He looked about 5'8", 180+ lbs.),
because he uses them in bump fields, including while coaching. Lordy.

(This was before the Deathwish 104.)

Last edited:
TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Would agree with Wildcat 101 being a fun ski that’s super easy to pivot but when things are firm, it’s short effective edge that you can keep sharp(contact area/running length) it doesn’t have great grip. Had the PB&J before it was updated to the Wildcat 101 and was disappointed with both its edge grip in the East and float in the West. Deathwish 104 would be a better option for both grip and float.

An intriguing East Coast tree ski around 100mm would be the Unleashed 98. Large splay like a Moment/ON3P but low taper so it should still bite firmer snow. You’d be able to run 1/3 bevels sharp right up to the widest points tip/tail too. Just wish it was heavier ski.

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
I got about 80 days on the Cat 101's in the last couple years in Utah and love them , however, if i was looking for an EC tree ski id look elsewhere.
some of those fast and firm days during last winters mid season drought got a little scary (think Regulator Johnson on a sheet of ice)

Just picked up the new DW104's expecting an improvement on edgehold . Love the regular DWs so i cant wait to get on the 104's

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Look what showed up today…C98 with Slayer sidewall…
5BEC01CC-294E-472B-8767-1365BF3971F6.jpeg

Install pics coming soon….

JChockey22

Putting on skis
Skier
So I Have 19 days on my DW104s and holy cow are these skis amazing they really do everything I want them too from laying down canyons on the the groomers blasting through mid day crud or taking a lap or 2 through the park. so glad I went with Moments (the first time I went to their site and saw the pic of the outside of their factory something told me to buy from them) I spent days deciding between the DW104 and the WC108 and the gentleman I spoke with Fasa Nelson was amazing at explaining everything between and pros and cons .. really an amazing company

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Moment announced a 196cm Wildcat option and a new 110mm ski coming out soon! The 110mm sounds like it’s a new version of an existing ski.
I’m listening…….

Well given how easy it is to ski the 190cm Wildcats in the right conditions why not really. Will only add more float in powder.

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Clearwater Beach, Fl and Pisgah Forest, NC
I know the Bibby/Wildcats have evolved through the years but I haven't really kept up on the evolution so I'm wondering if one of you guys here can bring me up to speed. Several years back, I owned some 190 OG BIbbys (maybe 2013-15ish) and they were a great ski for me in a lot of conditions but I ended up selling them as they were a bit overkill. With my fused ankle and zero dorsiflexion, there are 2 places I can still charge hard, groomers and untracked powder, but I have to really dial it back in heavy chop or other bumpy terrain. As good as my Bibbys were at destroying chop I just didn't need the "best in class" dampness, plus I didn't find them (at least the 190s) as nimble as other powder skis in tight trees or bumped up steep terrain as they seemed to want you to point them down the fall line and rage. Basically, with my ankle's speed limit, I need to make more turns than the average charger in bumpy terrain so my pow ski quiver evolved to lighter, softer and more nimble skis. However, there was so much about the Bibbys that I loved and I've often thought about getting another pair, especially since I've heard that they've dialed back some of the charginess in the Wildcats. When Jonathan Ellsworth was throwing tantrums after they "ruined" the Bibby, I immediately was thinking that the new version sounded like the perfect playful charging compromise for me, especially if by it becoming lighter and softer, it also became more nimble. But it sounds like in recent years, they've been trying to shift the scales back to more charge, less play so it's a little confusing on which iteration would best meet my needs. I really wish they made a wider Deathwish as I'd love that level of nimbleness, in the 118mm width. Buy maybe the Wildcat has become that since I sold my OGs. Thanks!

