• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mostly wine stuff

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
And now for something COMPLETELY different.

I had a glass of this at a restaurant and liked it. Now trying at home. Can't decide if I like the iodine quality, but regardless there's a lot of there there. What well known wine is it like? Not sure.

PXL_20230528_001337662.MP-01.jpeg

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
And at the same restaurant I had a really nice aglianico. What an underrated grape that is! This is the winery's "entry level" wine to boot.
Screenshot_20230527-202858.png

Last edited:
TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
What does iodine taste like?
Well, I didn't actually say "taste," did I?

In any case the Venn diagram representing taste vs. smell is nearly one circle superimposed on the other.

Meanwhile I've discovered that the primary flavor analog for this wine is apple skin. Common for a white. Kind of unusual for a red. Hm.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
And at the same restaurant I had a really nice aglianico. What an underrated grape that is! This is the winery's "entry level" wine to boot.

Harh. I totally associate Aglianico with ...Disney. Because the people who went to Disney wine week couldn't stop talking about it - esp. North African labels.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The real test of a wine is whether it blossoms surprisingly as you go. Nebbiolo is a grape that seems to do this often. Obviously wines from other grapes do it too . But what they don't generally do is actually blossom. This whole "rose petal" thing is for real. Suddenly out of a bunch of slightly frowny brown medicinal or earthy qualities rises this sweet succulent perfumy lick that you'd hoped was there but had just about given up on.

Last edited:
TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The real test of a wine is whether it blossoms surprisingly as you go. Nebbiolo is a grape that seems to do this often. Obviously wines from other grapes do it too . But what they don't generally do is actually blossom. This whole "rose petal" thing is for real. Suddenly out of a bunch of slightly frowny brown medicinal or earthy qualities rises this sweet succulent perfumy lick that you'd hoped was there but had just about given up on.
And it goes with seafood. Sometimes.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Been going through kind of a bad patch this week wrt wine. Opened several bottles that didn't speak to me, including one that was amazingly and unhappily evocative of disused bureau drawers.

With this background in mind, I am so so happy with this wine - a single vineyard Macon. It's my second bottle. The first one, opened six months ago, I liked, but I didn't pay enough attention, or else it's just gotten better since then. Never have I had a wine that smells so directly and unmistakably like the sea. I've had loads of wines grown on (very) old oyster shells. But never anything as specifically bivalve. Plus the lemon butter sauce. Just beautiful.

PXL_20230610_001001372.MP-01.jpeg

Sponsor