• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Montec ski wear gear reviews?

gooseblitz

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Does anyone here have any experience with Montec? I keep seeing their gear in my social media feeds. Would love some unbiased opinion on durability and if the waterproof/breathability claims are accurate.

Thanks!

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
Does anyone here have any experience with Montec? I keep seeing their gear in my social media feeds. Would love some unbiased opinion on durability and if the waterproof/breathability claims are accurate.

Thanks!
Same question. I was thinking about pulling the trigger on some but wanted some independent reviews.

Flo

Getting on the lift
Skier
I don't have experience with it but read few feedbacks on forums. Montec / Dope are the same company (Ridestore). Basically, you have what you pay for, 25k of waterproofing are optimistic, breathability is ok. All their jacket, even non insulated have a liner (not true shell). Delivery can take a while and they do mass marketing on social medias, so you will look like a bunch of kids on the hill. For 200$ they seem to be a good deal.

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have a Dune jacket (insulated pullover) and Tempest jacket (uninsulated softshell pullover). Love the style but they didn’t fit me right. I am usually Patagonia M so I ordered M for both. The Dune was big, but the Tempest fit small. The neck came up to my nose and I had a hard time getting my head out of the jacket. Maybe I have a short neck. It just didn’t fit my shape and size.
The material felt stiff to my liking so I wanted to return them. Customer service asked me to give them a try before returning, so I wore them out last week. I find the insulation not enough for me in low teens temperature (with a heavy base and nano puff underneath). The jacket also got wet on my lower back from sitting on snow on the chair. My layers did not get wet but I felt cold/cold air coming through. I have no idea why the jacket was dry except for that one patch. I really want to like the jacket because I see it around and everyone looked so good in it...but their style/sizing just wasn’t a fit for me. I did order a bib and it should arrive next week.

TS
G

gooseblitz

Skier
I have a Dune jacket (insulated pullover) and Tempest jacket (uninsulated softshell pullover). Love the style but they didn’t fit me right. I am usually Patagonia M so I ordered M for both. The Dune was big, but the Tempest fit small. The neck came up to my nose and I had a hard time getting my head out of the jacket. Maybe I have a short neck. It just didn’t fit my shape and size.
The material felt stiff to my liking so I wanted to return them. Customer service asked me to give them a try before returning, so I wore them out last week. I find the insulation not enough for me in low teens temperature (with a heavy base and nano puff underneath). The jacket also got wet on my lower back from sitting on snow on the chair. My layers did not get wet but I felt cold/cold air coming through. I have no idea why the jacket was dry except for that one patch. I really want to like the jacket because I see it around and everyone looked so good in it...but their style/sizing just wasn’t a fit for me. I did order a bib and it should arrive next week.
Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate it. You really can't beat the price. If it is at all a decent coat then it is worth it.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
They're really hard to assess. The standard across the rest of the industry is to be really transparent about the product specs, even when most of them mean nothing to the average consumer. Fiber content, fabric weight, whether it's a single weave or double weave or twill. They also stamp every page with a 5 star review that says "Great!" - but when you click into reviews, you don't see which reviews correspond with which products, and the UX only shows you a portion of the reviews. I do web merchandising & UX, and they're departing from a lot of industry norms in a way that obfuscates what they're selling and how customers feel about it.

They also have signs of follower-buying. They have huge growth between their launch in Oct 2019 and Jan 2020, when they level out at a few thousand likes per photo. Then the likes stay pretty consistent at a few thousand from Feb/March 2020 through today. nd that rate has been consistent through 2020 and 2021. But if you look at their brand name on Google Trends, they had a ton of search growth during the winter of 2020-2021. It's a red flag to me when engagement rates don't trend in the same direction between their primary traffic source (google) and primary customer acquisition method (IG).

1641453467344.png

They also have "powered by Yopto" on their reviews page, but when you look at the source code, nothing is coded to call Yopto. If you look at websites that use Yopto review software, like Allbirds, Chubbies, Helly Hansen, you can see their source code reference Yopto.

Oh, and it's also a major departure from industry standards to not have a warranty policy. And they have a 3-5 day delivery promise on their website, but serve a 3-7 day window during checkout. Ship timing and communication are heavily regulated by the FTC, so it seems like a super amateur move to have contradictory ship statement on site. If the brand really has 224k followers, they're of a size where they should have ecomm professionals and legal counsel who are aware of these regulations.

Overall, no clue what the product is like, but there are so many red flags and shady practices.

Truberski

Getting off the lift
Skier
Hard to top Analisa’s response but I recently stumbled on this brand when I was looking for a less tech looking hardshell jacket. And, perhaps coincidentally I started to notice people wearing their stuff this season at local hill (Stratton). What struck me was the “slickness” of their website for such a new brand, lower pricing, and proprietary or relabeled waterproof membranes. Not all bad with this but it gave me pause and I just wasn’t motivated enough by their designs or story to cheat on my favored brands.

Side note, I’m really loving Norrona and ended up with their Tamok shell. Kind of cool longer and less techy styling without looking like one of my kids with the baggy, gangster attire! Never say never but may have ended my search for perfect shell.

Last edited:

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I saw a number of younger people wearing Montec this past weekend. I'd never heard of them so I looked them up here. I think @Analisa sums things up well.

TS
G

gooseblitz

Skier
Hard to top Analisa’s response but I recently stumbled on this brand when I was looking for a less tech looking hardshell jacket. And, perhaps coincidentally I started to notice people wearing their stuff this season at local hill (Stratton). What struck me was the “slickness” of their website for such a new brand, lower pricing, and proprietary or relabeled waterproof membranes. Not all bad with this but it gave me pause and I just wasn’t motivated enough by their designs or story to cheat on my favored brands.

Side note, I’m really loving Norrona and ended up with their Tamok shell. Kind of cool longer and less techy styling without looking like one of my kids with the baggy, gangster attire! Never say never but may have ended my search for perfect shell.
I love Norrona too.

Sponsor

Staff online