• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mostly wine stuff

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
First night was quite impressive. Almost syrupy like many old madeiras. Dried figs, maple syrup (yes, maple), plus earthy tones like cardamom, cinnamon and so on.

Second night I swear it had browned noticeably and showed some oxidative flavors and muted fruit. Needless to say, Port should NOT fall apart in one day, or even one month. This unique wine was only bottled in 2017. A typical 1968 vintage port would have beeen bottled between 1972 and 1978.

There is still some left, so we will see what the third night brings :).
So this is an LLLLLBV. Interesting. It would be cool to see a photo showing the color of this wine.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Just the two of us for this Thanksgiving -- unwilling to travel or gather given the current state of the world.

I've always leaned towards lighter reds or rich whites for Thanksgiving meal, and since it was just us two we could go as weird as we wanted this year. Our theme this year was rustic, unrefined, unfiltered and--in a sense--old.

On the left -- Pais from Chile. The national grape before Internationales took over. This bottling is from a wild vineyard (the fellow is on a ladder because some of the grapes are in fact picked from trees.) Partial whole cluster. If you like weird beajoulais crossed with some of the earthy barnyard of cab franc, here's your ticket. Light in color, tons of strawberries and herbs. Depending on your tolerance, may need a brief decant to blow off some of the brett. (My wife--a sour beer head--digs brett way more than me. So she drank straight out of the bottle while I let it sit for 20min).

On the right -- Khikhvi from Georgia. An amber wine (or what hip kids would call orange) -- white skinned grapes but made with skin (and seed) contact in massive underground qvevri (sorta like amphoras, but huge and permanently installed in the earth.) Incredibly floral, with some cardamon type spices and deceptively rich tannins. Just beautiful gold in a glass. (Oh, and don't just pour out the remainder of the bottle without attention unless you like drinking plenty of sediment.) At just under $30 a bottle it's not cheap, but it will create a wine memory (whether you like it or not, I can't say) far more than most $30 bottles out there.

89036428-5961-40D8-AD87-D84915AB2C8E.jpeg

Last edited:

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier

Just added notes. I like having some sort of theme for a special dinner. Sometimes thats a grape, sometimes it's a vintage, sometimes a place, sometimes a style. Sometimes it's just as simple as "old and of the land" which felt appropriate for Thanksgiving.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So I’m just throwing this one in. A fav since my US years and I order a box every now and then, but it was a while ago, a very good one inmo.

Attachments

• 7B106348-0CF1-415C-B7E3-1AE0A7C681DD.jpeg
    7B106348-0CF1-415C-B7E3-1AE0A7C681DD.jpeg
    160.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So I’m just throwing this one in. A fav since my US years and I order a box every now and then, but it was a while ago, a very good one inmo.
I had a bottle of this a couple years ago - in Quebec, of all places. Don't remember the vintage, but it was superb. They've kept it going.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Took a chance on one of my elderly bottles from 2003. (I know thats not that old, but my cellar is less than ideal.)

It held up well, is still in its prime. Quite a different style than my usual -- a bit of a floral note. Nice to have something different.
20201129_201635.jpg

Its time to get rid of ny wife's birthday roses, by the way. They are past their prime. That turkey is looking a bit suspicious too.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
.....and no desiccated petals on the table; they're good or another 3 weeks. One of those special rose blossoms that gets better with cutting. :geek:
Removed the leaves and the worst blooms, got another half week out of them!
20201203_200236.jpg

Oh, and the wine in the original picture was quite good but quite different the second day. The flowers (in the wine) were completely gone.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Removed the leaves and the worst blooms, got another half week out of them!
View attachment 116739

Oh, and the wine in the original picture was quite good but quite different the second day. The flowers (in the wine) were completely gone.
What's that pinot?

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
What's that pinot?
It's a 2017 called "noah river", from a Napa company but just domained as "California".
It is pleasant - mid to low tannin (on my scale), some rasberry notes. Not all that pinoty to be honest.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Tell me about the current Oz/China kerfuffle and is there anything originally sent to the Chinese market that would be of note if/when it came to North America? I can't really imagine what it would be, but ...willing to hear about it. :huh:

Yes, I just watched someone from Taylors in SA get ...emotional... over his projected sales.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
We sampled two wines tonight, the first one was under $10.00 and it was the better of the two.
PXL_20201212_220509890.jpg
PXL_20201212_220518572.jpg

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Broadbent are a negociant?

Full liter, under $10, and sold in mom and pop groceries, their Grüner Veltliner is a reliable deal and an easy introduction to the varietal. Grassiness and green pepper is there but not front and center.

Herself has no GrüVe palate and has a hard time getting past Sauvignon Blanc expectations; she didn't mind this.

Uncle-A

Skier
apples and oranges
I don't know if I was comparing one against the other, just that I liked the first one better than the second. Can't you say you like a Cab better than a Merlot with out comparing them?

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't know if I was comparing one against the other, just that I liked the first one better than the second. Can't you say you like a Cab better than a Merlot with out comparing them?
Sure. But that's not what you said. You said...

We sampled two wines tonight, the first one was under $10.00 and it was the better of the two.

... which is different. Especially without saying WHY you thought it was better.

If you thought the VV was better because it was fresh and perfumed and long lasting in the mouth while the Albariño was tired and oxidized, that supports your original statement. However, if you didn't like the latter because it was broad and fleshy and smelled like broiled grapefruit, while the VV was delicate and tart and penetrating, you are just describing the way two different wines differ as expected.

Uncle-A

Skier
Sure. But that's not what you said. You said...

... which is different. Especially without saying WHY you thought it was better.

If you thought the VV was better because it was fresh and perfumed and long lasting in the mouth while the Albariño was tired and oxidized, that supports your original statement. However, if you didn't like the latter because it was broad and fleshy and smelled like broiled grapefruit, while the VV was delicate and tart and penetrating, you are just describing the way two different wines differ as expected.
Well if I must explain myself I think the VV would go well with the Portuguese menu item Shrimp with Green Sause that I have enjoyed many times. I have heard the VV referred to as Green Wine. As for the Albarino I think it would go well with the Italian menu item Shrimp Fra Diavolo that I have also enjoyed many times. As the song goes "It all depends upon your apatite". You may know I am not a fan of fancy wordsmith advertising, especially when it comes to the wine industry. But that is only me if others care to do it, that is up to them and they do not have to explain themselves to me. Just live life and enjoy the wine.

Sponsor