mostly wine stuff

Paul Lutes

Out on the slopes
Skier
That's what I'd heard - Parker doesn't taste blind; I completely ignore his evaluations. Glad to hear he's the exception.

skibob

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That's what I'd heard - Parker doesn't taste blind; I completely ignore his evaluations. Glad to hear he's the exception.
I don't ignore them entirely for two reasons.

Despite not tasting blind, he is incredibly consistent. Take that as you will, but I find that wines with specific scores have consistent qualities and characteristics. So, anything over 91, I am probably not interested in. Because his preferred style of wine doesn't appeal to me. I find it overextracted, overripe, overoaked. For my taste. It is a showy sports car wine which just isn't my style. However, the wines he rates between 87 and 91 are often very well made but more traditional/Euro style wines. He has a good palate, I just don't share his sense of taste. I look for a review that can be summarized thusly: "It is really good, with (lots of descriptors, because it is a deep wine) but not very (ripe, or concentrated, or developed are the words he usually uses)". I almost always love these wines. And he usually only includes them if they are not very expensive, because, in his opinion, that is the only reason one would buy such a deficient wine. These are real race cars, not showy toys.

I've found some real jewels this way. And, even though he writes fewer, if any since selling Wine Advocate, they have carried on more or less in the same way.