• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mostly wine stuff

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I've been a big Daou fan for awhile now. Their entry cab is a great mid-range semi-splurge. But last night it was a disappointment. It was not nearly as big or "cabby" as in the past. It even tasted a bit sweet.
I wish I kept better track of vintages... now I'm wondering if I've had this one before.

Here's hoping the 2021 is back to their usual level.

20221120_202329.jpg

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I've been a big Daou fan for awhile now. Their entry cab is a great mid-range semi-splurge. But last night it was a disappointment. It was not nearly as big or "cabby" as in the past. It even tasted a bit sweet.
I wish I kept better track of vintages... now I'm wondering if I've had this one before.

Here's hoping the 2021 is back to their usual level.

View attachment 183663
This post sent me on a little Google outing. I hadn't realized that Daou is the former Hoffman Mountain Ranch ("HMR").

Also this stunning number:
Today his estate – at 650m the highest in the area planted with Bordeaux varieties – comprises 280 hectares of which 81 are planted to vine, but this is set to grow dramatically; last year his new vine plantings accounted for some 4% of the total across the Golden State.

Last edited:

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Burger Wine: jammy, forward, smooth, little to no oak.

Had a good one last night (with burgers--score!). Foppiano Vyd "1896" red blend. No blend info listed. I assume it is mainly Zin and Petit Sirah

I picked up some of this 2019 Foppiano 1896 Red Blend from this discussion and I'm impressed with the depth of and richness going on for an inexpensive blend. It's a jam party on the tongue. Almost fruit leather like. Even nicer that I got it on clearance sale.

Here's the writeup:
66.59% Petite Sirah 13.63% Carignaine 8.36% Barbera 7.29% Mouvedre 4.13% Zinfandel.

This wine offers an aromatic explosion of black fruit, cinnamon, rose petals, dried thyme and warm tar. On the palate, there Aromas of blackberry jam, nutmeg and cinnamon. On the full and structured palate, there are flavors of dark plum, blackberries, blueberries, and a dense minerality (which leads into a softer mid-palate, well- integrated oak, and balanced acidity). The lingering finish tastes pleasantly of plums and mulling spices.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Foppiano...
We had a great time visiting Foppiano years ago (ok, there is a chance I've got it mixed up with some other place, but I think it was them).
They had their zin on tap in the tasting room and people could bring in growlers and refill them at a discount.
The woman running the tasting room went home sick and old man Foppiano took over.... quite a character.
When we were ready to leave, we wanted to buy some wine. Foppiano says, "I'm not quite sure how to sell you wine. They normally don't let me touch the computer. You wouldn't have cash, would you?" He eventually figured it out and we left happy.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
We had a great time visiting Foppiano years ago (ok, there is a chance I've got it mixed up with some other place, but I think it was them).
They had their zin on tap in the tasting room and people could bring in growlers and refill them at a discount.
The woman running the tasting room went home sick and old man Foppiano took over.... quite a character.
When we were ready to leave, we wanted to buy some wine. Foppiano says, "I'm not quite sure how to sell you wine. They normally don't let me touch the computer. You wouldn't have cash, would you?" He eventually figured it out and we left happy.
That sounds right. Lou Foppiano died about 10 years ago. IIRC he was like 101 or thereabouts. He was kicking around the winery doing things until the last 5 years or so of his life.

Incidentally, his son was the president of the Santa Rosa Ski Club and, so far as I know, still skis.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
After the big meal of the day and a few bottles of wine, we opened this as a nightcap.
PXL_20221125_025331052.jpg
It is a good bottle to just slowly enjoy a nice glass of wine.

Uncle-A

Skier
This is today's sample.
PXL_20221127_200509253.jpg
I like the full body taste of this wine.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Today's winning gamble. I pulled a bottle that is well beyond the usual aging horizon of my imperfect cellar. It took awhile to wake up ... I had my doubts ... but then it was yummy! I do remember that when I bought it, it was a huge "I can't believe it's merlot" monster.
20221201_214231.jpg

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
1670456707865.png
1670455961072.jpeg
This is a nice Nerello Mascalese from a young vineyard est. 2007 North side of Mt. Etna - vines for this wine were planted 2008. Light in color. Tart cherries, and a hint of cassis on the palette. Pleasent finish that lingers. Soft tannins. Paired well with my steak topped with shitake mushrooms sautéed with onions, and butternut squash. I'd buy this again.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
View attachment 185272
View attachment 185270
This is a nice Nerello Mascalese from a young vineyard est. 2007 North side of Mt. Etna - vines for this wine were planted 2008. Light in color. Tart cherries, and a hint of cassis on the palette. Pleasent finish that lingers. Soft tannins. Paired well with my steak topped with shitake mushrooms sautéed with onions, and butternut squash. I'd buy this again.
Is that a really small butternut or a really big (Polish) plate?

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Is that a really small butternut or a really big (Polish) plate?
Small butternut. Using up the runts from the garden. The bigger ones are cured for storage-hopefully. Good catch on the Polish plate-my wife's heritage.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Such a great producer.

Edit: @cantunamunch if you're a Beaujolais lover and can find a bottle from Daniel Bouland, it's a must buy.
totally agree

Jacques Charlet Vauxonne is a Beaujolais I've really enjoyed lately. La Vauxonne has the reputation of producing some of the darkest, deepest Beaujolais. Generally I like Beaujolais for its grace and light touch, but the Vauxonne is both interesting, and really good.

Uncle-A

Skier
totally agree

Jacques Charlet Vauxonne is a Beaujolais I've really enjoyed lately. La Vauxonne has the reputation of producing some of the darkest, deepest Beaujolais. Generally I like Beaujolais for its grace and light touch, but the Vauxonne is both interesting, and really good.
A nice Beaujolais is something I would drink with my Thanksgiving dinner, seemed to go well with the turkey. I am not sure it really is a good pairing for turkey but my guests didn’t complain.

Sponsor