• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Most Monsteresque

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Katana 108 and Evolve 110.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
.... and M pro 105.

TS
T

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Didn't Dynastar offer a Pro Rider in a 184, maybe as recently as 2017? It's odd that they project max revenue with one size and at 192 considering many Monster fans opt for as low as 177.

Augment AM108 as an M108 alternative? Any custom brands make suitable replacements? Folsom has their Spar 88, Rad Dad, and Blister Pro 104, but their models have deep rocker lines, which seems to be the case for most small US manufacturers.

Last edited:

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Didn't Dynastar offer a Pro Rider in a 184, maybe as recently as 2017? It's odd that they project max revenue with one size and at 192 considering many Monster fans opt for as low as 177.

Augment AM108 as an M108 alternative? Any custom brands make suitable replacements? Folsom has their Spar 88, Rad Dad, and Blister Pro 104, but their models have deep rocker lines, which seems to be the case for most small US manufacturers.

We were talking just big chargers currently on the market... and that particular market is very small. Something like a Sender Ti in a 194 would count, but the 187 and shorter are very good and quite versatile skis that will work for bigger and or stronger skiers without requiring 50+ day a year ski fitness. IMHO only of course.

TS
T

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As for ranked M98 replacements, how's the following? This is all speculation as I have ridden none of these.
  1. Kastle MX98
  2. Blizzard Bonafide 97
  3. Augment AM98
  4. Volkl Mantra 102 / M6
  5. K2 Mindbender 99 Ti
  6. Liberty Evolv 100
  7. Stockli SR95

AEV

Booting up
Skier
Katana 108 and Evolve 110.

Katana 108s are very high on my list. I'd have already bought them if not for the 3D radius. I haven't skied 3D radius, but have had some issues with sidecut stuff in the past. I read a few (maybe 15% of the responses) reviews saying the smaller radius underfoot can link up unpredictably in unpredictable conditions, at least compared to heavy chargers with regular long sidecut (25m+). They should still be fine compared to practically any other ski on the market lol. I was a big fan of the 2012-2014 Katanas, 184-198cm, and one of my buddies who was also a fan told me the new ones were "meh". I will be demoing these for sure next year.

Evolve seems light, although I haven't skied them. Videos of them look pretty good, they look like they rip. You just added a ski to my demo list! Thank you for the info

.... and M pro 105.

I have a pair of the 2020 Legend Pro Rider F-Teams, and find them more locked in and less versatile than Monster 108s. Absolutely awesome skis nonetheless. Was thinking the Ranger 107ti would be more turny and versatile like that. I found the Monsters able to ski much tighter terrain than their radii would suggest.

I will be keeping the Legend Pros for a while, so now actually a Cochise 106 makes sense, on the other end of the charger spectrum, something that can handle tighter, more technical spots while still being able to charge hard in refried or refrozen off piste conditions.

As for ranked M98 replacements, how's the following? This is all speculation as I have ridden none of these.
  1. Kästle MX98
  2. Blizzard Bonafide 97
  3. Augment AM98
  4. Völkl Mantra 102 / M6
  5. K2 Mindbender 99 Ti
  6. Liberty Evolv 100
  7. Stöckli SR95

Kastle MX98 looks great. I would pay their prices if they still made the 194 length.

The Bonafide looks so great. If I was flush, I'd buy a pair right now. Everything just looks right on paper for me, specifically for a Monster 98 replacement.

I've been surprised by the Mindbender 99ti. I haven't skied, but read great things and loved hand flexing them lol. They felt beefy!

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Katana 108s are very high on my list. I'd have already bought them if not for the 3D radius. I haven't skied 3D radius, but have had some issues with sidecut stuff in the past. I read a few (maybe 15% of the responses) reviews saying the smaller radius underfoot can link up unpredictably in unpredictable conditions, at least compared to heavy chargers with regular long sidecut (25m+). They should still be fine compared to practically any other ski on the market lol. I was a big fan of the 2012-2014 Katanas, 184-198cm, and one of my buddies who was also a fan told me the new ones were "meh". I will be demoing these for sure next year.

Evolve seems light, although I haven't skied them. Videos of them look pretty good, they look like they rip. You just added a ski to my demo list! Thank you for the info

I have a pair of the 2020 Legend Pro Rider F-Teams, and find them more locked in and less versatile than Monster 108s. Absolutely awesome skis nonetheless. Was thinking the Ranger 107ti would be more turny and versatile like that. I found the Monsters able to ski much tighter terrain than their radii would suggest.

