• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Most Monsteresque

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I thought the M88 was an exceptional ski when I demoed a few years back, but I just don't need this spot filled in my quiver. I could have gone for this 184 cm at my size. Great price!

Beware the 'X'... these where 'performance demo' models built with no metal. I skied the Monster 83X exactly one run and wish I could get that run back to ski on something else. "They weren't good" is an understatement.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Beware the 'X'... these where 'performance demo' models built with no metal. I skied the Monster 83X exactly one run and wish I could get that run back to ski on something else. "They weren't good" is an understatement.
Thanks for the info (and to @tomahawkins), I had no idea X indicated a lack of metal. To clarify, the model I demoed was a true M88 with metal. Why would they do such a confusing thing? I was thinking of buying and putting aside, but not now.

SkiTalk again proves its worth!

Reactions: BMC

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The X was meant to address the rental market.

AEV

Booting up
Skier
I scour the internet multiple times per week for used 191 M108s. I cannot get them out of my mind, and the Pro Riders are not replacements

TS
T

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I scour the internet multiple times per week for used 191 M108s. I cannot get them out of my mind, and the Pro Riders are not replacements

I also scour about once a week. I've never seeing an M108 191, though I did come across a 184 the other day.

Reactions: AEV

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Snooooozed and looooozed.... :)

TS
T

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
New 2016 Monsters just showed up on ebay radar: M108 @ 170 and 177, M98 @ 170.

Launch Maverick on ready five.

Shiny new '16 M108s just arrived. Seller still has a bunch available.

m108.jpg

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
There is a time I would have jumped on some Monster 108's--however with the new Augment AM108 now in existence, I'd tilt in that direction....

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There is a time I would have jumped on some Monster 108's--however with the new Augment AM108 now in existence, I'd tilt in that direction....
Give two chefs access to the same panty and tell them what you want in a meal, chances are the dishes are going to be very different. The Monster 108 and Augment 108's are different executions of similar ingredients. I agree with @markojp the Liberty Evolv 110 is as close to a Monster 108 offered today, a ski with different ingredients but the execution desired.

Last edited:
TS
T

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Updated Monster replacement lists? A few new developments for 2023:
  • Salomon dropping the S/Force line (?).
  • Stockli redesigning, renaming Laser AR, AX.
  • Blossom gaining stream.
  • Expanded Augment AM line.
  • Heritage Lab Skis.
Ordering is only speculation -- I've only skied a few of these. Also adding the M78.

Monster 78:
  1. Kastle MX75
  2. Volkl Decon 76
  3. Blossom AM77
  4. Stockli Montero AX

Monster 83:
  1. Kastle MX83
  2. Brahma 82
  3. Blossom AM85
  4. Supershape eTitan
  5. Stockli Montero AR

Monster 88:
  1. Augment AM88c
  2. Heritage R87
  3. Brahma 88
  4. Kastle MX88
  5. Kendo 88
  6. Salomon Stance 90
  7. Stormrider 88
  8. Atomic Maverick 88

Monster 98:
  1. Bonafide 97
  2. Mantra 102
  3. Heritage R99
  4. Kastle MX98
  5. Augment AM98
  6. Salomon Stance 96
  7. Mindbender 99
  8. Atomic Maverick 95
  9. Stormrider 95

Monster 108:
  1. Evolve 110
  2. Katana 108
  3. Augment AM108

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Noodler beat me to it, but here is a sample of the Monster 83 ( not 83X ) against a current Fischer, Brahma, Wingman, all 82-wide. You can do the same for the Monster 88, 98, 108.

newplot (3).png

AlexisLD

Getting off the lift
Skier
The Monster 83/88 have very unique flex patterns (SoothSki report). You can take that SoothSki report and change out for some of these other candidate skis to see how closely they actually align to the Monsters.

Ahah! Good find! ;-)

That pattern is pretty unique to Head. They use it on many of their race skis.

It is not trivial to do a pattern like that, specially to modify just the torsional stiffness... My hypothesis is that by having torsionally stiff tip/tail and a soft center, the center part acts like a hinge joint in torsion. This make the full front part of the ski (and back part) have the same edge angle because most of the twist happens in the center part. On "normal" skis, the local twist angle would increase progressively from the center of the ski to the tip and tail.

I am not too sure how that feel on snow though...

Sponsor

Staff online