• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mostly wine stuff

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Not necessarily the only one, if talking overall menu. But.

One problem is that USAian cheese boards tend to have a lot less range in them than even Quebecker cheese boards.

Another problem is USAian insistence on bringing in sweetness to savory dishes. I want paprikash and Bikaver for crying out loud, not nassty paprikash-aroma sweet pudding with late harvest Furmint. To the person who put sugar in my red pepper fish stew? F*ck off and go work for Gerber until you learn to cook.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Am I the only one who looks at the wine list and picks what looks good and then looks at the menu to find a proper pairing? Can't say I do that 100% of the time. But if something catches my eye, I am totally looking for food to pair with it.
I can't say I have ever looked at the wine list first and then picked a dinner that paired well with the wine I ordered. But I have gone to some restaurants because they had a good choice of wine and ordered a seafood because I knew that they had a good selection of white wine. Especially if it was a Spanish or Portuguese restaurants.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I retired today. A few of my coworkers (and the "site-leadership team") gave me a small sendoff with a card and a bottle. The bottle was tightly wrapped up in a gift bag, so I'm thinking champagne or champagne-adjacent :nono:.

Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I'm just not a fan of bubbles.

But no! Someone was paying attention. When I unwrapped it, this is what I found! :yahoo:

20230118_204311.jpg

Uncle-A

Skier
I retired today. A few of my coworkers (and the "site-leadership team") gave me a small sendoff with a card and a bottle. The bottle was tightly wrapped up in a gift bag, so I'm thinking champagne or champagne-adjacent :nono:.

But no! Someone was paying attention. When I unwrapped it, this is what I found! :yahoo:

View attachment 189584
Congratulations on your retirement. BTW you know what retirement means? Mid week skiing!!!

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

View attachment 189584
Congrats!

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

View attachment 189584
Best wishes to you on your retirement, Mike!

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier

View attachment 189584
Interesting name - "The bored, or melancholic hunt" (or something close to that as spleen is hard to translate exactly)
No doubt you'll be a bit sad when it's empty

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
He's retired now - he can spend more time with Baudelaire?

Or Robert Burton at least.

The black humour pun works either way.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: JCF

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Noticed that there are a few wineries in Long Island, prob'y a few wino's too. Got me curious. Have never tried, I guess they are all consumed locally? What do they make there? Rieslings? Pinot N? Any nice ones?

Last edited:

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Noticed that there are a few wineries in Long Island, prob'y a few wino's too. Got me curious. Have never tried, I guess they are all consumed locally? What do they make there? Rieslings? Pinot N? Any nice ones?
Long Island most known for Merlot and Cab Franc. I have had a few good examples of each. More vintage variation than on the West coast I believe.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Fun reading on **cking Merlots. ... : )

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier

Fun reading on **cking Merlots. ... : )
A great occasion to post this. Probably the best $20 merlot I've had . . . since the early 2000s?

IMG_20230221_193237.jpg

Uncle-A

Skier
I have some family visiting for a few days so we started the visit with a little Cab.
PXL_20230301_223106266~2.jpg
I think this is the first time I have tried this Cab but not sure. Very pleasant and smooth to my taste.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Had this before and liked it, hitting grapes less known to us

Attachments

• 20230225_183300.jpg
    20230225_183300.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230225_183251.jpg
    20230225_183251.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 3