I will be keeping the Legend Pros for a while, so now actually a Cochise 106 makes sense, on the other end of the charger spectrum, something that can handle tighter, more technical spots while still being able to charge hard in refried or refrozen off piste conditions.

Kästle MX98 looks great. I would pay their prices if they still made the 194 length.

The Bonafide looks so great. If I was flush, I'd buy a pair right now. Everything just looks right on paper for me, specifically for a Monster 98 replacement.

I've been surprised by the Mindbender 99ti. I haven't skied, but read great things and loved hand flexing them lol. They felt beefy!
I am of the opinion that a smaller (relatively) radius has no place in a high speed ski. High speed capable is a requirement in a charger ski IMHO.
I can't speak to the 2021-22 Bonafide, but the 2018 had a "new improved" shorter radius. I found it to be a great ski, but not a ski I would want for high speed skiing.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
If you're going to mention the Woodsman as a directional charger, ON3P also still makes the Wrenegade Pro 110, probably more Monsteresque than the Woodsman. I'm guessing here since I haven't tried it.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
The Wren 102 Ti or Wren Pro 110 would be the even more directional Woodsman so the most “monster like” of the ON3P skis. The Moment Commander 98 and especially the Commander 108 would be very good chargers that offer more versatility off piste and easier crud performance with it’s more modern shaped tips.

The Evolv 100 and Stormriders have low taper shapes and flatter tails but their lighter weight and softer tip/shovel flex makes them more accessible but don’t have the suspension of the others listed in this thread.

The lower turn radius on the Bonafide 97 as @François Pugh mentioned is a bit of a head scratcher as is the Brahma models which would make them feel more comfortable at higher speeds if they were a bit longer. Guess they are figuring most people would rather give up some top end for ease at lower speeds like the Enforcer line.

The 3D radius is a game changer on the Volkl line on every model that has it but for some reason, the difference between the tip/tail and underfoot radius on the Katana 108 is the largest difference out of all of them. If they just slightly increased the Mantra 102 radius equally along the whole ski you wouldn’t be getting all these reports of the K108 being “nervous and catchy” at speed when one enters the largely different turning radius underfoot. Too bad as the flex, weight and shape look great on them.

AEV

Booting up
Skier
Wren 110 is intriguing. I've had mostly good reactions to On3ps direcitonal skis, however thought the 2018 Wren 108 was a bit too soft snow orientated for a 108mm ski. All On3ps are bit soft snow orientated, but the Wren 108 was a bit too much for me for it's width, I'd rather just take out a Billy Goat or C&D.

I used to love the old Vicik and On3p sold me some one-off 191 Wren 114 Comp skis from 2015ish that were some of my favorite charging skis of all time. The 110 Pro seems more like those than the 108. 186 true length isn't too short either, and it would be good for throwing bumps into the mix. Which is actually what I'm looking for right now..

Katanas are probably great, and I'm overthinking it. I was flexing them in store and they felt perfect. A lot of sidecut though. I tend to have problems with sidecut wizardry because I don't actually get used to the ski. I'm always skiing on different stuff, demoing, reviewing whatever. I should buy K108s and daily drive them, I'd be used to that 3D radius in a few consecutive days most likely.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I thought the M88 was an exceptional ski when I demoed a few years back, but I just don't need this spot filled in my quiver. I could have gone for this 184 cm at my size. Great price!

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Bought a pair of MX98s to replace my 2016 Monster 98s. Got one day on the new boards and it is a worthy successor.

Also found a pair of M88s for the wife, she has skied 16X monster 88s since 2006 so... we were sorry to hear they are going away. I expect we will seem them again in 4-5 seasons.

As far as the M98 being too much ski. It was intended to be a big mountain charger ski. If Head wanted to refine the M98/108 they could have like they did with the M88 which was gradually softened every few years since it was reintroduced. They opted to go with the kore line instead.

I agree with the softer skis for softer snow, generally... but if its steep and I go moderately fast the M98 feels as balanced in the snow, as on the snow. But you have to ski them.

TS
T

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I thought the M88 was an exceptional ski when I demoed a few years back, but I just don't need this spot filled in my quiver. I could have gone for this 184 cm at my size. Great price!

The "X" marks the more accessible versions without the metal layers and are quite a bit cheaper and easier to find. However, there is a brand new 2016 184 M88 in ebay right now...

TS
T

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Added og meta tags for page previews.

I hate calls for "like and subscribe", but if you are active on other sites, a link to this thing would be appreciated. The greater diversity of inbound links, the higher it lands in Google page rank. Again, the goal is to promote Monster popularity to the point where Head takes notice.

Sponsor

Staff online