• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mostly wine stuff

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Scott basically retired from big time winemaking to raise his kids, which I admire and envy greatly. When they are in school, he makes a little wine, doing all the work pretty much by himself. Great guy, great winemaker. Get on his mailing list and get invites to fun events.

Thanks for the tip! Yes, that's a common story around urban producers. One of the producers, I don't remember if it was Dashe Cellars, used to work at Laffitte Rotschild. And boy, did it show, She produces a red Zin that was divine. I tend to stay away from red Zin unless I try at the winery, because I find them typically too jammy, too out of whack, most of the time. This had so much restraint, minerality, the right acidity. Crazy good.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Tonight was our 29th wedding anniversary. We had Tresor, a cab, petit verdot, malbec, merlot, cab franc blend from Sonoma. Too dark for a decent photo, so here is the left overs:
View attachment 13404

The food was good but not outstanding. The wine was wonderful.

Happy anniversary Mike!

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Thanks for the tip! Yes, that's a common story around urban producers. One of the producers, I don't remember if it was Dashe Cellars, used to work at Laffitte Rotschild. And boy, did it show, She produces a red Zin that was divine. I tend to stay away from red Zin unless I try at the winery, because I find them typically too jammy, too out of whack, most of the time. This had so much restraint, minerality, the right acidity. Crazy good.
Dashe? That is a perfect example of old world sensibility in CA. You have good taste my friend.

A winemaker I once worked with said something like, "Zinfandel should be treated like a Burgundy varietal. But most CA winemakers treat it like its a Bordeaux variety". I generally agree with this statement and sounds like you do too. Despite her Bordeaux pedigree, they make a Burgundian style Zin.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Dashe does sound interesting. The day after Labor Day, our son had to go back to work so my wife and I decided to scout restaurants for that evening and check out the "urban wine" scene. The Oakland waterfront is a cool area. Unfortunately, most of the wine places were closed, it being Tuesday and all. We spent a while at the Rosenblum Cellars tasting room, since they were open -- I wasn't crazy about the wine, but what a great room!

We usually do one combined son-visit and wine tasting trip to California each year. Maybe we will run into one or both of you guys next year.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
This is drinking beautifully, at 7 years of age ... I love a nice Ribera. This one, like many good Riojas, has the nose and a lot of the flavors of a good claret. I truly can't believe this is a crianza.

1473903153087545750010.jpg

Last edited:

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Dashe does sound interesting. The day after Labor Day, our son had to go back to work so my wife and I decided to scout restaurants for that evening and check out the "urban wine" scene. The Oakland waterfront is a cool area. Unfortunately, most of the wine places were closed, it being Tuesday and all. We spent a while at the Rosenblum Cellars tasting room, since they were open -- I wasn't crazy about the wine, but what a great room!

We usually do one combined son-visit and wine tasting trip to California each year. Maybe we will run into one or both of you guys next year.
Just hasn't been the same since Kent Rosenblum (a veterinarian--natural background for a winemaker :) sold it.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Was recently invited to friends birthday wine tasting (well more drinking, eight eight of us sharing). Needless to say, he knows his sh*t. Each of them was a trip.

OMG. That's crazy. Happy for you guys. And sorry I missed the party, I'll try to make it next time ;)

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
On an ever-so-slightly different note, @SkiNurse and I spent yesterday helping out some friends on the first day of their crush. I'll be pouring wine at the Colorado Winefest in Palisade tomorrow; if anyone's around, stop by the Vines at Vail table and say hi.

Ahh, thank you for sharing! You guys are lucky over there. Here in CA, one of my neighbors produces wine (they grow their grapes, too). Every year they would invite neighbors to a harvest party. But the State decided that that was labor, so they pretty much had to cancel the whole thing. Outrageous.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Ahh, thank you for sharing! You guys are lucky over there. Here in CA, one of my neighbors produces wine (they grow their grapes, too). Every year they would invite neighbors to a harvest party. But the State decided that that was labor, so they pretty much had to cancel the whole thing. Outrageous.
If it's a commercial enterprise, yes. If they are not selling any of the wine, there are no regs that apply.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
On an ever-so-slightly different note, @SkiNurse and I spent yesterday helping out some friends on the first day of their crush. I'll be pouring wine at the Colorado Winefest in Palisade tomorrow; if anyone's around, stop by the Vines at Vail table and say hi.

Darn, I wish I could go. Palisade is just a bit too far given 15 hours of travel tomorrow.

Sponsor