• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Most Iconic Skiing Photo?

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Most-iconic-ski-photos-SkiTalk.jpg

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Stein Ericksen's sexy 60s turn-- hands down, but I'm of a certain age that Johnny Mosley's Mute 360 in the 98 Olympic bump run is burned into my memory-- don't know if there was a super iconic photo (below looks about right), but in my teenage memory it's like he stopped time frozen in mid-air.

View attachment 145858
I remember him doing it on Letterman!

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
There are so many images that capture the essence of a skiing style or period makes it near impossible to nail one down. That photo of Dick Durrance skiing at full steam, in a short sleeve-t with no gloves carving on what appears to be wood skis in chop is iconic and one for the ages. Further support is provided with Dick being immortalized on a medal....

1634851699115.png

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ted Ligety dropped his GoPro during training and it snapped this as it hit the surface. While there may be better photos this would be in the running for best photo by a dropped camera. TL added effects after the fact but it’s really a still.

VickiK

Out on the slopes
Skier
Dave McCoy! Iconic, against that backdrop of mountains! Looks like he'll just ski out of the picture frame and smoothly carve his next turn.
Although Dick Durrance looks like he'll shoot out of the frame and ski right over my head. Powerful image.

Carl

On the north side of the mountain
Skier
Apparently I only remember the 98 Olympics, but remember the Herminator's epic crash photo?

View attachment 145885

Mere mortals would have spent days in the hospital after that crash, if they had not been sent directly to the morgue. He was favored in that downhill. So what did he do? He went on to win the gold in Super-G and Giant Slalom. Truly the most bad ass skier in world cup history!

----

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
So many great pics. Hard to rate them for me.

I love the Dick Durrance pic. It has special meaning to me, as he and my dad were college classmates, teammates and friends. Such a classic picture.

The Stein pic is equally classic and recognizable. A whole lot of style.

That Klammer pic was on the cover of Sports Illustrated. Probably my favorite race run of all time!

Fun thread!

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid