• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Most common trail names?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
From the "Best Runs" thread:

I am not very big on memorizing the names of trails, they tend to blend together after a while. Also some of the ones are common to several ski areas.
You have trails like Racers Edge and Razors Edge in many different areas. How many areas have trails called Widow Maker, Outer Limits or a beginners trail called Snowflake. So my favorite is the trail I happen to be on that I can ski with all the enjoyment of our sport.

That sparked a reminder about talking to @Philpug a few weeks ago about common trail names... and got me wondering what the most common is. In addition to what @Uncle-A noted, the common ones we came up with were:
  • Gunbarrel
  • Main Street
  • Exhibition
  • Highline
For some reason, with the exception of Main Street, in my experience those run names are usually on bump runs.

Any others people know that are common?

James

Out There
Instructor
I’ve never heard of “Gunbarrel” other than wherever out west. How did you come up with that? :ogcool:
Exhibition vs Liftline, followed by Highline would be my bet. Though Skyline could beat out Highline.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve never heard of “Gunbarrel” other than wherever out west. How did you come up with that? :ogcool:
Exhibition vs Liftline, followed by Highline would be my bet. Though Skyline could beat out Highline.
Gunbarrel I know locally here (Roundtop), and at Heavenly, and at Monarch. Not sure if there are others.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Showtime under a lift

edit: I may have been thinking about Showcase

Average Joe

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sundown, CT race trail is Gunbarrel:
1621795084263.png

James

Out There
Instructor
Wait, so now we’re including Europe?

It would be mildly surprising that the French called something “Gunbarrel” in Chamonix. Who named it, Glen Plake? ogsmile
You have a reference for this?

Is there a “Gunbarrel” in New England north of CT? I figured Canon, but no. Next up would be Sugarloaf, but none there either.

Last edited:

Saintsman

Getting off the lift
Skier
I would imagine that there's more than a few "Les Sources" in the Alpes. Probably a few "Aguiles" or variations on the theme

Edit - and every hill probably has a run called "Le Couloir de (insert local geographic name here)"

Last edited:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Blue mountain has one here..
Which Blue Mountain are you talking about, because I can't think of a trail called Gunbarrel at the one in PA. But I don't memorize trail names.

Sponsor