• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mostly wine stuff

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I tried this over the weekend and it was a good choice, I might go out and get more.
PXL_20210403_232353980.MP.jpg

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
A very nice French cab franc, a gift from a friend. it started a bit tight but now an hour later it is superb.
We are eating in the "bistro" tonight because we thought we were skypeing with our son on the big screen. But he is still talking to one of his friends, so some other time...
20210418_201038.jpg

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We got an early Christmas present from @AKMINK's dad and stepmother. I am looking forward to these!
View attachment 117608
Well, we had some wine friends over last night and drank these with some grilled pronghorn backstrap steaks, butterflied over asparagus and topped with a reduced mushroom/wine sauce and roasted baby potatoes. Yes, it was good!

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, we had some wine friends over last night and drank these with some grilled pronghorn backstrap steaks, butterflied over asparagus and topped with a reduced mushroom/wine sauce and roasted baby potatoes. Yes, it was good!
Who's the cook?

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@skibob, where were you last week when @mdf and I were at Tahoe?

Anyway, couple of lovely bottles from the past week.

The first, I hasten to note, is not the CdP from Pegau, which is beyond me, but the CdR. Nevertheless it is superb. The best known "super Côtes du Rhône," such as Coudoulet from Beaucastel, don't have much, if anything, on this except higher prices. The wine is totally straight and true to type, with all the ripe fruit of its modern peers but perfect balance and a real backbone. The Grenache and Syrah qualities are notably complementary, with the nod going to the G, as it should in the south. This could easily pass for a top Gigondas.

The second wine has rushed into my heart despite its stuffy label. This is what happens, I guess, when you grow Dolcetto on a vineyard site that is the Barolo equivalent of a grand cru - "on the hillside between Bricco Boschis and Monprivato/Codana," (!!!) according to the winery.

In striking similarity to the Pegau, it is loaded with perfectly ripe black cherry fruit, but far transcends that with traditional fennel, tobacco, and leather overtones and - especially - insane length and evolution on the palate. Great match with tonight's earthy spring chard-and-chorizo risotto.

20210513_195432-01.jpeg 20210513_170706-01.jpeg 20210509_190951-02-01.jpeg

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
@skibob, where were you last week when @mdf and I were at Tahoe?

Anyway, couple of lovely bottles from the past week.

The first, I hasten to note, is not the CdP from Pegau, which is beyond me, but the CdR. Nevertheless it is superb. The best known "super Côtes du Rhône," such as Coudoulet from Beaucastel, don't have much, if anything, on this except higher prices. The wine is totally straight and true to type, with all the ripe fruit of its modern peers but perfect balance and a real backbone. The Grenache and Syrah qualities are notably complementary, with the nod going to the G, as it should in the south. This could easily pass for a top Gigondas.

The second wine has rushed into my heart despite its stuffy label. This is what happens, I guess, when you grow Dolcetto on a vineyard site that is the Barolo equivalent of a grand cru - "on the hillside between Bricco Boschis and Monprivato/Codana," (!!!) according to the winery.

In striking similarity to the Pegau, it is loaded with perfectly ripe black cherry fruit, but far transcends that with traditional fennel, tobacco, and leather overtones and - especially - insane length and evolution on the palate. Great match with tonight's earthy spring chard-and-chorizo risotto.

View attachment 133707 View attachment 133708 View attachment 133709
Sadly, I was not in Tahoe! My last day was March 26 this year. Not really regretting, because the snow surface was pretty darn good that day. But my real job has been demanding too much attention of late.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
So, this is one of the things I love of having a wine fridge. I was moving some crap around, making room for new crap, and I found this piece of crap :roflmao: . And I had one of these :yahoo: moments. Seriously, the joy of find a 12 years old beautiful wine out of the blue.

I know this may be the wine talking, but this Ribera is drinking beautifully :D

PXL_20210521_020506190.jpg

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So it's been several months of drinking lighter-colored (but not necessarily lighter) reds almost exclusively. Gamay, pinot, mencìa, dolcetto, and especially nebbiolo. @mdf gave me some nice cabs when we were at Squaw, but that was the exception to the rule.

