• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mostly wine stuff

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
How did she store it, though? Does she have a cellar?
No, but an interior closet (no exterior walls). A few pages back I advised my opinion (a common one around wine country) about how a good interior closet (ground level) in a conditioned space is usually good enough for most wine storage.

In this case, 9 years. Cork came out whole, not a hint of aldehyde in the wine, nice, smooth tannins, still plenty of fruit. I suppose it could have lived even longer under the right conditions. But I tend to drink wine before that point. Unless, like in this case, I lose track of it because a) I forgot about it and b) a bunch of stuff got piled on it.

I only found it last week because I wass cleaning out the closet.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
20221230_234410.jpg
Opened the 2nd bottle of this stuff tonight. It tasted a lot more like I would expect. I guess bottle variation is still with us, even in hyper-controlled California.

Either that, or a weeks aging made a difference :roflmao:

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
View attachment 187376
Opened the 2nd bottle of this stuff tonight. It tasted a lot more like I would expect. I guess bottle variation is still with us, even in hyper-controlled California.

A week's aging can make a huge difference in the drinker. Depending on the week.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have yet to meet a PR cab that really excites me. It is Rhone and Zin terroir, imho.
I understood PR had several terroir areas .. 3 or maybe 4? Some more cool evening ocean valley like and others more inland with far less evening cooling - ?

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I understood PR had several terroir areas .. 3 or maybe 4? Some more cool evening ocean valley like and others more inland with far less evening cooling - ?
Definitely some, but pretty much all of it is inland from the coastal range.

Edna Valley to the South is a much more heterogenous region in that sense.

IMHO, Tablas Creek is by far the most interesting thing going on in PR.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor

Agreed, and the sleeper of the area (I think a little bit off of Paso Robles), Peloton Cellars.

Oh, and in terms of Cab in that Area, it seems to me that it's too flat and warm for the grape. While Rhone Varieties do much better in the climate around Paso Robles, but then again, I'm just a wino, I know nuttin', and i'l drink anything :wine:

Tony

tseeb
Skier
View attachment 187376

We were at the winery NE of Paso in mid-December. They were tasting and selling the 2015 Hilltop Cab. I bought one and an Arroyo Seco Chardonnay to get my tasting free. We also stopped at Chalone on our way home, a place I'd always wanted to visit, but they did not have tasting when owned by Diageo.

It was not too long ago that JLohr one of the Paso wineries with free tasting. They've had a tasting room near downtown San Jose since 1974. At a tasting at a grocery store near my house I ended up with their 2019 Pure Paso 70.5% Cab 26.5% Petit Sirah 2% Merlot 0.5% Petit Verdot and Malbec.

Both were very good at their respective tastings.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
This is helpful to me, as someone who doesn't follow California closely. Thanks.

Setting out on a dry month, though. Need to lose some weight and gain some energy.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
You reporting to Mistress Wendy for some 100K+ weeks?
Unfortunately I have to work, regular punter that I am. Also we now have no snow whatsoever locally. Also that would be way beyond my capacity right now. So no.

Sponsor

Staff online