• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Motorcycle Lovers Thread

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
You're carrying tires for the road trip home?
I've always found less is more no matter if hiking, biking or moto tripping. Couldn't you ship them to a place at the end of the fun and deal with it from there?
What pressures are you riding off road? If you are carrying a pump of some kind you will find traction/comfort gains with lower pressures. On my Honda CB500x RRL3 for mixed terrain I go down to about 28psi and she works well.

I have not started the trip yet...the new tires arrived to my house and I packed them on the bike to drive across town for mounting and balancing. The picture is of my new tires mounted and old tires hauled back home and stashed in garage. I leave on bike trip in a week or so.

I do have a 12volt pump and plan to lower pressure for mixed terrain....and also have a plug kit for flats.

I'll try 28 and go from there. CB500 RRL3...very nice bike :thumb:

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Here she is @Snowfan
2013 Honda CB500xRRL3
CB500RR3a.gif

Last edited:

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Service Honda CR500?! Astounding bikes!
I really don't know much about it other than it is something special. I remember the day he got it. He had i dropped at our jobsite so we could help him get it off the 18 wheeler and into his pickup. He was like a kid at Christmas. He hasn't ridden it much lately because none of the local tracks are big enough for it. Last time he took it out he said he felt like he was idling around the track, did a couple of laps then switched to the 250.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have been fighting the "Buffeting Blues" on my almost-new Tenere 700. The stock windshield is very efficient at inducing buffeting. ;)

I bought a shorter Powerbronze Sport Screen and that helped, but only a bit.

I bought a cheap, clip on, laminar flow deflector and that was so close -- if I were 3 inches shorter it would be perfect. Also, it was built like crap.

So.....I took the plunge and ordered a MadStad windshield. They have a stellar rep, but I'm wondering if any Ski Talkers have firsthand experience with the brand?

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
I have been fighting the "Buffeting Blues" on my almost-new Tenere 700. The stock windshield is very efficient at inducing buffeting. ;)

I bought a cheap, clip on, laminar flow deflector and that was so close -- if I were 3 inches shorter it would be perfect. Also, it was built like crap.

So.....I took the plunge and ordered a MadStad windshield. They have a stellar rep, but I'm wondering if any Ski Talkers have firsthand experience with the brand?
I have one on my VStrom 650 but it came with it so I don't have any comparisons but I like it.

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier

I have a Givi Airflow on my 20 VStrom 650ADV and it works great with about 4" up and down adjust ability while riding and ez to move. If MadStad does not go well return and try Givi.

I have one on my VStrom 650 but it came with it so I don't have any comparisons but I like it.

:) Another 650 Stromtrooper. Cool.

IMG20220630215349.jpg

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
@Snowfan , when are you leave on the planned BIG trip???

Schedule has been busy and might have to trim out Wyoming Jellystone and just Amarillo to Taos then Durango to Ouray and hit giant dirt passes. Trying to leave in 2 weeks still. THANK YOU for checking. Just moved bars up and closer 1 inch. Felt like "reaching" so brought them closer.
IMG20220720150901.jpg

Trip shortened to Ski hill visits. Amarillo to Sipapu, Taos, Wolf Creek, Purgatory, Silverton, Telluride. If time allows I will try to hit Breck neighborhood.

Capture.JPG555.JPG

Planning to keep helmet on and rent best DH mountainbike at Taos. They have a great MB setup this year off chair 4 and I have a pass for free rides.

Last edited:

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
That should also improve your standing position which can be very useful on more 'interesting' dirt sections. The CO passes can be great fun and you're going to be there the right time of year to ride them. I've done a number of them over the years. Should be FUN :)

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
My trip is slightly modified....delayed a bunch. Possible tour in Moab Aug 17+ with well known Tuber. If it does not work out I'll still have fun. Leaving on my birthday August 14. 61 years young and 100% Go For It. Still doing Colorado Passes and Black Bear has been deleted due to ground clearance issue. Wrong ski for hill. :)
Screenshot 2022-08-03 134105.png

Enjoy these videos, TRUE GEMs. Itchy boots chasing Ed C90 Adventures at Moab with recent foot injury and Ryan F9 Pro teaching.

Last edited:

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
LOL... 3:50 above I worked as a Financial Analyst for MOL Mitsui O.S.K. Shipping Container Lines at Y2K...we lost nothing over goofy y2k scare. Just a fun laugh.

Whenever I see a container I enjoy memory of old job. Sorry for any distraction.
40ft_shipping_container_-_mol_3d_model_3ds_fbx_c4d_lwo_lw_lws_obj_11379f5c-fba9-4b0e-a809-4699...jpg

Bike is ready with new tires, hammock, tent with waterproof footprint, spikes, tank bag with water , bug spray, bear spray :) , tools and GoPro 10 helmet mount....what am I forgetting?

Last edited:

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
LOL... 3:50 above I worked as a Financial Analyst for MOL Mitsui O.S.K. Shipping Container Lines at Y2K...we lost nothing over goofy y2k scare. Just a fun laugh.

Whenever I see a container I enjoy memory of old job. Sorry for any distraction.
View attachment 174560
Bike is ready with new tires, hammock, tent with waterproof footprint, spikes, tank bag with water , bug spray, bear spray :) , tools and GoPro 10 helmet mount....what am I forgetting?
Whiskey

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
My trip is delayed due to minor surgery on R leg issue. Complications.

First ride on bike fully packed. Prep for trip to AA ballgame last night. :) Leg hurts and delayed.

Got 3 foul balls and gave 2 away. It is my 3rd 3 ball game. LOL. Going to doctor Friday (today weds) and hope get going in a week or two. Might have to swap 50 degree bag to 20 degree bag. Camping every night stealth in towns or whatever.

IMG20220809215611.jpg

IMG20220809200820.jpg

IMG20220809183341.jpg

Old geezer having FUN:)

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
Itchty riding my same route. I have 2020 Suzi 650 V Twin water cooled ADV model with new dirt tires and checking out vid same as you. She is roughly 60 days previous to today.

Last edited:

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
Thanks Bill, I will get a bigger kickstand foot for my trip. You are correct.

My current list is....

Corkscrew
Engineer
Red Mountain
Hurricane
California
Cinnamon
Independance
Cumberland
Cottonwood
Pitkin
Hagerman