• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mostly wine stuff

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Last night's dinner (with zoomed friends)...
Filet, sun-dried-tomato polenta, mushrooms, beans.
The wine is a good mid-range cab. (Mid-range for my wallet, at least).

I really get a kick out of their marketing story -- wine is a series of educated (at best) guesses in the making and the buying, but you don't really know what you have till you drink it.

20210109_190206.jpg

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
If you are a fan of American Airlines They now have a wine club that sells to you at home.
You get 2 Advantage Miles per dollar. LOL

They have all this extra wine due to people not flying .. Maybe belongs in the
"You can't make this stuff up thread"

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
If you are a fan of American Airlines They now have a wine club that sells to you at home.
You get 2 Advantage Miles per dollar. LOL

They have all this extra wine due to people not flying .. Maybe belongs in the
"You can't make this stuff up thread"
I haven't looked at the lists of wine but (IMHO) American Airlines sucks. Also, most airline wine is from 3-4 large producers. Even first class tends to be "the usual suspects" rather than interesting and unique stuff.

EDIT: I should add that airlines (and cruise lines) do a lot of "private label" stuff. So it might be something you've never heard of, produced by a large company. Insider tip: If produced in Modesto, it is Gallo. If produced in Gonzales it is Constellation. If produced in Ceres, it is Bronco. If produced in Lodi, it is probably Delicato or Constellation or Sutter Home (Trinchero). Napa (any city) is a little trickier, but if it is on an airline, it might be Sutter Home (Trinchero) or Gallo (which has purchased a few large wineries in Napa in recent years). Sonoma would likely be Gallo (Healdsburg or Geyserville) or Vintage Wine Estates (Sonoma or Kenwood).

Last edited:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I haven't looked at the lists of wine but (IMHO) American Airlines sucks. Also, most airline wine is from 3-4 large producers. Even first class tends to be "the usual suspects" rather than interesting and unique stuff.

EDIT: I should add that airlines (and cruise lines) do a lot of "private label" stuff. So it might be something you've never heard of, produced by a large company. Insider tip: If produced in Modesto, it is Gallo. If produced in Gonzales it is Constellation. If produced in Ceres, it is Bronco. If produced in Lodi, it is probably Delicato or Constellation or Sutter Home (Trinchero). Napa (any city) is a little trickier, but if it is on an airline, it might be Sutter Home (Trinchero) or Gallo (which has purchased a few large wineries in Napa in recent years). Sonoma would likely be Gallo (Healdsburg or Geyserville) or Vintage Wine Estates (Sonoma or Kenwood).
I thought that the airlines used box wine because they did not want to have glass break on a plain.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Had this very bright and delightful chianti last night with some homemade ricotta ravioli. Monte Bernardi Sangio -- from a vineyard that is working through its organic certification so its grapes can go into fancier cuvees. This isn't some ponderous or overly complex wine, just really nice classic sangiovese fruit, well made and balanced. A wine that wants to be drunk. Plus it comes in a 1L bottle for ~$22.

141776304_233186925086511_1125917481903391221_n.jpg

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Had this very bright and delightful chianti last night with some homemade ricotta ravioli. Monte Bernardi Sangio -- from a vineyard that is working through its organic certification so its grapes can go into fancier cuvees. This isn't some ponderous or overly complex wine, just really nice classic sangiovese fruit, well made and balanced. A wine that wants to be drunk. Plus it comes in a 1L bottle for ~$22.

View attachment 121839
Thanks for this recommendation I will have to look for it. I enjoy a classico chianti with a nice Italian meal.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I haven't looked at the lists of wine but (IMHO) American Airlines sucks.
I had a nice tempranillo on AA once, but that was definitely an exception. Mostly pretty blah -- better than no wine at all, but only slightly.

The tempranilo was purchased single-serve wine in the back of the plane, so maybe this is apples and oranges. The few times I've flown first class where they pour from real bottles I don't remember anything memorable. (A bit of a paradox - the wines I remember were not memorable!)

I was saving the single-serve plastic bottles for awhile, on the theory that when travelling I could pour the remnants of a full size bottle into them to exclude oxygen and slow spoiling. I never could seem to have one around when I needed one, so I gave up on that.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I had a nice tempranillo on AA once, but that was definitely an exception. Mostly pretty blah -- better than no wine at all, but only slightly.

