• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Most Monsteresque

AEV

Booting up
Skier
A Monster fan site. If you know of any great quotes, let me know, I'll add them to the list. Any graphic designers? It would be cool to have an image of a Monster (circa '18) with a Head Standard topsheet.

A few of those quotes are from me lol. The 191 Monster 108s were one of my favorite skis. I would pay retail if they brought the 98 and 108 back.

AEV

Booting up
Skier
Unfortunately, you and maybe 4 other people.

I liked the 184s too. That size had to sell OK, no? They really weren't that much ski, although more stable than anything. I found 191 Monsters to be easier to ski than 192 Pro Riders, less locked in and better in bumps. Monsters had that graphene layup so the weight was all underfoot, and the swing weight wasn't bad even at 2750g/ski. From what I recall.

Wasn't there a ton of these types of skis from the 2000s and early 2010s? Were people just more hardcore back then?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Wasn't there a ton of these types of skis from the 2000s and early 2010s? Were people just more hardcore back then?
No, just that manfacturers were seeing what worked in this range and found making wide hard snow (traditional shaped) skis really wasn't the best way to go in these segments.

TS
T

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No, just that manufacturers were seeing what worked in this range and found making wide hard snow (traditional shaped) skis really wasn't the best way to go in these segments.

I wonder how much that had to due with to their full camber and long effective edge and customers size envy. Psychologically, it's hard to size down on a new ski purchase; it's like being held back a grade. But going from a rockered ski to a Monster at the same length is a receipt for failure.

Also, I think they had an scary reputation, which was a bit undeserved. Reviewer comments like "skis like an iron beam", "stiff and heavy as f...", "a good ski if your Zeus". I was kind of nervous the first time I tried one. Fortunately I got the right size and the experience was unexpected: It was chill and easy going. And I didn't have to be going mach 3 to initiate turns.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
The 88 is a much more well rounded ski than either the 98 or 108. The latter 2 just didn't bend as well as the 88.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I wonder how much that had to due with to their full camber and long effective edge and customers size envy. Psychologically, it's hard to size down on a new ski purchase; it's like being held back a grade. But going from a rockered ski to a Monster at the same length is a receipt for failure.

Also, I think they had an scary reputation, which was a bit undeserved. Reviewer comments like "skis like an iron beam", "stiff and heavy as f...", "a good ski if your Zeus". I was kind of nervous the first time I tried one. Fortunately I got the right size and the experience was unexpected: It was chill and easy going. And I didn't have to be going mach 3 to initiate turns.
I think this is a case of the marketing backfired. They attempted to flatter their customer by telling him how "Zeus-like" a skier he was for skiing these skis, which, truth be told, even for a 160 lb skier (albiet one who likes speed and knows how a ski works), were not all that hard to handle, despite there being easier skis on the market. What they accomplished was, in addition to scaring off some customers, highlighting their potential customers would enjoy the extremely easy to manage skis much more.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
I think this is a case of the marketing backfired. They attempted to flatter their customer by telling him how "Zeus-like" a skier he was for skiing these skis, which, truth be told, even for a 160 lb skier (albiet one who likes speed and knows how a ski works), were not all that hard to handle, despite there being easier skis on the market. What they accomplished was, in addition to scaring off some customers, highlighting their potential customers would enjoy the extremely easy to manage skis much more.

'They' said no such thing. Head has no control over independent reviewers. At all. The Monster series just a stronger ski and work better for skiers with more refined skills and/or butt strong folks.

IMHO, if the 98's and 108's flexed as nicely as the 88's, they'd have sold many many more. The layup and section didn't change other than width, so as they got wider, the monsters got stiffer. A 184 M 98 was just heavier and stiffer than the 88. Great ski, but a lot of work for 10 day a season skiers who bought them the same length as their Soul 7's. ogsmile

TS
T

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If they bring them back a cool marketing campaign would be to not even acknowledge their existence. Put them on the wall, but don't talk about them. In the catalog, stick them somewhere between the kids skis and the rental fleet. A print ad with a customer peering down the wall with the caption, "Those are not the skis for you."

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
'They' said no such thing. Head has no control over independent reviewers. At all. The Monster series just a stronger ski and work better for skiers with more refined skills and/or butt strong folks.

IMHO, if the 98's and 108's flexed as nicely as the 88's, they'd have sold many many more. The layup and section didn't change other than width, so as they got wider, the monsters got stiffer. A 184 M 98 was just heavier and stiffer than the 88. Great ski, but a lot of work for 10 day a season skiers who bought them the same length as their Soul 7's. ogsmile
BTW, I wasn't speaking specifically about Head Monsters, just addressing the comment regarding more stiff burly skis being around years ago.
Another reason for their decline, is that soft snow skis, besides ideally being wider, need to be softer, not stiffer than hard snow skis, especially if the have camber and need to pressured into a curved shape (rockered skis come pre-shaped into a bit of a turn). As Markojp said, the wider monsters weren't softer. Same applies to the other burly skis that weren't rockered.

As far as the ski manufacturers and their influence on reviews and the "buzz" created around their products, I believe they have a strong influence on it.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Just go read the Blister gear reviews on them. Also realize that they were designed as 'chargers' , not powder skis, so no, they don't have to be softer, just skiable enough for a large enough customer demographic to sell enough pairs to make them financially viable. Kastle MX 98/99, Cochise, Liberty evolve 110 all fall in the same category.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Many thanks to the SkiTalk members who have recommended the Head Monster 88. Though my model is now 4 years old, it is my new favorite ski of all time. It just fits my style of skiing really well. I'm holding one in reverse, but I fear the day when I'll have to replace it.

Fellow Monster fans, what other skis have you found that come the closest?
  • Blizzard Brahma 88
  • Augment AM88
  • Blossom Cross Wind
  • Kästle MX88
  • Salomon S/Force Bold
  • Stöckli Laser AR
  • Völkl Kendo 88
  • K2 Mindbender 90Ti
  • ???
Anything we can do to convince Head to restart the line?

Im in the same boat.

AEV

Booting up
Skier

IIRC, the first years of the Monster 108 and 98 had the graphene layup switched from the thinner Monsters. The wider ones had stiffer tips and tails and the 83 and 88 were easier going with more bendable tips.

This is from Snow Magazine "Head is liberally using graphene in almost all of its skis nowadays and the 88 Ti is no exception. The material is used in and around the binding plate, whereas in contrast the wider models in the range - the 98 and 108 - use graphene in the tip and tail."

However, to your point, I have read a few places that say all the monster widths are constructed the same. Didn't they switch the 83 and 88 to the wider construction style at the tail end of the series?

Does anyone know what's up?

The 191 Monster 108 was by far the most stable ski I've ever skied. I could also ski it everyday though, unlike my Pro Riders. Pro Riders can get floppy sometimes, although their overall mass still keeps trucking through. Monsters had the weight and the flex, and new technology to make them ski easier. I wish Head would bring them back in limited runs like Dynastar does. I much prefer the Monster, though the LPRs are still keepers in my quiver.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice to see @AEV here......very knowledgeable and a hell of a quiver.....looking forward to his knowledge and his posts with the Pugs...

Cheers brotha!

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
IIRC, the first years of the Monster 108 and 98 had the graphene layup switched from the thinner Monsters. The wider ones had stiffer tips and tails and the 83 and 88 were easier going with more bendable tips.

This is from Snow Magazine "Head is liberally using graphene in almost all of its skis nowadays and the 88 Ti is no exception. The material is used in and around the binding plate, whereas in contrast the wider models in the range - the 98 and 108 - use graphene in the tip and tail."

However, to your point, I have read a few places that say all the monster widths are constructed the same. Didn't they switch the 83 and 88 to the wider construction style at the tail end of the series?

Does anyone know what's up?

The 191 Monster 108 was by far the most stable ski I've ever skied. I could also ski it everyday though, unlike my Pro Riders. Pro Riders can get floppy sometimes, although their overall mass still keeps trucking through. Monsters had the weight and the flex, and new technology to make them ski easier. I wish Head would bring them back in limited runs like Dynastar does. I much prefer the Monster, though the LPRs are still keepers in my quiver.

Spot on with the location of the graphene in the 98/108 vs. the 83/88. Thank you for the correction and reminder. It's been awhile since I thought much about it.

:beercheer:

AEV

Booting up
Skier
Nice to see @AEV here......very knowledgeable and a hell of a quiver.....looking forward to his knowledge and his posts with the Pugs...

Cheers brotha!

We need to find an old Katana replacement as well!

Spot on with the location of the graphene in the 98/108 vs. the 83/88. Thank you for the correction and reminder. It's been awhile since I thought much about it.

:beercheer:

You could be right though. I honestly get more confused the more I research this, with a couple reputable places saying all are the same construction, and a couple places saying the wider ones had different graphene placement.

This is from Ski Magazine, a year earlier than the Snow Mag quote above..
"The wider Monsters (108 and 98) will be likely choices for everyday driving in Western locales, with enough width for powder yet enough edge grip and sidecut for softpack carving; the narrower ones (88 and 83) will suit the needs of Eastern freeskiers likely to spend more time on hardpack. All are identically constructed, and all except the Monster 83 are priced the same."

Reactions: BC.

AEV

Booting up
Skier
What current ski do you guys think is the closest to the Monster 108? Ranger 107ti?

Katana 108 seems a bit more new school, but very close in intended purpose.

Sponsor

Staff online