• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Motorcycle Lovers Thread

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
New V-Strom 800 released.

With a parallel twin engine?!

Sacrilege, or time marches on?!

I suspect it's a matter of manufacturing efficiency and ever-tightening emissions standards.
A parallel twin for a "V"-Strom?? Thats almost as bad as a paralell twin for a CB750.:nono:

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
New V-Strom 800 released.

With a parallel twin engine?!

Sacrilege, or time marches on?!

I suspect it's a matter of manufacturing efficiency and ever-tightening emissions standards.

For me it is pure sacrilege! The 90 degree V twin has always been such a lovely engine. Perfect primary balance, very nice progressive power spread. It works well on dirt roads and on tarmac. I've 'sold' at least a half dozen SV650's over the years to folks looking for a good solid all around street bike, and they all loved those bikes. 2023 is it for them. I was thinking of actually getting one of the last year of production SV's until my local dealer told me that he doesn't think he'll be getting any. What???

As for the 'replacement' 800 vertical twin. Meh. I couldn't be less interested in a Suzuki in that configuration. Scott is exactly right in saying that it is simply a much cheaper to build platform that is 'nothing special' at all. Besides, I have a Honda CB500xRR that has already worked that equation all out.

I for one will be sad to see this passing of a truly great moto that had a very long production run. They choose to be just like all the rest now to 'stay competitive in the market'. Mores the pity.

Last edited:

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
A parallel twin for a "V"-Strom?? Thats almost as bad as a paralell twin for a CB750.:nono:
See I think that's entirely different. Four to two is a big deal. V twin to parallel twin, I dont think that's as big a stretch. The parallel twin has to be the most characterless engine going...
Despite it apparent advantages..

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The parallel twin has to be the most characterless engine going...

Have you ridden a zero, or any electric motorcycle?!

Only half kidding......;)

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Have you ridden a zero, or any electric motorcycle?!

Only half kidding......;)
@Tom K. My riding buddy brought his Alta Redshift MXR to a local NETRA Hare Scramble. As near as we could discern, this was the FIRST time an EV Moto was ridden in one of their events with all real bikes...
The start was funny as hell (dead engine start by rows) and the reaction from some of the spectators was interesting too. Here's the first lap if anyone is interested.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tom K. My riding buddy brought his Alta Redshift MXR to a local NETRA Hare Scramble. As near as we could discern, this was the FIRST time an EV Moto was ridden in one of their events with all real bikes...
The start was funny as hell (dead engine start by rows) and the reaction from some of the spectators was interesting too. Here's the first lap if anyone is interested.

Love it, though that sound does not, shall we say, stir the soul of an old school dirt bike racer.

The video sure made me miss hare scrambles. Growing up back in MN, we'd have a few every fall after the moto season. The best one was down in Zumbro Falls, where the course included a lap of what is now the Millville National MX Track, then about 5 miles through the surrounding woods.

I'm not a big video, so after awhile, I put yours on 2x speed and it reminded me of the speed I used to believe I rode through the woods! ;)

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
A follow up to the electric moto video. So the races are 90 minutes plus a lap. The Alta did two laps and a 'bit' before the cluster started blinking the warning that 'you'll soon be pushing' the bike out of the woods. So since this course was rather long (7+ miles) he bailed before he would have headed to the back end of the loop. Riding in 'A Super Senior' (that's 50+ years old and the only one after that is Masters @58+) He was doing well until 'it's electric' and the major issue reared its head. So he got a little over an hour and no more. Which is fine for moto's but certainly NOT there yet for many of the off road racing requirements. Still it was a fun experiment.

I'll go mix some fresh 2-stroke juice and go for a proper ride! Where the sounds and smell alone are worth the price of admission!

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
See I think that's entirely different. Four to two is a big deal. V twin to parallel twin, I dont think that's as big a stretch. The parallel twin has to be the most characterless engine going...
Despite it apparent advantages..
I said almost. :ogbiggrin:
Major changes:
0, 60, 90, 180 degrees are NOT the same
8, 6, 4, 3, 2,1 cylinders are NOT the same at al (l have not met a 5 cylinder motorcycle).
And while we are at it, cross-plane and flat plane are not the same either.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll go mix some fresh 2-stroke juice and go for a proper ride! Where the sounds and smell alone are worth the price of admission!

I love the smell of napalm Bel-Ray in the morning!

Woodsrider427

Getting on the lift
Skier
I love the smell of napalm Bel-Ray in the morning!
Maxima Castor 927 was always the best smelling premix, especially when mixed with race gas. I sure miss the days of a full gate of two strokes, the sound and smell was awesome.

That video sure makes me miss racing Harescrambles, so much fun. That Alta was impressive.

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
MMMMM, Golden Spectro and Av Gas......

bul3 copy.jpg

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^ Yep. Finished up the front suspension maintenance, and did the oil, filters, and chain today.

Weather forecast says tomorrow might be nice enough for a ride tomorrow tho. Upper mountains aren’t open here yet.

B6501F4D-0C36-4225-82FE-74A2930896D3.jpeg

Last edited:

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
Cut my ski day short, temp got up over 50°.
PXL_20221222_214751327.jpg
You can see the runs at Bear Mountain on the ridge straight above my saddle.

rickg

Out on the slopes
Skier
Love motorcycling almost as much as skiing! I was already 40 by the time I bought my first bike and got my license. I have gone through about a dozen bikes and over 200,000 miles to date, and like skis, I keep a quiver!

Over the years I have noticed the similarities between skiing and motorcycling. No wonder I got hooked fast!

My current bike quiver is:
2020 BMW R1250RT for longer distance travel. BMW's have been my main brand for over 20 years!
2022 Moto Guzzi V85tt for weekend trips, day rides and forest roads.
2020 Vespa GTS 300HPE for kicks and giggles!

1672092302494.png

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Over the years I have noticed the similarities between skiing and motorcycling. No wonder I got hooked fast!

2020 BMW R1250RT for longer distance travel. BMW's have been my main brand for over 20 years!

BMW has been my main brand (for the road) for 45 years!

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
2022 Moto Guzzi V85tt for weekend trips, day rides and forest roads.
2020 Vespa GTS 300HPE for kicks and giggles!

Given that you're a quiver guy, I'm assuming there is a new V100 on order?! :ogbiggrin:

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January