• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Most Iconic Skiing Photo?

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
Not a photo, but Vinko Bogataj the Agony of Defeat guy needs some mention here.

1634859922861.png

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
Should be short thread.

Since OP asked for "most" and "photo" (singular), the answer is Franz in Innsbruck (1976). Came to post that and the correct answer is already up.

Desmond Howard in Heisman Pose (Nov 1991) is the answer for college football, FWIW.

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not a photo, but Vinko Bogataj the Agony of Defeat guy needs some mention here.
I heard that years later he came out of Russia on invitation to some sort of "remember when" event, and was shocked to find out that millions of people knew who he was because he'd been immortalized on TV.

It's not right that the Iron Maiden hasn't got a mention here yet. But how can you pick one photo out of such an amazing career?
LindseyVonn01.jpg

QueueCT

Getting off the lift
Skier
Being of a certain age, the Wayne Wong photo has always been one of my favorites. Hot dogging on a bluebird day on K2 Comps was the dream as a kid skiing in SE Michigan.

It doesn't matter who the racer is (Cuche, in this case), I always found this Hahnenkamm photo angle captures the essence of the event.

1635183425530.png

SkierGolferNH

Putting on skis
Instructor
There are a lot of great pics here, but the question is "iconic" and for my money there is no better pic that this one of Dick Durrance in New Zealand in 1937 (yes, I have the book and I highly recommend it to anyone interested in ski history) What I love about this pic is: no gloves, no hat, and rolled up sleeves. He's hunched over because that's what was needed to get forward, but look at him waist down and even today, those are pretty good angles. For my money he's the best skier of all time.

1635431600033.png

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Ingemar Stenmark
IIRC, he won the race.

From the OP‘s post I am partial to the upside down Hermanator but I think I have to go with Dave McCoy in T-shirt. It epitomizes the ski area pioneer culture. Makes me think he just put in a long day building or improving something on the mountain and decided he had time for a quick run from the top.
C0DA0D73-0BD0-4598-BA7E-C8D5CF84A8FC.jpeg

Killy was a pretty iconic character, I just can’t think of a particular iconic photo…
3D48BAB7-4096-4A31-B4E3-7930C2517824.jpeg

Sponsor

Staff online