• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Most Iconic Skiing Photo?

James

Out There
Instructor
0B401CEB-D4FD-4E38-BBCA-CF56D1EE2E18.jpeg

Maybe not an iconic photo, but a photo of an icon. Jean Claude Killy 1971 St Tropez.

EFBD0461-2D6C-4ED1-BFBC-447E9A986DB0.png

Killy 1967
In the first World Cup season, he won 12 of 17 races including the Hahnenkamm and Wengen downhills plus the Combined at those venues.
https://skiinghistory.org/news/killy’s-winter-never-equaled

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Yes. Good eye!

Coach in the middle. Silver medalist Billy Kidd on the left. Bronze medalist Jimmy Huega on the right.
How young they are in that picture.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
How young they are in that picture.

Yes. The boys were just 20. So young.
Bob Beattie was only 31.

BB was the coach at CU-Boulder AND coached the USST concurrently. Heuga was a CU skier. Kidd deferred attending CU until he was injured. I don’t think he ever skied for the “Buffs,” but he is an alumnus.
Went right to Steamboat after graduation.

Heuga grew up in Squaw Valley, Billy Kidd in Stowe. Local hard working families.

Big day for US skiing.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Jimmy Huega!
parallel shins, equal edge angles, level shoulders, balanced counter & angulation. Pretty much epitomizes modern ski technique :).
521C8F34-2726-46E0-AD12-EF8C721217D7.jpeg

Muleski

Inactive
Jimmy Huega!
parallel shins, equal edge angles, level shoulders, balanced counter & angulation. Pretty much epitomizes modern ski technique :).
View attachment 147028

He was a great athlete, a Squaw local raised by French parents who put him on skis as soon as he could walk. That photo shows a lot! Thanks for posting.

Now, for the equipment geeks, that was THE SL setup of the day. Wood 205cm Kastle SL’s. Markers with turntable heels, and 6’ longthong straps. Hierling leather buckle boots. I bet those were some of the first of those boots on US feet at the time.
Replaced Molitor lace boots.

Cool pic. So sad that he was struck with MS so young.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Fantastic pic and a great time for the US. I remember the Austrian DH power team called Bill the nose picker prior to Sarajevo because of his new hands up in front of your face position. I’ll bet they changed their tune after that day.
I remember that comment, and it was more of an insult about the the guys in the lower tier of skiers than about his style.

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
Fantastic pic and a great time for the US. I remember the Austrian DH power team called Bill the nose picker prior to Sarajevo because of his new hands up in front of your face position. I’ll bet they changed their tune after that day.
His obituary
"Franz Klammer, the greatest racer of the era, dismissed him as der Nasenbohrer: the nosepicker."

Muleski

Inactive
Muleski you wrote of Jimmy Heuga that: "He was a great athlete, a Squaw local raised by French parents..." They may well have been French citizens (once) but they were more Basque than French. Just wanted to give credit to a proud branch of the human race.

Yes, 100% correct!

skiJ

Getting off the lift
Skier
His obituary
"Franz Klammer, the greatest racer of the era, dismissed him as der Nasenbohrer: the nosepicker."

Rest in peace, Billy Johnson.

skiJ

JWMN

Getting off the lift
Skier
I bought this photo online in 2008. It is an AP photo, dated on the back Feb. 9, 1964. I took it to Steamboat and was there when the Jimmy Huega Express fundraiser was being held. I "ambushed" Billy at the top of Thunderhead as he was heading for his 1:00 run. I told him I had the photo and would he sign it? He said sure, bring it to the Orehouse restaurant that evening, as the award ceremony was being held there. And, Jimmy would be there also. So I went, and brought this and a dozen or so others like it. They had a great time looking thru them, Billy could remember every race and would help Jimmy remember. And, they both signed the photo. That was the last time Jimmy was able to attend.
In 2010 I was on a boys trip to Jackson Hole. I had heard that Pepi had a ski shop there so I brought the photo. After skiing one day I found the shop and asked for Pepi. The manager said he should be back soon so I went to our locker, got the photo and went back. Pepi was there when I returned and I had a nice chat with him and he signed the photo. He seemed to be a real friendly guy. He said it was the only one he had ever signed with all 3 medal winners on it! It was quite a thrill.
Along with the 62" of snow that fell in the 5 days we were there!!
IMG_20211103_0001.jpg

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I bought this photo online in 2008. It is an AP photo, dated on the back Feb. 9, 1964. I took it to Steamboat and was there when the Jimmy Huega Express fundraiser was being held. I "ambushed" Billy at the top of Thunderhead as he was heading for his 1:00 run. I told him I had the photo and would he sign it? He said sure, bring it to the Orehouse restaurant that evening, as the award ceremony was being held there. And, Jimmy would be there also. So I went, and brought this and a dozen or so others like it. They had a great time looking thru them, Billy could remember every race and would help Jimmy remember. And, they both signed the photo. That was the last time Jimmy was able to attend.
In 2010 I was on a boys trip to Jackson Hole. I had heard that Pepi had a ski shop there so I brought the photo. After skiing one day I found the shop and asked for Pepi. The manager said he should be back soon so I went to our locker, got the photo and went back. Pepi was there when I returned and I had a nice chat with him and he signed the photo. He seemed to be a real friendly guy. He said it was the only one he had ever signed with all 3 medal winners on it! It was quite a thrill.
Along with the 62" of snow that fell in the 5 days we were there!! View attachment 147314
That’s pretty cool :cool:

Sponsor