• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Motorcycle Lovers Thread

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Well the 400xcw is now in winter mode. 3-4 inches of snow should get me started!

KTM400 Stud.JPG

Friction studded front

KTM400 Front Friction Spike.JPG

Grip Studded rear

KTM400 Rear Grip Stud.JPG

And of course, HEATED GRIPS!!!

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Riding a bike with studs or spikes on a frozen lake is major fun.
It's the most consistent and strong grip I have ever experienced.

I'm a woods rider. The lakes down here are rarely frozen thick enough most years. Plus the woods are warmer!

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Apparently you aren't a fan of flat track racing.
This Sportster was a full tracker like the one in the pic with 2" ice spikes screwed into bare rims Euro style.
The traction was just crazy.
Flat track sportster

Flat track racing. Who remembers the 1971 film "On Any Sunday" by Bruce Brown?

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Apparently you aren't a fan of flat track racing.
This Sportster was a full tracker like the one in the pic with 2" ice spikes screwed into bare rims Euro style.
The traction was just crazy.
Flat track sportster
No, I'm not a fan of HD. The XR750 was far from a 'sportster'. And the rules were massaged over the years to keep those bike competitive. Every time a 'new' manufacturer started to win things were 'contained' to keep HD in the race.

Flat track has produced many of the very best roadracers thoughout the years. I like TT, Short track and especially the MILE.
It's HD I have a problem with.

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
I was at a fair ground oval track one day playing around with my Triumph TT Special when Black Bart Markel showed up to do some testing.
He passed me going at least twice as fast as I could go and flipped me the bird as he did it.
Whatta Guy!
Now I'm liking the King of the Baggers races.
It ain't MotoGP but it's fun.
46 Forever!
Bagger mania

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
I was at a fair ground oval track one day playing around with my Triumph TT Special when Black Bart Markel showed up to do some testing.
He passed me going at least twice as fast as I could go and flipped me the bird as he did it.
Whatta Guy!
Now I'm liking the King of the Baggers races.
It ain't MotoGP but it's fun.
46 Forever!
Bagger mania
Yeah, I can't watch that... :doh:

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
No, I'm not a fan of HD. The XR750 was far from a 'sportster'. And the rules were massaged over the years to keep those bike competitive. Every time a 'new' manufacturer started to win things were 'contained' to keep HD in the race.

Do you recall the time Kenny Roberts turned up with a Yamaha TZ750 2 stroke road racing engine in a flat track frame? Proceeded to blow away everybody and won the race. 1975.

AMA stepped in and banned that type of bike for the very reason you mention. Read some-where that Roberts was really happy with that decision saying the Yamaha thing was just plain scary.

Here's a middle aged Roberts doing a demo on it in 2009.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
YES! Kenny said it would just light up the rear wheel. He got a good line out in the cushion on the last lap and it hooked up and launched him passed the competition for the win. He was quoted as saying "They don't pay me enough to ride that thing!"

Last edited:

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
When he rode the bike years later for the 'demonstration' laps at the Mile, Kel Carruthers purposely had it jetted about 3 sizes fat (to tame it down a bit) so Kenny would have an easier time on the monster. Val and some of the other pros that were in attendence had the biggest grins on their faces watching to king lap that bike around the mile. I think Kenny was honestly glad he survived it and the 'challenge ' was over!