• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mostly wine stuff

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Even though 1961 was top vintage in places - notably Bordeaux - this wine is likely to be pretty attenuated, at best, in terms of fruit. After all, it's 60 years old. Consider serving it with a gently flavored dish. Roast chicken is probably safe. Certainly nothing spicy. I am not knowledgeable about Spanish cuisine but maybe someone here is. I can certainly imagine a simple post-entrée mild cheese and jamón course with this. And have a backup bottle of something on hand just in case.
Also think about what you're going to do if the cork disintegrates when you go to open it. Though I suppose it's possible a wine that old has been re-corked.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Also think about what you're going to do if the cork disintegrates when you go to open it. Though I suppose it's possible a wine that old has been re-corked.
I recall that it was recently rebottled too assure it is palattable. I pondered for a while before buying, but figured why not, a bit gimmicky but then thought- whens the next time I'd try a 60 yr wine esp if shared amongst others.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Love her wines.

Last edited:
TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Pale and proud. I'm not sure exactly what kind of shrubberies this tastes like. Kate Bush would know. This wine is definitely a soprano. Not that there's anything wrong with that!
20210816_185511-01.jpeg

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Tony S 's bottle reminded me of this bottle that I should have posted about before the name change - the rare skiing varietal PUG-nitello (wasn't bad either):
IMG_0266.JPG

Reactions: doc

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Read a brief story in the WSJ on terroir and climate for wine and how regions may push for a change in varietals grown.

Interesting story that tossed out ideas that Oregon is becoming more dry and consistent while California and droughts may change what's grown.

maybe this link will work:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Interesting story that tossed out ideas that Oregon is becoming more dry and consistent while California and droughts may change what's grown.

I'd love to read a wine projection for the climate change scenario where the Gulf Stream breaks up into random oscillations.

#ScottishsherryorMoroccanBarolo?
#PadraigXimenes?

Last edited:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I opened this over the weekend but didn't post it, better late than never.
PXL_20210830_222916026.jpg
It seems very heavy almost leather like, I know that sounds strange, who wants their wine to taste like leather?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
You're drinking it, but you want us to tell you if it's good.

It went to his head? And the proof is he linked to a different wine in the image.

Think for it as practice for keeping a straight face in the gear threads when people ask about *random 9x waist ski* they were given for Christmas.

It's a Wakefield Jaraman Shiraz 2015... Any good?

View attachment 141214

IME LCBO are actually pretty decent in curating (yes, I used that word but it is actually appropriate here) their collection to be true-to-labeled genre. Put another way, they will never put a genre-bending wine on the shelf unless it's both an insane deal and an unknown source - think Moldovan aromatic whites or Uruguayan light reds here. Interestingly, frustratingly, curiously, reliably (<- pick your comfort level) they are actually better at it than large chains down here (Total Wine, I'm looking at you). Especially in their Rhone section.

Put another way, LCBO is a good label-to-palate training venue.

Last edited:

Tony

tseeb
Skier
I could put this in the Wine Bargains, but does not seem like much is going on over there. I returned to a Grocery Outlet on the other side of San Jose as I was there last month and found 6-pack cans of topping that mixes in with dry food and is supposed to be good for dog's coats and made our White German Shepherd more enthusiastic about eating. Of course, it was all gone, but I found 2017 Rock Wall Pearl Hart Reserve Zin for $9.99, full price is $55. I saw it on the shelves, then found more on the end cap.

It's a big (15.63%), but very smooth and complex Contra Costa County Zinfandel (label says it smells like ripe cherry and spice, flavors of berry pie, pipe tobacco, saddle leather, blackberry, black tea, honey and cherry blossom). The 80% Zin is from vineyards first harvested in 1888 and rest is Carignan and Alicante. named after the only known female stagecoach robber. It's one of the two double golds at The Fifty Best | California Zinfandel 2017 and compares well to other $30-40 CA Zins we've had.

My wife and I each got two and should go back for a few more as with the label and interesting story on the back it would make a nice gift.

2228PearlHart.JPG

Tony

tseeb
Skier
I left out Bouschet in my previous post and it's too late to edit, so I'm adding a post to say Zinfandel in Pearl Hart is 80% and the rest is Carignan and Alicante Bouschet, which I don't think I've had as a single varietal. The tasting notes at The Fifty Best | California Zinfandel 2017 follow:
Aroma: Blackberry, dark fruit, cassis, Dr. Pepper, dried herbs, mint, basil, pepper, cinnamon, pipe tobacco, coffee, smoky, woodsy, oak, savory.
Palate: Raspberry, red berry, blackberry, plum, dried fruit, chocolate, vanilla, spice, cinnamon, clove, anise, licorice, big smoke, medium tannins, soft.
Finish: Cherry, chocolate, rich spice, cinnamon, licorice, good structure, nice balance, flavors linger, nice length, long rich fruit.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Cracked this new to me varietal from a winery in Paonia Colorado tonight. I adore this winery and this wine.

26827EA7-4153-4AFC-AACB-EF072A452D32.jpeg