• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mostly wine stuff

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I've only heard of Masters of Wine based in UK. Our club uses one of them for our selections.

Different group and pretty different process to certification.

Court of Master Sommeliers was made famous in the US based on the success of the Somm movies on Netflix a while back. For many, it has been considered the top of the somm profession in the US (though not necessarily wine where things like WSET may be more applicable) for a long while. That reputation I imagine is being hit hard after a previous cheating/testing debacle at the highest level, the departure of some notable MSs due to the Courts inability to take a stance on Black Live Matters, and now -- this.

This reminded me I wanted to spend an evening drinking wine and reading Victoria James' book -- Wine Girl.

Last edited:

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
....... Littorai makes quite possibly the best Pinot in California. They also make a damn fine Chardonnay. I have a bottle of their 2013 left that I should drink soon . . .

Couldn't resist your "ranking" - drank most of a bottle of their Wending Vinyard block E (2018) last night (with help). Fascinating wine - needs a little more time, obviously, but I was pleasantly surprised at how well it was drinking now, and how I was actually able to recognize an immature but destined for greatness wine. Better late than never for developing a (relatively) sophisticated palate. I still prefer a little more "dirty fruit" but can now see what the original objective was with Pinot.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Ahem. It's that time.

1474985327.png

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
20201119_201254.jpg
Wow, this was good. A 2010 Buehler cab sold to us by Mr. Buehler himself. One of our "good" bottles I saved that we actually drank at its peak. I cooked steaks from the shop at the bottom of the hill for my wife's birhday (Guess I should have taken the photo before I ate most of mine.)

Last edited:
TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Never noticed before how very much that label resembles paper currency.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Lol. Beaujolais Nouveau isn't my thing. But good single village Beaujolais can be one of the greatest values in fine wine!

Friday night, popped this. New estate to me. Case in point, @skibob. Lovely. Appears to have had just the right amount of age to take the raw edge off - yes, there is one lurking here, even though it's gamay - while preserving gorgeous black raspberry and strawberry fruit. It's like a popsicle in a bottle. There is also something here that reminds me of cab franc, in a good way. A bit of sage or tarragon or fennel - something green and stalky and not entirely friendly. It's a great accent note. All for fourteen bucks. Insane.

20201120_180709-01.jpeg

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
View attachment 115299
Wow, this was good. A 2010 Buehler cab sold to us by Mr. Buehler himself. One of our "good" bottles I saved that we actually drank at its peak. I cooked steaks from the shop at the bottom of the hill for my wife's birhday (Guess I should have taken the photo before I ate most of mine.)
You've eaten most of your steak, there is wine in yours and your wife's glass, and the bottle is clearly around about half full. The question arises, was this the second bottle? :ogbiggrin: [I suspect that I would have been way past half way if I had almost finished my steak ... but each to their own - some people drink most of their accompanying wine after they've eaten the accompaniment]

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Friday night, popped this. New estate to me. Case in point, @skibob. Lovely. Appears to have had just the right amount of age to take the raw edge off - yes, there is one lurking here, even though it's gamay - while preserving gorgeous black raspberry and strawberry fruit. It's like a popsicle in a bottle. There is also something here that reminds me of cab franc, in a good way. A bit of sage or tarragon or fennel - something green and stalky and not entirely friendly. It's a great accent note. All for fourteen bucks. Insane.

View attachment 115440
I've aged good Beaujolais up to 10 years from its vintage. 3-5 for something like this is its "prime" imho. I'll have to keep an eye out for this one!

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
These are two of the wines for the holiday and a little toy to help enjoy them.
PXL_20201126_020736345.jpg
PXL_20201126_020746704.jpg
PXL_20201126_021501345.jpg

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
More Cab with the Italian part of our Thanksgiving meal.
PXL_20201126_210310711.jpg

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
First night was quite impressive. Almost syrupy like many old madeiras. Dried figs, maple syrup (yes, maple), plus earthy tones like cardamom, cinnamon and so on.

Second night I swear it had browned noticeably and showed some oxidative flavors and muted fruit. Needless to say, Port should NOT fall apart in one day, or even one month. This unique wine was only bottled in 2017. A typical 1968 vintage port would have beeen bottled between 1972 and 1978.

There is still some left, so we will see what the third night brings :).

Sponsor

Staff online

• dbostedo
    Asst. Gathermeister
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid