mostly wine stuff

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
There are tons of very good Picpouls for $10-15 USD. It's not a grape that needs/wants a lot of extra $$$$ thrown at it.
+1 exactly

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Personally pass...unless wine is way more expensive in CA than US? There are tons of very good Picpouls for $10-15 USD. It's not a grape that needs/wants a lot of extra $$$$ thrown at it.
it is!! Provincial and Federal taxes. I can get Barefoot Bistro Pinot Grigio in florida for around $5 US. Here on sale it's $9.95 + 0.20 cent bottle deposit. Not that that's what I regularly buy, but one I can remember...

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
it is!! Provincial and Federal taxes. I can get Barefoot Bistro Pinot Grigio in florida for around $5 US. Here on sale it's $9.95 + 0.20 cent bottle deposit. Not that that's what I regularly buy, but one I can remember...

On the upside, they're actually good at importing low- and low-mid market labels that are relatively un-distributed in the US.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
I don't quite know what to make of mencía, but I do think it's a variety worth following. This one-pager is very good, it seems to me. I've posted at least one bottle here before.

Styles seem to vary quite widely. Some are quite understated and food-centric. This one - well named for a ski forum audience - is not. It's a big, highly extracted, in-your-face bomb that strikes me as still being very primary. Who has tried it? What did you think?

PXL_20220808_233725706.MP-01.jpeg PXL_20220808_233709202.MP-01.jpeg

Last edited:

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I'm not sure I've ever had Mencia that wasn't from Bierzo. But damn do I love it in the more restrained style that comes from that region.

Raul Perez -- the legendary Spanish winemaker -- has his hand in Ultreia mark that consistently makes great value Bierzo. It's imported by Skurnik so pretty easy to find. One of my favorite sub-$30 wines to share with people who are getting into wine.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
I'm not sure I've ever had Mencia that wasn't from Bierzo. But damn do I love it in the more restrained style that comes from that region.

Raul Perez -- the legendary Spanish winemaker -- has his hand in Ultreia mark that consistently makes great value Bierzo. It's imported by Skurnik so pretty easy to find. One of my favorite sub-$30 wines to share with people who are getting into wine.
Yup. We've been there.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I don't quite know what to make of mencía, but I do think it's a variety worth following. This one-pager is very good, it seems to me. I've posted at least one bottle here before.

Styles seem to vary quite widely. Some are quite understated and food-centric. This one - well named for a ski forum audience - is not. It's a big, highly extracted, in-your-face bomb that strikes me as still being very primary. Who has tried it? What did you think?

View attachment 174949 View attachment 174950
I've tried a few. Seems like at its best it has beautiful aromatics. Like beaujolais and gewurtztraminer had a baby. Structure seems a little unfocused in the versions I've tried. I believe Markus Bokisch has a little planted out by Lodi but I don't think I've ever tried it from there.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
In small town America, recycling glass is often a money loser.
We have that in Maine too.

This is why we need to eliminate NIMBY-triggered long-range transport of glass. The answer is, IMO, to make cullet crushers as local as possible. Back in 2005 I actually wanted to do a then-appropriate version of what the girls are doing here:

Considering the actual shortage of fresh, fracking-appropriate sands and fresh, mortar-worthy sand, there has to be a way for capitalism to do this on a slightly bigger scale. Thus:

But thanks for the reminder, I need to drop ~45 lbs at the local pink dumpster.