• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Motorcycle Lovers Thread

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Any modern day sport bike is no joke. There's a lot against you..target fixation..traffic..lack of time and space..bad road surfaces.. Rarely have do-overs...

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Been through this someplace else here I think, My mom wouldn't let me get a mini bike or 125 when most of my other friends had them. Best I could do then was get one of these and abuse it every day. Friend's dad was a pipe fitter and great welder. He fixed them as fast as we could break them..

1632599126592.png

Fast forward to January of 2020. Son started working part time fast food job 5 miles away. Rather than buying another car I bought this.. 49cc scooter designed fir light off road use along regular city street cruising. Kid rode it through the pandemic when no other car was available. Sometimes I'd take the car there when I was done working so he could drive home.. especially if the weather looked questionable. It worked out well as an extra vehicle not always needed every day. He saved his money and we ended up buying two more cars. He bought our 2010 Sentra and took it to Oklahoma for college. Now I have the Roughhouse all to myself WOOT WOOT. It's destricted and will do 45 with my fat ass on it. Weather permitting, I take it for everything within 5-10 miles of home unless I know I'll need to haul something bigger than the box on the back.

1632599740055.png

1632599993912.png

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Any modern day sport bike is no joke. There's a lot against you..target fixation..traffic..lack of time and space..bad road surfaces.. Rarely have do-overs...
Hold on to your whip!

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Hold on to your whip!
LOL, that's gonna hurt.
People shouldn't be let loose on those things without some training. You just can't give some bikes full throttle at certain speeds in certain gears, even if you're crawling under the paint on the tank. Learned that before I even got my hands on the grips (Brother treated me to a wheelie accelerating in third as a passenger - being a nice guy, he let off when he noticed my feet going by his ears).

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I'll confess..we had a bump here we called the Humber Hump..expansion joint that was poorly aligned on one of our highways. So I was on the RZ 500..which has a bit of a power band...and I was being smart guy and whacked it open on the joint to bring the front up. Trying to be wheelie hero..well it got up a bit high...I missed the rear brake and left off abruptly..and no engine braking so it was going over I thought..so I started standing up to push on the front and it suddenly started going down and dang if that gas tank didn't have two dents in it where my boys collided with it! :geek::geek: I mean it's funny now after the swelling has gone down.... :roflmao:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'll confess..we had a bump here we called the Humber Hump..expansion joint that was poorly aligned on one of our highways. So I was on the RZ 500..which has a bit of a power band...and I was being smart guy and whacked it open on the joint to bring the front up. Trying to be wheelie hero..well it got up a bit high...I missed the rear brake and left off abruptly..and no engine braking so it was going over I thought..so I started standing up to push on the front and it suddenly started going down and dang if that gas tank didn't have two dents in it where my boys collided with it! :geek::geek: I mean it's funny now after the swelling has gone down.... :roflmao:
So you know Nicki Manaj's cousin??

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Trying to be wheelie hero..well it got up a bit high...I missed the rear brake and left off abruptly..

I believe somebody, somewhere mentioned that one should always cover the rear brake?!

The Tenere 700 continues to please, but we're having a windshield standoff at the moment.

Stocker might as well be called a Turbulence Inducer.

None at all is great, but exhausting on longer rides, at highway speeds.

Tried a shorty sport screen, still no bueno.

I really don't want to go "big" but I'm starting to wonder.

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
I believe somebody, somewhere mentioned that one should always cover the rear brake?!

The Tenere 700 continues to please, but we're having a windshield standoff at the moment.

Stocker might as well be called a Turbulence Inducer.

None at all is great, but exhausting on longer rides, at highway speeds.

Tried a shorty sport screen, still no bueno.

I really don't want to go "big" but I'm starting to wonder.

I have a Givi Airflow on my V-Strom. It manages air better than the batwing on my Glide. I set it about an inch below sightline so I am looking above it, not through it. I get 0 buffeting on interstate.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a Givi Airflow on my V-Strom. It manages air better than the batwing on my Glide. I set it about an inch below sightline so I am looking above it, not through it. I get 0 buffeting on interstate.

Thanks! No Airflow for the T7, so I'm going to try a cheapo clip on that a friend recommended. I just put one in my cart.

Last edited:

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Started Riding when I was 15. I think a Yamaha 50. Then bought a 1966 Honda 305 Scrambler followed by a '69 Kawasaki 500 Mach III.

Sold that and didn't ride for for probably 40 years. Bought a new 2009 BMW R1200RT in 2009 and still own it! Every gizmo & gadget known to man on it! Fantastic machine!
20210426_181318.jpg

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Me, chasing the local pro, on a 1980 (or 79?) KX 420. The last of the fire-breathing 2-stroke open bikes without water cooling, disk brakes or power valves. A beast!

The order in this pic was reversed on the last lap -- the only one that matters. Just sayin! :ogbiggrin:

Chase.jpg

Sponsor