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I know the Bibby/Wildcats have evolved through the years but I haven't really kept up on the evolution so I'm wondering if one of you guys here can bring me up to speed. Several years back, I owned some 190 OG BIbbys (maybe 2013-15ish) and they were a great ski for me in a lot of conditions but I ended up selling them as they were a bit overkill. With my fused ankle and zero dorsiflexion, there are 2 places I can still charge hard, groomers and untracked powder, but I have to really dial it back in heavy chop or other bumpy terrain. As good as my Bibbys were at destroying chop I just didn't need the "best in class" dampness, plus I didn't find them (at least the 190s) as nimble as other powder skis in tight trees or bumped up steep terrain as they seemed to want you to point them down the fall line and rage. Basically, with my ankle's speed limit, I need to make more turns than the average charger in bumpy terrain so my pow ski quiver evolved to lighter, softer and more nimble skis. However, there was so much about the Bibbys that I loved and I've often thought about getting another pair, especially since I've heard that they've dialed back some of the charginess in the Wildcats. When Jonathan Ellsworth was throwing tantrums after they "ruined" the Bibby, I immediately was thinking that the new version sounded like the perfect playful charging compromise for me, especially if by it becoming lighter and softer, it also became more nimble. But it sounds like in recent years, they've been trying to shift the scales back to more charge, less play so it's a little confusing on which iteration would best meet my needs. I really wish they made a wider Deathwish as I'd love that level of nimbleness, in the 118mm width. Buy maybe the Wildcat has become that since I sold my OGs. Thanks!
They went lighter with the introduction of the Wildcat in 2019, got the heavier core, new sidewalls and faster base in 21 to get close to Bibby specs and then in 22 they added thicker/heavier plastic tip/tail spacers. Weight is now identical to original Bibby specs but better built and with faster bases.

Depending on your size, getting the current 116mm 184cm Wildcat and maybe mounting back a cm will give you what you want. Would be more playful, more fun at lower speeds but a similar feel to all the things you liked about the Bibby. Had the 184cm Bibby myself before and it was fun at my 175lbs.

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Clearwater Beach, Fl and Pisgah Forest, NC
They went lighter with the introduction of the Wildcat in 2019, got the heavier core, new sidewalls and faster base in 21 to get close to Bibby specs and then in 22 they added thicker/heavier plastic tip/tail spacers. Weight is now identical to original Bibby specs but better built and with faster bases.

Depending on your size, getting the current 116mm 184cm Wildcat and maybe mounting back a cm will give you what you want. Would be more playful, more fun at lower speeds but a similar feel to all the things you liked about the Bibby. Had the 184cm Bibby myself before and it was fun at my 175lbs.
Thanks Greg! Yeah, I almost dropped to the 184 Bibby when I sold my 190s but I'm 190-195 so I think the 190 is the right length. May keep my eyes open for a 2019. Given the heritage, I understand what Moment is doing with the newer builds, even if it's not for me. I wonder how much dampness the Wildcat tours give up with their lighter weight vs the normal build. Probably fairly substantial which means I'm likely better off with one of the other playful chargers.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Thanks Greg! Yeah, I almost dropped to the 184 Bibby when I sold my 190s but I'm 190-195 so I think the 190 is the right length. May keep my eyes open for a 2019. Given the heritage, I understand what Moment is doing with the newer builds, even if it's not for me. I wonder how much dampness the Wildcat tours give up with their lighter weight vs the normal build. Probably fairly substantial which means I'm likely better off with one of the other playful chargers.
Similar feel in the Tour versions but lighter and less damp of course.
Maybe a 188cm Rustler 11 might fit the bill. Lighter than the latest Wildcat but similar flex pattern, lighter swing weight and a lower but still long turn radius. Would be in that 19 Wildcat range I think and lots of deals I’m sure on it soon with Spring Sales.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The touring model might work well for you as a powder ski, but not as a crud buster. My son has a 2017 Bibby 184, last year of the playful charger design. I really liked the ski, but with me at 240 lbs, not enough float. My son is 5'10", 170 lbs and perfect for him. My friend who is a bit smaller than my son, has the 184 touring model and he doesn't like it for resort skiing, not damp enough. East Coast, so always some hard pack snow. I just bought a 190 2016 Bibby and skied it on Utah and steamboat. Powder days. It's a heavy ski and takes effort to throw it around in moguls. I hear you. Lots of pluses, but I know what you mean.

I agree with Greg, the first gen of the wildcat is what you want, or a lighter ski for pow and moguls.

skifotm

Booting up
Industry Insider
For anyone East of the Mississippi curious about all things Moment, Fire On The Mountain in Dover, NH has been selling Moment's for a couple of seasons so far. The Deathwish 104 and Commander 98 have been crushing it out here. They have demos of the following models: Deathwish 104, Wildcat 101 and Commander 98. Not a lot of options in the East to check these out in person so wanted to pass this along. They also stock Wildcat and Deathwish Tour models and the Hot Mess and Bella Tour for the ladies. Of course, plenty of binding options to go with the skis from Pivots to ATK. Give a call and get set up today for a test run. Snow is finally in the East!

Sponsor

Staff online