The tempranilo was purchased single-serve wine in the back of the plane, so maybe this is apples and oranges. The few times I've flown first class where they pour from real bottles I don't remember anything memorable. (A bit of a paradox - the wines I remember were not memorable!)

I was saving the single-serve plastic bottles for awhile, on the theory that when travelling I could pour the remnants of a full size bottle into them to exclude oxygen and slow spoiling. I never could seem to have one around when I needed one, so I gave up on that.
Breaking down wine into smaller bottles is absolutely a great strategy for preservation though. Pour carefully and don't wait too long (as you will have introduced some oxygen no matter how careful you are). High end wineries will break lots down when a barrel can't be topped. Half barrels, demis, carboys. I have a friend who was research enologist at Opus in the early days and she said the management demanded they break down all the way to the half bottle level (375ml) because they thought the wine was so precious. Most wineries don't go beyond the carboy level (5 gallons).

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Pour carefully

I assume this means 'no splash'.

Related to @mdf 's post, has anyone done high-altitude comparative taste testing - and is there a terrestrial accommodation being made by retailers? Or is the accommodation crowded out by low-altitude expectations/staying within known preferences?

Last edited:
TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Breaking down wine into smaller bottles is absolutely a great strategy for preservation though. Pour carefully and don't wait too long (as you will have introduced some oxygen no matter how careful you are). High end wineries will break lots down when a barrel can't be topped. Half barrels, demis, carboys. I have a friend who was research enologist at Opus in the early days and she said the management demanded they break down all the way to the half bottle level (375ml) because they thought the wine was so precious. Most wineries don't go beyond the carboy level (5 gallons).
So basically what you're telling us is that it's actually Opus One Half.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
So basically what you're telling us is that it's actually Opus One Half.

I am now imagining the marketing team trying to deal with 'Opuscule'.

Without evoking zits on a bum. :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

OK, just scrolled through AA's offerings - I might have been curious about the Douro and the Alsatian Pinot Gris enough to take a flyer.

Last edited:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Not awful
20210130_223244.jpg

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Good stuff
20210130_224350.jpg

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Lodi, it is probably Delicato
Delicato is actually Manteca (which means lard in Spanish). We stopped there on one of our trips between San Jose and Kirkwood/So Tahoe about (or at least) 5 years ago. It only adds a mile or two and about 10 minutes to our trip. We've bought a few cases as they would often have acceptable wine from previous year on sale for $40-60/case. They own a lot of brands including Gnarly Head, Z Alexander Brown (from country musician Zach Brown) and somewhat recent additions AFAIK 120 from Chile and Mercer from WA State.

Eventually they changed the pricing so members pay $10-20 less per case; i.e. $40 instead of $50 or $60 instead of $80 so I joined their wine club where you get two bottles every two months for $31.50. We've found too many Pinot Grigios in our shipments (that we pickup), but they are willing to substitute and we also gotten some good wines, gifts and attended a couple of events there. One event was a members only tasting of Black Stallion wines where you could make a mixed case for $120 and these were Napa and Sonoma wines that retailed for $35-50. They have started charging for tasting, but members are free, COVID and weather permitting as they are only went back to tasting outside, with reservations, last weekend.

On my early Jan. trip to Kirkwood and Heavenly, I left Kirkwood after 2 and easily made it to Delicato well before 5 PM. I had a couple of shipments to pickup and while I didn't find any interesting cases on sale, I found a couple of $7 bottles in the sale rack that were worth getting. These are heavily discounted because they are the last of a vintage or the label is flawed. Delicato also does Bota Box and this month members got 3L box for $14.39 plus tax. I brought home a couple of boxes of Nighthawk Black, Rich Red Blend that we'd recently bought at Safeway and enjoyed. I think it is the only box wine included in Wine Enthusiast's Top 100 Wine Buys of 2020 where they say $23/3L and "This deep colored and concentrated wine packs in ample black-fruit flavors and supports them with firm tannins. Baking spices and cedar add complexity to the core of tasty berries."

