• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Most Monsteresque

TS
T

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I scour the internet multiple times per week for used 191 M108s. I cannot get them out of my mind, and the Pro Riders are not replacements
This is the first one I've seen, ever.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
My son’s pal from college is joining the ski club and we’ve been settling him up with cheap gear. He is 6’2”, athletic/fit, boxes and does marshal arts, 180lbs. He has only skied a half dozen times but wants to commit to learning this winter.

I came across a great deal on a pair of 2016 Monster 88s AND a pair of 2020 Monster 83s (the ones with the goofy hammerhead tips). Both in 170cm. Hand flexing, the 83s feel like noodles, much softer than the 88s. Both are much softer than I remember my 2016 177 83s I used to own (they were very stiff) Maybe they are just worn out?

Both are mounted at my son’s BSL so he took a few runs on each yesterday. He hated the 83s but really liked the 88s. He commented about the fun “personality” of the 88s which the 83s (and Volkls -more on those follow) lacked.

I didn’t check the tunes and both are way too short for him. (Strong 6’, 200lbs, racer).

He is coming for a few days next week and, with the money we are saving him on gear, we convinced him to splurge on well fitted boots from Park City Ski Boot. I’m planning to move the bindings on the 88s to fit the new boots (he is a 12.5 street shoe so I’m expecting a 29.5/235ish boot) when he gets them.

I’ll play with the tune on the 83s and hopefully use them as a “guest” ski. Bindings adjust from about 295-315.

OT- We also came across a too good to pass up deal on a minty pair of 178cm Volkl Deacon Masters. We both skied them and think they will make a good learn to carve/intro to gates ski for him back east. Forgiving and easy, almost automatic carve. Not too punishing of back seat. They fall apart a bit at speed but at reasonable speeds they are very smooth and well mannered but their German personality equated to lack of for my son.

For about what he would have spent renting here next week, he now owns a two ski quiver. If we screwed up, at least he’ll have well fitted boots, nice LEKI poles (we had a pair too long for us) and skis he can sell to get his money back.

TS
T

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I came across a great deal on a pair of 2016 Monster 88s AND a pair of 2020 Monster 83s (the ones with the goofy hammerhead tips). Both in 170cm. Hand flexing, the 83s feel like noodles, much softer than the 88s. Both are much softer than I remember my 2016 177 83s I used to own (they were very stiff) Maybe they are just worn out?
It's not the 83X, is it (yellow lettering)? The Ti version has blue lettering.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
IMG_4504.jpeg

TS
T

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The situation continues to deteriorate for the mid-80s arena. Stance has gotten soft, Blossom no longer has a US distributor, and next season we are loosing Brahma and RC One 8*GT; even Heritage Labs has dropped the R87. The viable replacements list is getting shorter and shorter. Please tell me I'm forgetting something:
  • MX83/88
  • eTitan (though, no one seems to love this ski...)
  • Kendo 88
  • Redster Q9.8
  • Montero AX/AR
  • Maverick 88 (again, not much love)
One small glimmer of hope: rumors Van Deer may restart the AM88c line.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
The situation continues to deteriorate for the mid-80s arena. Stance has gotten soft, Blossom no longer has a US distributor, and next season we are loosing Brahma and RC One 8*GT; even Heritage Labs has dropped the R87. The viable replacements list is getting shorter and shorter. Please tell me I'm forgetting something:
  • MX83/88
  • Kendo 88
  • Redster Q9.8
  • Montero AX/AR

I don't know how "monster-esque" any of these actually are, but some potential additions to the list:
  • Armada Declivity
  • Elan Wingman
  • Nordica Enforcer

TS
T

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe add the Experience 82/86 Ti to the list? Probably safe to delete the Maverick.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Wow, they are still asking full price for them. they must be really proud of them. ;) No wonder they haven't sold.
This is true! But at the same time for someone who loves the Monster 88 it might be worth it to them to pay full price.

I don't think skis really degrade if stored properly. Moment does special production runs where they reissues old models and you'd be surprised at how people absolutely drool over them and buy out the full production run in mere weeks. Then again, I sometimes wonder if they got a full on cult going on.

TS
T

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What would it take to make a monster out of a Kore 87? Just more weight? Bending wise, they are very close. How do these ski when the conditions are dry and light, i.e. when lack of mass might not be as much of an issue?

Screenshot 2024-01-08 at 1.10.36 PM.png

FlimFlamvanHam

Putting on skis
Skier
Yeah, the blunt nose 83's are similar in name only to the '16 thru '18 83 which, I contend, was easily the most beastly of the the entire Monster line up.

• MX83/88
  • Kendo 88
  • Redster Q9.8
  • Montero AX/AR

you say Brahma and RC One 80's are going away? I was not aware of this but it doesn't surprise me although it is sickening. The Titan is bloody stiff otherwise it could be Head's version of the Deacon 84 AND you could choose your own binding: win/win. I'm a bit lost on the Titan when the Rally and Magnum are there. I think they could offer the Titan in the last Monster 88 flex and sell a few pair.

The Mindbender 89ti is another.

Last edited:
TS
T

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Any opinions on the Moment Commander 92?

Sponsor

Staff online