• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mostly wine stuff

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
had this a couple of times, found it dry as I typically prefer and a on the more sour side, read Raspberry or Current, I'd say much more like Currents as my parents had 1/2 dozen bushes and now thinking about it - is a near perfect description. I think it'd go well with cheese.

Super inexpensive at $10 locally so a great deal if you like such flavor ... bought it as it's made from Valdiguie grapes which I never heard of and was intrigued.

J Lohr Valdiguie.jpg

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
had this a couple of times, found it dry as I typically prefer and a on the more sour side, read Raspberry or Current, I'd say much more like Currents as my parents had 1/2 dozen bushes and now thinking about it - is a near perfect description. I think it'd go well with cheese.

Super inexpensive at $10 locally so a great deal if you like such flavor ... bought it as it's made from Valdiguie grapes which I never heard of and was intrigued.

View attachment 180478
I had to look that up!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
IMG_20221015_172434.jpg
IMG_20221015_173831.jpg

#dontlettheserverchillit
This wine had a cork-adjacent apple spice top note that totally went away after it got chilled - leaving it with nothing more than barely citrusy acid. I mean if I wanted a Greco did Tufo, I would have ordered one.

Last edited:
TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
View attachment 180605
View attachment 180606

#dontlettheserverchillit
This wine had a cork-adjacent apple spice top note that totally went away after it got chilled - leaving it with nothing more than barely citrusy acid. I mean if I wanted a Greco did Tufo, I would have ordered one.
When they put that much stuff into a label, it's often a bad sign.

Also: That glass is not clean.

Last edited:

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When they put that much stuff into a label, it's often a bad sign.

Also: That glass is not clean.
I'm a mean spouse. I hand wash my glass after use and tend to dry it down with a clean towel. Tease my spouse as she hand washes too but lets it drip dry leaving spots, etc.

Maybe drying it with a towel just smears the minerals in the water around thin over the glass but like to think it's more visually appealing and hence mentally, better tasting wine in a shinny glass.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah I would like to see either of your glasses look clean by the second plate of crabs.
I only said it because it was a restaurant and those look like pre-crab spots to me.

Reactions: mdf
TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm a mean spouse. I hand wash my glass after use and tend to dry it down with a clean towel. Tease my spouse as she hand washes too but lets it drip dry leaving spots, etc.

Maybe drying it with a towel just smears the minerals in the water around thin over the glass but like to think it's more visually appealing and hence mentally, better tasting wine in a shinny glass.
TOTALLY. I don't always do this at home, I readily confess. But Tuna was at a restaurant.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Last night's and tonight's wines. One from Italy, one from California. The first keeps its secrets, but the second is mostly sangoivese with a sizable slug of cab and a touch of teroldega. I'm guessing the first is a similar mix. Both were good!
20221017_180411.jpg

20221018_224738.jpg

2019 Urban Legend Sonici

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Reactions: mdf
TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
"Restaurant wine." This is a phrase I learned, back in the day. It meant, "Wine that is easy to like for anyone, even wine newbies. Comes in an attractive package. Supports a healthy markup." Basically, low maintenance for the restaurant.

More recently, "supermarket wine" emerged. It's like restaurant wine but even more so. Typically production is ginormous, but the labels, misleadingly, have (modest) pretensions.

Generally, I get along pretty well with restaurant wine. God knows I've had crushes on enough of them over the decades. (Ch. Carbonnieux blanc, i'm looking at you, girl. Sigh.) Supermarket wine is usually a bridge too far for me. It tends to cross a line - that exists primarily in my mind - from "wine" into "product." I'll own that prejudice.

This one is absolutely a supermarket package. Someone needs to get over themselves in the graphic design department, or go work for the circus. But the wine is classic restaurant wine. I'll take it. Stevie Wonder's "Isn't She Lovely?" comes to mind.

PXL_20221107_234318060.MP-01.jpeg

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
^
Oops. Sorry. That was the answer to "Supermarket."

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
:eek:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Honestly I'm not fussed about the cavaliere design - I kinda like the tones of some of the Veneto ones. And the art deco neck wrap looks pretty sharp in black and gold.

1667868468826.png

If the graphics artists' brief read anything like "Go beat labels like Ruffino for visual cues and coherence across the line" I'd say job done. *shrug*

Sponsor

Staff online