• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Most Durable SL Race Poles

TS
N

nnowak

Getting on the lift
Skier
That text you highlighted for the 16mm aluminum WCR TBS poles is identical to the Venom Carbon poles. On the LEKI international website, only the Venom Carbon description lists the protective aluminum sheathing. As I said, I think that line about a protective aluminum sheathing was inadvertently copied from the Venom poles.

TS
N

nnowak

Getting on the lift
Skier

James

Out There
Instructor
Unfortunately my daughter thinks they look hideous. I think they look better than a broken LEKI, but she's not convinced. Also, in-stock sizes are too short.
What color we looking for? By the time you put the guards on…

54inch and cut down:

Swix aluminum, 18mm. About $90

TS
N

nnowak

Getting on the lift
Skier
What color we looking for? By the time you put the guards on…

54inch and cut down:

Swix aluminum, 18mm. About $90

What color? Haaaa, that's a good one.

I have a bit of habit of hacking together unorthodox combinations when it comes to ski gear. Marker Comp 16's on a Rossignol plate on some 157cm SL skis? Check. Marker piston plate on a pair of Stockli Stormrider 95's? Check.

Her "color" preference would be some Komperdell NationalTeam poles with LEKI grips and navy blue Swix guards. Second choice would be some hack job with Swix poles.

I almost feel like I have failed as a father in not getting her to use standard pole straps, but just like every other kid on her team, she loves the quick in and out of the LEKI grips.

JTurner

Always tryin' to get better
Skier
Kinda tongue in cheek because they’re essentially not available anymore, but the first thing that came to mind was those Scott World Cup series 4 poles. Those things were awesome.

James

Out There
Instructor
but just like every other kid on her team, she loves the quick in and out of the LEKI grips.
Can you not take the LEKI grips from the broken poles and put on something else? I’ve seen it done, but it was old LEKI grip system on new poles. Or vice versa.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Can you not take the LEKI grips from the broken poles and put on something else?

I was totally expecting to hear about the grips being recycled directly and the old poles used as sectioned shims for reinforcing the new poles beyond the guard clamp point.

#quitshoppingstarthacking

James

Out There
Instructor
I almost feel like I have failed as a father in not getting her to use standard pole straps
Don’t worry, we have plenty of failures here…er…I mean LEKI system users.

TS
N

nnowak

Getting on the lift
Skier
Can you not take the LEKI grips from the broken poles and put on something else? I’ve seen it done, but it was old LEKI grip system on new poles. Or vice versa.
That's basically my plan. Her old poles were the 16mm diameter junior versions, so I tracked down a couple sets of new 18mm LEKI grips. Now I just need to figure out which brand of 18mm poles to use them on. Unless someone can convince me that LEKI SL poles are the most durable option available.

TS
N

nnowak

Getting on the lift
Skier
Kinda tongue in cheek because they’re essentially not available anymore, but the first thing that came to mind was those Scott World Cup series 4 poles. Those things were awesome.
If only. I am always a little envious whenever I see someone out there still rockin' the fluorescent green and orange world cups.

TS
N

nnowak

Getting on the lift
Skier
I was totally expecting to hear about the grips being recycled directly and the old poles used as sectioned shims for reinforcing the new poles beyond the guard clamp point.

#quitshoppingstarthacking
The thought did cross my mind to pop the grip off of an 18mm aluminum pole, pour it full with epoxy, and then stuff a skinny 13mm carbon pole inside before the epoxy set up.

James

Out There
Instructor
Her old poles were the 16mm diameter junior versions
Have you taken the grip off? The one LEKI grip I’ve seen taken apart had a thin spacer tube in it. Maybe all the grips are 18mm and they space them?

Btw, if you want a set of gs? bent Scott poles in that classic green, pretty sure I know a store.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The thought did cross my mind to pop the grip off of an 18mm aluminum pole, pour it full with epoxy, and then stuff a skinny 13mm carbon pole inside before the epoxy set up.
That might work if you wrap the shaft with tape rings first and use some good filler.

TS
N

nnowak

Getting on the lift
Skier
Have you taken the grip off? The one LEKI grip I’ve seen taken apart had a thin spacer tube in it. Maybe all the grips are 18mm and they space them?

Btw, if you want a set of gs? bent Scott poles in that classic green, pretty sure I know a store.
The junior grips are definitely 16mm internal diameter with no spacers. I am guessing those were adult grips you had with the spacer as LEKI seems to be transitioning from 18mm to 16mm on the adult poles.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Anyone have any comments on which SL poles seem to hold up the best to the repeated abuse of SL racing? My daughter has broken multiple LEKI poles. Not from any crashes, but fatigue fractures just below where the pole guard is attached. Would the 19mm Komperdell or 18mm Swix Carbon last longer? Any other model to consider? Or should I just buy whatever is cheapest on sale because "they all do that"?

What is she doing with the poles? Poles brake from time to time, if you fall on them or something, but from regular (ab)use? Uncommon inme. TBH I haven't seen any real difference in durability, as long as you're using race gear. Carbon or alu should be fine. They are built to take a beating. Perhaps she needs to do something different? Let her run the course w/o poles. Very good practice for balance too.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
What is she doing with the poles? Poles brake from time to time, if you fall on them or something, but from regular (ab)use? Uncommon inme. TBH I haven't seen any real difference in durability, as long as you're using race gear. Carbon or alu should be fine. They are built to take a beating. Perhaps she needs to do something different? Let her run the course w/o poles. Very good practice for balance too.
[15 years later, daughter confesses that it was all about the Friar Tuck-style crossed-stick contests happening in the back of the bus.]

TS
N

nnowak

Getting on the lift
Skier
She almost never falls, much more smooth and consistent. It is just the repetitive stress impacts from cross blocking. She is starting to wear a hole in both pole guards from always contacting gates in the same spot. The issue seems to have gotten worse last year because she had a jump in speed as well as spending a lot more time in the 72" adult gates instead of the lightweight 60" "hero" gates.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
She almost never falls, much more smooth and consistent. It is just the repetitive stress impacts from cross blocking. She is starting to wear a hole in both pole guards from always contacting gates in the same spot. The issue seems to have gotten worse last year because she had a jump in speed as well as spending a lot more time in the 72" adult gates instead of the lightweight 60" "hero" gates.

that's it, time for some aramid facings on her poles - or go organic and use shagreen/ stingray

Sponsor

Staff online