• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mostly wine stuff

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@skibob, others?

what's what I call the viney flavor in wines I taste? personally I think I like wines (among other flavors) that have that plant flavor that include as noted, that "vine" flavor. I like being able to taste flavors in a wine that include not only the soil but the plant itself - methoxypyrazines?

I love other flavors but still like at times a wine that just has the flavor hints of what the plant is, the soil, the fruit .. I'm sooo all over the place with wine, I can appreciate opposite ends of a spectrum.

I think my dogs eat grass for that reason. Anyhow, just curious. Some Francs and Cabs just capture that which seem different from others that are more fruity or have more soil hints.

Last edited:

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
@skibob, others?

what's what I call the viney flavor in wines I taste? personally I think I like wines (among other flavors) that have that plant flavor that include as noted, that "vine" flavor. I like being able to taste flavors in a wine that include not only the soil but the plant itself - methoxypyrazines?

I love other flavors but still like at times a wine that just has the flavor hints of what the plant is, the soil, the fruit .. I'm sooo all over the place with wine, I can appreciate opposite ends of a spectrum.

I think my dogs eat grass for that reason. Anyhow, just curious. Some Francs and Cabs just capture that which seem different from others that are more fruity or have more soil hints.
If it is unique to bordeaux varieties (including Sauvignon blanc) then likely methoxypyrazines (also just called "pyrazines" sometimes). The only other thing that gets described as "green" is usually some green seed character which comes with grippy tannins and is considered a flaw (whereas pyrazines are only considered a flaw if they are excessive). You also describe some earthy characteristics which makes me thing of Brettanomyces/Dekkera. These are wild yeast that produce volatile phenols as a byproduct. Traditional French winemakers may still consider a bit of Brett to be a feature (especially Burgundy). But modern scientific winemaking generally considers it a flaw. In excess it can take on a burnt rubber or band-aid smell that everyone can agree is offensive.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Any of our wine wise members know much about this cab? I tried some last night and it wasn't bad.
PXL_20220729_000331387.MP.jpg

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
These last few posts make me want to ask about the 'green' in Gruner Veltliner.
Hmm, I think of that as green in the fruit sense. Gooseberries, green apples, green figs, pears, currants, etc. Rather than herbal per se. The Bordeaux varieties are best known for pyrazines because of high levels. I know other varieties have pyrazines, but, w/o looking up any reference works, am unaware of any really being significant/much beyond threshold.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Made by Winery Exchange. Probably largest maker of private label wines in the world. But they have some own brands too, which I think this is.
I didn't get a photo of the back label but I think it came from South American maybe Chile.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Hmm, I think of that as green in the fruit sense. Gooseberries, green apples, green figs, pears, currants, etc
Yes. Totally different. Love a good Groovy.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
What's the 'overgrown' weirdness that gets into improperly pruned vineyards?

I get a *lot* of that in VA wines (Norton I AM looking at you!)
Good question. Many of the hybrids have what is called a "foxy" character that most don't like. I have no idea why it is called that, nor how else to describe it but I've always thought "what the hell is 'foxy'" lol. But Norton is generally considered to lack that problem. But Norton does have a nasty alterego to watch out for:

vintagepitt.jpg

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Another contrast with European vinifera is the characteristic "foxy" musk of V. labrusca, best known to most people through the Concord grape.[1] This musk is not related to the mammalian fox, but rather to the strong, earthy aromas characteristic of the grapes that were known by early European-American settlers in the New World. The term "foxy" became a sort of catchall for the wine tasting descriptors used for these American wines that were distinct from the familiar flavors of the European viniferous wines.[2]

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier

Another contrast with European vinifera is the characteristic "foxy" musk of V. labrusca, best known to most people through the Concord grape.[1] This musk is not related to the mammalian fox, but rather to the strong, earthy aromas characteristic of the grapes that were known by early European-American settlers in the New World. The term "foxy" became a sort of catchall for the wine tasting descriptors used for these American wines that were distinct from the familiar flavors of the European viniferous wines.[2]
Yeah, I just have always thought the name was strange. I guess i haven't spent as much time sniffing foxes as some people :micdrop:

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, I just have always thought the name was strange. I guess i haven't spent as much time sniffing foxes as some people :micdrop:
My dad always called all wild grapes "fox grapes." He wasn't a wine person; that was just the common name he knew for the plant.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
French Bordeaux Merlot with sirloin BBQ Kabobs...excellent.
*ucking Merlot!!!

:roflmao: :roflmao:

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I've been enjoying a handful of Merlots of late .. semi random but all nice and one very very good.

Sponsor

Staff online