Last week, I was at Tahoe again and told my wife it looked I would try to get home in lull in storm Wed PM, but I didn't think I'd make it to Delicato. She was disappointed and when I called and said I lied she thought it meant I was not coming home after 3 powder days, but I told her I was on way home and should also be able to get there before they closed. I easily made it, although it was pouring rain before and after my stop. I bought four more boxes (one was for my Mom) and got a case of Mercer Brothers Horse 2017 Heaven Hills Cabernet for $60 ($80 non-members). I probably should have bought more as it's very good, no. 72 on Wine Enthusiasts Best Wines of 2020. I knew Mercer as we had previously bought case of 2016 Reserve Heritage Blend for $80/case, and it's excellent. Below (from left to right) is good, better, best
1129DelicatoCR.JPG

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Delicato is actually Manteca (which means lard in Spanish). We stopped there on one of our trips between San Jose and Kirkwood/So Tahoe about (or at least) 5 years ago. It only adds a mile or two and about 10 minutes to our trip. We've bought a few cases as they would often have acceptable wine from previous year on sale for $40-60/case. They own a lot of brands including Gnarly Head, Z Alexander Brown (from country musician Zach Brown) and somewhat recent additions AFAIK 120 from Chile and Mercer from WA State.

Eventually they changed the pricing so members pay $10-20 less per case; i.e. $40 instead of $50 or $60 instead of $80 so I joined their wine club where you get two bottles every two months for $31.50. We've found too many Pinot Grigios in our shipments (that we pickup), but they are willing to substitute and we also gotten some good wines, gifts and attended a couple of events there. One event was a members only tasting of Black Stallion wines where you could make a mixed case for $120 and these were Napa and Sonoma wines that retailed for $35-50. They have started charging for tasting, but members are free, COVID and weather permitting as they are only went back to tasting outside, with reservations, last weekend.

On my early Jan. trip to Kirkwood and Heavenly, I left Kirkwood after 2 and easily made it to Delicato well before 5 PM. I had a couple of shipments to pickup and while I didn't find any interesting cases on sale, I found a couple of $7 bottles in the sale rack that were worth getting. These are heavily discounted because they are the last of a vintage or the label is flawed. Delicato also does Bota Box and this month members got 3L box for $14.39 plus tax. I brought home a couple of boxes of Nighthawk Black, Rich Red Blend that we'd recently bought at Safeway and enjoyed. I think it is the only box wine included in Wine Enthusiast's Top 100 Wine Buys of 2020 where they say $23/3L and "This deep colored and concentrated wine packs in ample black-fruit flavors and supports them with firm tannins. Baking spices and cedar add complexity to the core of tasty berries."

Last week, I was at Tahoe again and told my wife it looked I would try to get home in lull in storm Wed PM, but I didn't think I'd make it to Delicato. She was disappointed and when I called and said I lied she thought it meant I was not coming home after 3 powder days, but I told her I was on way home and should also be able to get there before they closed. I easily made it, although it was pouring rain before and after my stop. I bought four more boxes (one was for my Mom) and got a case of Mercer Brothers Horse 2017 Heaven Hills Cabernet for $60 ($80 non-members). I probably should have bought more as it's very good, no. 72 on Wine Enthusiasts Best Wines of 2020. I knew Mercer as we had previously bought case of 2016 Reserve Heritage Blend for $80/case, and it's excellent. Below (from left to right) is good, better, best
View attachment 122837
Of the big guys, Delicato does a better job than most. The original winery and most of management is in Manteca. But they have a huge operation in Lodi--might even be bigger now than Manteca. I didn't mean that Lodi was their only operation though--just that it was one of the possibilities if the wine said produced in Lodi. Gallo, for example, has another very large winery in Livingston. Bronco has another near there too--can't remember the name of the one stoplight town it is "in". For Bronco that is their "organic" winery.

To give you an idea of scale, I have a client who used to buy bulk wine from Bronco a lot. His favorite factoid: Bronco makes more wine than . . . New Zealand. The big winery in Ceres can process 300 truckloads of grapes + per day at peak. They have two huge rows of 700,000 gallon tanks in their tank farm.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
"organic" winery.

Do you have any insight as to what that actually means?

Herself refuses to let me put any US wine with 'organic' on the label on the table - she associates the term with wild, uncontrolled yeasty nastiness and headache-level ear buzz.

"Sure, dear, you can buy more ski tuning wine"

Sponsor

Staff online