Then last night I popped a La Clape from the Languedoc. It was not overweight or overripe or overreaching. In fact it was really good. But ....... oh my god it was like eating a marzipan croissant after six months of nothing but pain au levain. Kind of awesome, but kind of nauseating. Just too much. Interesting phenomenon.

"Give me my thistles back!" said Eeyore.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
So it's been several months of drinking lighter-colored (but not necessarily lighter) reds almost exclusively. Gamay, pinot, mencìa, dolcetto, and especially nebbiolo. @mdf gave me some nice cabs when we were at Squaw, but that was the exception to the rule.

Then last night I popped a La Clape from the Languedoc. It was not overweight or overripe or overreaching. In fact it was really good. But ....... oh my god it was like eating a marzipan croissant after six months of nothing but pain au levain. Kind of awesome, but kind of nauseating. Just too much. Interesting phenomenon.

"Give me my thistles back!" said Eeyore.
I went France and got a case of the Clape :geek: :rolleyes: :roflmao:

Uncle-A

Skier
We have three new to us for the weekend.
PXL_20210529_200102397.jpg
PXL_20210529_200117142.jpg
PXL_20210529_195945527.jpg
Two reds and a white, the first is the Pinot Noir that I enjoyed with tonight's dinner. It was very pleasant and lived up to it's name. As we open the others I will add my thoughts on them.

Uncle-A

Skier
We have three new to us for the weekend.
View attachment 134898
View attachment 134899
View attachment 134900
Two reds and a white, the first is the Pinot Noir that I enjoyed with tonight's dinner. It was very pleasant and lived up to it's name. As we open the others I will add my thoughts on them.
So tonight we had the Sicilian wine and it was very good, they tend to be heavy red wines and this one did not disappoint. It had a slightly earthy or mineral taste, not bad but seemed just right.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Anniversary dinner last evening. We had a bottle of this in the 2016 edition.

View attachment 134909

Absolutely spectacular. There are 6 bottles now coming to join my well-stocked cellar...
Interesting. This is the Altare barbera. I had to Google to refresh my memory. Obviously the '16s from Piemonte are getting great press, and I've certainly had good ones, though unfortunately not in this price bracket. How does it hold up to the new oak that I think this estate is still known for. employing?

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Interesting. This is the Altare barbera. I had to Google to refresh my memory. Obviously the '16s from Piemonte are getting great press, and I've certainly had good ones, though unfortunately not in this price bracket. How does it hold up to the new oak that I think this estate is still known for. employing?
My wife and I were blown away by this wine. It has quite high alcohol (15.2%!) which we generally don't appreciate, but it is not hot at all. The new oak is well integrated into the structure of the wine. Galloni gave it a 95+, and I thought it was pretty apt: "The 2016 will soon take its place as one of the greatest Larigis ever made. It is every bit that special." It drinks beautifully now, but I'll likely keep it in the cellar 5 or more years to see how it develops.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a new wine maven. He recommended this and it's good stuff. Very juicy and drinkable. Lots of things in common with a good Côtes du Rhône but with a bit more lift and brightness. Something very herbal on the nose along with the raspberry. Yummy.
20210601_195231-01.jpeg 20210601_195251-01.jpeg

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a new wine maven. He recommended this and it's good stuff. Very juicy and drinkable. Lots of things in common with a good Côtes du Rhône but with a bit more lift and brightness. Something very herbal on the nose along with the raspberry. Yummy.
View attachment 135074 View attachment 135075
That's a new area to me. Good to know.

Uncle-A

Skier
View attachment 135074 View attachment 135075
Tell me more about this "lift and brightness" stuff.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
And now for something completely different. It has suddenly gotten summery-humid here in Maine. After mowing the lawn I popped this 7.2% alcohol number with a crown cap. It does, as piquette fans say, drink like beer. In this case it drinks like a beer that smells like feet. Okay, I understand that some people like that. I think they are nuts.

It is refreshing and satisfying in a strange not-a-wine way. And it is hella pretty to look at. However at almost $20 it is way way overpriced.

20210605_165442-01.jpeg 20210605_165606-01.jpeg

Sponsor

Staff online