• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Motorcycle Lovers Thread

OldJeep

Getting off the lift
Skier
I find that my downhill ski gear is the best cold weather stuff I can get. Some UA 4.0 base layers, ski socks and my ski racing gloves do pretty well. If it gets really cold I'll wear my ski jacket and take my chances with the lack of armor for short errand runs. Taking my last long trip of the year starting next friday and will have the luggage packed full of layers since the weather can be pretty unpredictable and swing 30 degrees in the 500 miles I'll be getting from home.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What are the preferred riding rules in winter for folks here? I'm not comfortable going out when it's below freezing and there is a possibility of a frozen puddle here or there. Do you folks ride 2 wheelers in anything remotely like winter conditions?

No cold weather MC riding for me, at least not on pavement.

But I'll ride my fat bike on snow or dirt at pretty much any temperature.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
My first was a 1978 Yamaha SR500. I bought it NOS in 1982 for under $1000. I remember wearing my waiter uniform to go into the bank and ask for a loan. I thought it would make me seem hard working. I was so happy to give up my bus pass! It was simple to work on and simple to ride. One cylinder, kick start only, etc. My pal bought a Honda Ascot 500 that had almost identical performance. We both worked evenings so we’d meet for coffee in the morning and just race around town all day.

I started riding out of town more and I saved some money and bought a 1977 BMW R100RS that has been modified and hot rodded by its first owner. Great bike that took me on lots of adventures. I sold it after a long ride from Ashland to Portland one cold rainy night.

No bikes for 25 years.

Now I have a 1981 Yamaha xt 500 and a 1973 Norton 850 Commando resto-mod that is fun to ride but is mostly an art piece now. I never was able to get comfortable riding in the big SUV / Cell phone era. I tried but too many close calls so I think I’m done.

E5F479BF-DEDA-4CFD-A827-06A652FB5B75.jpeg

Last edited:

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@silverback that Norton is stunning!

Maybe a decade ago, I did some group road bike riding with a young engineer working on a "new" Norton in Portland OR. It looked like a beautiful concept, but apparently never quite panned out. Not sure what happened there.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
Thanks. He rebuilt about 50 old ones including mine then bought the Norton name and designed the new ones but lost the company in the end.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider

No bikes for 25 years.

Now I have a 1981 Yamaha xt 500 and a 1973 Norton 850 Commando resto-mod that is fun to ride but is mostly an art piece now. I never was able to get comfortable riding in the big SUV / Cell phone era. I tried but too many close calls so I think I’m done.

View attachment 144964
Love the resto-mod 850 Nortons. There was also a guy in Colorado doings some I believe.
She is way to nice to just sit around and look pretty! Better she does that after some days and miles under her resting!!!
She'd be nice in my garage between the LeMans and the RS....

77 MG LeMans Mk 1.jpg

Last edited:

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
My first was a 1978 Yamaha SR500. I bought it NOS in 1982 for under $1000. I remember wearing my waiter uniform to go into the bank and ask for a loan. I thought it would make me seem hard working. I was so happy to give up my bus pass! It was simple to work on and simple to ride. One cylinder, kick start only, etc. My pal bought a Honda Ascot 500 that had almost identical performance. We both worked evenings so we’d meet for coffee in the morning and just race around town all day.

I started riding out of town more and I saved some money and bought a 1977 BMW R100RS that has been modified and hot rodded by its first owner. Great bike that took me on lots of adventures. I sold it after a long ride from Ashland to Portland one cold rainy night.

No bikes for 25 years.

View attachment 144964

Heck of a sunroom ornament. :thumb:

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)

No bikes for 25 years.

View attachment 144964
Worthy of a remake

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
I hope you all enjoy this german gals Yamaha Tenere 700 US journey. This vid is on Tail of the Dragon famous bike ride. She rode around the world before this.

This is Itchyboots, another world wide bike rider from Himailian to CRF 250. She is riding Kalahari desert rally for fun and she is in first place.

Hope you enjoy these vids. These girls are awesome.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We've got some cold, damp weather coming so I put the new Tenere 700 into storage yesterday evening.

Bittersweet. It feels like I am going to love it, and I have a lot of terrain that I want to explore with it in my new backyard, but damn, the thing finally showed up at a busy time in September, after a 6 month wait, and I didn't get to ride it nearly enough this fall.

Next year!

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
We've got some cold, damp weather coming so I put the new Tenere 700 into storage yesterday evening.

Bittersweet. It feels like I am going to love it, and I have a lot of terrain that I want to explore with it in my new backyard, but damn, the thing finally showed up at a busy time in September, after a 6 month wait, and I didn't get to ride it nearly enough this fall.

Next year!

It's not even November yet! Just how far north are you?!

I've had great rides in Dec. and even Jan. from time to time. Dry roads and 40+ degrees F and I'm out there.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
I hope you all enjoy this german gals Yamaha Tenere 700 US journey. This vid is on Tail of the Dragon famous bike ride. She rode around the world before this.

This is Itchyboots, another world wide bike rider from Himailian to CRF 250. She is riding Kalahari desert rally for fun and she is in first place.

Hope you enjoy these vids. These girls are awesome.
Itchy isn't in the Rally race per say. She is basically on an ADV ride class that happens as part of the real rally race.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid