• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mostly wine stuff

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
So what does drought and heat during veraison do for us?
Drought? Not much theoretically. Wine grapes are very low water demand crop. Excess is more likely to be a problem both with flavor development and rot. There is a CW that drought years result in lower crop size (by a little).

A little heat helps with uniform ripening and preventing rot. A little more starts to reduce acidity pretty quickly and can dehydrate and leave raisins where exposed to sun.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Drought? Not much theoretically. Wine grapes are very low water demand crop. Excess is more likely to be a problem both with flavor development and rot. There is a CW that drought years result in lower crop size (by a little).

A little heat helps with uniform ripening and preventing rot. A little more starts to reduce acidity pretty quickly and can dehydrate and leave raisins where exposed to sun.

the forest fire smoke is the real risk then ?

1660611744322.png

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
James said:

The Problem With Wine Bottles

They may be a perfect container for aging wine, but glass bottles contribute enormously to climate change.

By Eric Asimov
Aug. 4, 2022, NY Times
===================

She's crazy if she thinks consumers will buy good wine in plastic bags. I mean, plastic ??? :rolleyes:

Someone hand me a paper bag.

They will if the right wine is in the box, but I don't agree it's the solution, even short term. There is waaaay too much one time use plastic in our waste stream right now. Those box-a-wines not only have a food grade plastic bag in them, they have a plastic valve also. It's cute that the box itself is recyclable.

The solution is right in front of us; the US needs to get off it's lazy a$$ and get on the reuse bandwagon--not to mention upping our recycling game. We are just way too spoiled with respect to ease of obtaining and then disposing of any remaining artifacts when it comes to food and beverage. Previous generations had to put a lot more effort into being fed. Coke use to refill it's bottles up till 1961.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
We're doing wine in cans in Canada. Haven't tried any yet.....But they are recyclable too.

I have nothing against wine in cans. I like the idea. But I'm continually frustrated that because people put wine in cans they somehow think it should be more expensive than equally good wine in a box or a bottle -- when your packaging and shipping costs should be less. Seriously?

Being in a can is convenient. But I'm not paying $6 for 300ml ($15 per 750ml) for wine that taste like $8-10 per 750ml wine.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

The Problem With Wine Bottles

They may be a perfect container for aging wine, but glass bottles contribute enormously to climate change.

By Eric Asimov
Aug. 4, 2022, NY Times
I was curious about PET bottles post 2722) having read an article on them, sadly plastics are at around 8% recycling

~30% for bottles. I recall when really young bottles had deposits (still do in Iowa and Michigan and even recall hauling a bunch of cans back to Michigan on route to my home town when attending Iowa .. got 10c each verses 5c in Ia, so paid for gas) and I wouldn't have issue if the industry standardized but this won't happen.

I was weighing the empties to see if there were correlation to cost but noted prior that this was all over the board. Maybe the only one was very inexpensive wines whose bottles were near or under 500gms, others were up around 800gms and most in the 600-700gm range, but no real correlation to price ... so material wise one can cut out 20-30% of the material.

I still like beer in a bottle, but choices for what I like is in cans, so maybe wine will find it's way at some point into a can, but somehow I don't see this catching on quickly.

Given wines are often stored long periods, not sure how other methods would ensure quality .. something for me to ponder.

edit: Pet bottle story; https://www.wine-searcher.com/m/2022/01/flat-bottled-wines-make-the-world-go-round

Last edited:

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I was curious about PET bottles post 2722) having read an article on them, sadly plastics are at around 8% recycling

~30% for bottles. I recall when really young bottles had deposits (still do in Iowa and Michigan and even recall hauling a bunch of cans back to Michigan on route to my home town when attending Iowa .. got 10c each verses 5c in Ia, so paid for gas) and I wouldn't have issue if the industry standardized but this won't happen.

I was weighing the empties to see if there were correlation to cost but noted prior that this was all over the board. Maybe the only one was very inexpensive wines whose bottles were near or under 500gms, others were up around 800gms and most in the 600-700gm range, but no real correlation to price ... so material wise one can cut out 20-30% of the material.

I still like beer in a bottle, but choices for what I like is in cans, so maybe wine will find it's way at some point into a can, but somehow I don't see this catching on quickly.

Given wines are often stored long periods, not sure how other methods would ensure quality .. something for me to ponder.

edit: Pet bottle story; https://www.wine-searcher.com/m/2022/01/flat-bottled-wines-make-the-world-go-round
The big conundrum is aging. Although corks have their own issues, it turns out they are the perfect means of aging wine.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Just to round out the dinner of chicken parmesan and pasta a little red that was very pleasant.

Attachments

• PXL_20220820_042356066.jpg
    PXL_20220820_042356066.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 1

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
decent reading on how the industry is adapting to temperature/climate changes ..

While driven by weather it reminds me of food trends in Heritage crops that have occurred in the last 10-20yrs, finding ancestral seeds/plants for variation or added sale value for the small producer.

(however even I've heard of Viognier ;) )

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
decent reading on how the industry is adapting to temperature/climate changes ..

While driven by weather it reminds me of food trends in Heritage crops that have occurred in the last 10-20yrs, finding ancestral seeds/plants for variation or added sale value for the small producer.

(however even I've heard of Viognier ;) )

The Mondeuse noire sounds interesting.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Funny story I figure the wine connoisseurs would enjoy.

My GF is out last night with some friends at a Cuban restaurant where they had some nice reds and along with great food. They then ended up going to some dive bar for drinks after.
Picture a tall blonde dressed to the 9s asking the bartender for the wine list. The bartender replied “It’s in a box, babe” :roflmao:

She has now vowed to name a future race horse “It’s in a box babe”

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Funny story I figure the wine connoisseurs would enjoy.

My GF is out last night with some friends at a Cuban restaurant where they had some nice reds and along with great food. They then ended up going to some dive bar for drinks after.
Picture a tall blonde dressed to the 9s asking the bartender for the wine list. The bartender replied “It’s in a box, babe” :roflmao:

She has now vowed to name a future race horse “It’s in a box babe”
Boxed Wine.jpg

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online