• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mostly wine stuff

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I like to think that I'm not really fanboy material. My idols are pretty thin on the ground. Peter Matthiesson, Nabokov, Julia Child, Pete Seeger, Joni. A few others.

That said, I have a minor thing for Kerin O'Keefe. Not that her achievements are necessarily on par with those others'. I just think her palate is very good. Or at least it speaks to mine. I say this with an eye to "full disclosure."

I've been following her affection for Villa Guelpa for a while, and have been buying their lower end wines now and then with great satisfaction. Tonight is the first time (I think?) with their flagship bottling, the Lessona. (It's about double the price of the lovely Sizzano, and about three times that of the yummy and drinkable "Longitudine.")

Let me put it this way. There might be some Joseph Roty estate Gevreys that I would get more excited about in the glass, but that's about it. Okay, I would also take a Ch. Margaux 1983. (Yes, I have had that wine, albeit a mere half glass in passing, like that girl in the subway window from when you were 19, who would never have you even if she knew you were looking at her like that.) Otherwise this is about the most gorgeous freaking liquid you can put in your mouth.

There is absolutely nothing flashy about it. But it just goes on and on and on. All the flower, all the fruit, and all the pit. It's like an orchard inside you.

PXL_20230430_222500602.MP-03.jpeg

Last edited:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
(It's about double the price of the lovely Sizzano, and about three times that of the yummy and drinkable "Longitudine.")
I have trouble with my better wines. First it's hard to get myself to buy them, then I fall into the "its too good to drink with what we are having for dinner" trap.
Heck, it's only twice or so what I'm usually paying for wine, I'll skip wine tomorrow to make up for it. No wait, I'm lying....

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Vac Vin works just as well. Or don't let them sit!
The newer stoppers don't seem to work well for me. Pump up the bottle. Next day, no more vacuum.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The newer stoppers don't seem to work well for me. Pump up the bottle. Next day, no more vacuum.
interesting, I'd agree

I have an older one that came with soft squishy grey stoppers and works great. Lost 2 of the 4 so bought some newer ones that are dark black and harder. They just don't work

Last edited:
TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I have an older one that came with soft squishy grey stoppers and works great. Lost 2 of the 4 so bought some newer ones that are dark black and harder. They just don't work
Exactly

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
interesting, I'd agree

I have been using inert gas and recorcking: I feel like it is faster, easier for me and those inert gas bottles last me a long time! I have had white wines sitting there for days and still good with the gas!

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have been using inert gas and recorcking: I feel like it is faster, easier for me and those inert gas bottles last me a long time! I have had white wines sitting there for days and still good with the gas!
I've bought a can or two. I found it easier to just pull the vac as I tended to drain the can quickly.

I am bad at guessing what I can't see, so tend to over do it. Save it for pricier ones which seldom go unfinished

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
interesting, I'd agree

I don't have any black ones, just a few of the original and my click ones are grey too. Have you tried taking them apart and washing them? The Vacuvin site recommends doing that if they aren't sealing properly.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
gas and a good stopper is def best. It is essentially what we do in a winery, but on a small scale. Vacuvin works to prevent oxidation, but does do some minor scalping of aromatics. It has been demonstrated experimentally. I think it is pretty minor from a sensory standpoint. But still prefer gas.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't have any black ones, just a few of the original and my click ones are grey too. Have you tried taking them apart and washing them? The Vacuvin site recommends doing that if they aren't sealing properly.
The darker black ones are harder rubber which is the issue. Maybe too cheap vs others.

I did order some off Amazon 20 min after my post, if squishier I'm keeping.

When using gas I skip the vac.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Support your local shop

tonight's effort.

20230502_170204.jpg

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Tonight’s little tryst. A small vinter in Piemonte. Fourth gen father to son estate . Nice balanced Nebbiolo. Nice acidity, and deep cherry notes. 4425ECC8-F394-4BAF-BFDF-64388F43846C.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online