• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mostly wine stuff

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
My general rule of thumb is 5 years of age for Cabs. I have, however been surprised by younger cabs, as well as older ones that needed another 5 .... or 20 years.
This is the first I have heard of your 5 year "Rule of Thumb". Admittedly I am not an expert, I just know what I like and this Cab was good. Thanks for sharing the 5 year thoughts.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This is the first I have heard of your 5 year "Rule of Thumb". Admittedly I am not an expert, I just know what I like and this Cab was good. Thanks for sharing the 5 year thoughts.
Let's call it a very soft guideline!

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
interesting read on bubbly:

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Going back to cabs and aging, was looking forward to this Smith and Hook 2020 cab. Rated well but I suspect it needed 5+yrs on the shelf.

Just surprised it was very sweet fruitful, sweet, not too much my thing. 5 yrs likely pleasant

20230303_203952.jpg

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Going back to cabs and aging, was looking forward to this Smith and Hook 2020 cab. Rated well but I suspect it needed 5+yrs on the shelf.

Just surprised it was very sweet fruitful, sweet, not too much my thing. 5 yrs likely pleasant

How were the tannins then?

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How were the tannins then?
oddly I really didn't taste much or any .. maybe my buds were dead last night but frankly, the wine was quite sweet for my palate so maybe hidden. I like drier wines and to me any dryness wasn't present.

I've had Smith and Hook prior, recalled liking it and bought 2 bottles last week though on my higher end of typical cost for me. Was pretty excited but then less impressed.

Not saying it was bad, just didn't suite me over others more recent drinks especially at the price point. Trick now is to see if I can hold the other bottle for 4-5 more years. I figure even if lower tannins, it'd stay fine.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Hunh. I am not clear on what holding on for another however long will do in that case.

IMO some aroma and fruit will go away (if that's a good thing?) but the sugar balance won't really change (unless the wine goes off to vinaigrette land), and there's no harshness or pucker to give that milky-soft mouthfeel years from now?

Anyway, I am sure an expert will be along. Any week now ;)

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
FWIW back in the day my dad and uncles used to take wines like that (sweet, fruity) and blend them with the harshest cheap, raw Primitivo or similar for a 'house' wine.

No need to lock the booze up from kid access, you know? That 2l bottle sitting in the cabinet? It's a trap.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
FWIW back in the day my dad and uncles used to take wines like that (sweet, fruity) and blend them with the harshest cheap, raw Primitivo or similar for a 'house' wine.

No need to lock the booze up from kid access, you know? That 2l bottle sitting in the cabinet? It's a trap.
funny in that my dad made home wine. Was pretty sweet and maybe more port-ish, but it was often more on the syrupy side. One would think I'd trend to that but as time goes on, I end up more and more dry.

I may be off on the Smith and Hook in that maybe it's not super sweet, but seemed that way with the fruit. Maybe just a off night as I had Moscow Mules prior but the wine was over 3 hrs or so. I did start it with smoked grilled steak which I'd think would take care of the earlier mules.

Anyhow, I may have to open the other bottle as I'm curious now.

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
Good cheap wine. Vin de table. This is the true challenge < $15. Truly an adventure, or a roll of the dice.
From undrinkable to something that is a pleasure to drink every day (if you so choose).
I usually stick with a winner until it disappears, then head back into the jungle to search for another.

This is my current $11 favorite;

IMG_6810.jpeg

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
One of my favorites tasted too sweet in a new vintage recently. Not super sweet, just too sweet for me.

Variation is part of the adventure of wine.
quite true ... my spousal unit liked it just fine

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've been finding that I seem to like Riojas on the whole.

@JCF

but very true .. saddening to have to find a new cheap house wine only to have it change or dissappear.

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
And this, at the other end of the spectrum. Though I found this bottle of wine in 2010 - at the dump, - so would that make it less than a vin de table.... ?

I was working at the local transfer station and a fellow who liked to pick the dump found a case of mixed wine someone had dropped off at the upper, solid waste section, and drove it down to me in the lower section where the "good stuff" got dropped off. Stuff like furniture, household items, etc. I figure he brought it to me as a sort of bribe to keep an eye out for stuff he might want.
I started lifting out the bottles....blueberry wine.....Henri Marchant champagne that had turned brown....a half dozen other forgettables......and this !

IMG_6811.jpeg

My brother has been deeply into wine since high school, working at Glenora in the late 70's and then moving to California. Over the years he has educated me along the way and so I knew this was a very special wine. I surprised him with it when he came east for a visit - had it delivered to the table by the owner of a local restaurant who is a friend. Needless to say he was surprised. and we were both surprised, and beyond delighted to find it had not been mistreated (other than being hauled off to the dump).

Oh - and there's more to the story Paul Harvey.

So about a year later I am waiting to catch a flight from Logan to Paris and a woman I knew from the dump happened to be waiting also, and we started talking and she asked me what was the most interesting thing I found at the transfer station. And so I told her about the CM.....and her eyes got big....and said that was without a doubt "her" bottle....that she told her husband to get rid of the old wine in the wine cellar, and somehow that bottle ended up - in my very grateful belly.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
And this, at the other end of the spectrum. Though I found this bottle of wine in 2010 - at the dump, - so would that make it less than a vin de table.... ?

I was working at the local transfer station and a fellow who liked to pick the dump found a case of mixed wine someone had dropped off at the upper, solid waste section, and drove it down to me in the lower section where the "good stuff" got dropped off. Stuff like furniture, household items, etc. I figure he brought it to me as a sort of bribe to keep an eye out for stuff he might want.
I started lifting out the bottles....blueberry wine.....Henri Marchant champagne that had turned brown....a half dozen other forgettables......and this !

View attachment 194896

My brother has been deeply into wine since high school, working at Glenora in the late 70's and then moving to California. Over the years he has educated me along the way and so I knew this was a very special wine. I surprised him with it when he came east for a visit - had it delivered to the table by the owner of a local restaurant who is a friend. Needless to say he was surprised. and we were both surprised, and beyond delighted to find it had not been mistreated (other than being hauled off to the dump).

Oh - and there's more to the story Paul Harvey.

So about a year later I am waiting to catch a flight from Logan to Paris and a woman I knew from the dump happened to be waiting also, and we started talking and she asked me what was the most interesting thing I found at the transfer station. And so I told her about the CM.....and her eyes got big....and said that was without a doubt "her" bottle....that she told her husband to get rid of the old wine in the wine cellar, and somehow that bottle ended up - in my very grateful belly.
An 80’ Margaux in the dump? Where exactly do you live?:roflmao: