• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Motorcycle Lovers Thread

resovia

Booting up
Skier
1679784823990.png

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
^^^Steampunk?
I'm seriously wondering if short sleeves and short pants are really a huge mistake on hot summer rides? I know it could end badly. also rocks and bugs sting. But, I see tons of folks in t-shirts.. none in shorts. Assuming you don't have a hot tail pipe/exhaust near your leg, why is one more risky than the other... ??

OldJeep

Getting off the lift
Skier
Neither one if you don't crash;)

Warming up here, so I have had the fz1 out a few times. Also bought a new toy that I need to fly south for in a few weeks so I can ride it back.

Attachments

• IMG_20230326_154549_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230326_154549_HDR.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20230326_084934_01.jpg
    IMG_20230326_084934_01.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 11

RiderRay

Getting off the lift
Skier
^^^Steampunk?
I'm seriously wondering if short sleeves and short pants are really a huge mistake on hot summer rides? I know it could end badly. also rocks and bugs sting. But, I see tons of folks in t-shirts.. none in shorts. Assuming you don't have a hot tail pipe/exhaust near your leg, why is one more risky than the other... ??
Neither is a good idea. First time you see or experience severe road rash, sweat from ATGATT doesn't seem so bad.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
^^^Steampunk?
Jeans and long johns aren't enough. You should at least get some textile or mesh gear. BTW if you have a leather jacket and go for a slide, you will want to replace it anyway (embarassing scuff marks testifying to your ineptitude), so there's not much economy in getting the more expensive leather gear. However, a good leather jacket can make the difference between turning an expensive thick leather jacket into a holey suede jacket and leaving half your back on the road in a really long slide.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Jeans and long johns aren't enough. You should at least get some textile or mesh gear. BTW if you have a leather jacket and go for a slide, you will want to replace it anyway (embarassing scuff marks testifying to your ineptitude), so there's not much economy in getting the more expensive leather gear. However, a good leather jacket can make the difference between turning an expensive thick leather jacket into a holey suede jacket and leaving half your back on the road in a really long slide.
I wear my skateboarding knee and elbow pads currently riding during shorts and t-shirt 90 degree plus weather. Just wondering if anyone else takes more risk. See tons of people in t-shirts out there.

I guess I should clarify, my ride tops out at 45 mph so I'm not on any roads I wouldn't ride a bicycle down, no highways. So do I really need anything more than what bicycle folks wear? :huh:

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I dunno. I wore jeans and a t-shirt for years. Later on I wore jacket and jeans and gloves. But I never fell down so... It's a risk calculation. I always said gear won't change your survival odds that much. It will certainly affect your discomfort level... Not including helmets...

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I dunno. I wore jeans and a t-shirt for years. Later on I wore jacket and jeans and gloves. But I never fell down so... It's a risk calculation. I always said gear won't change your survival odds that much. It will certainly affect your discomfort level... Not including helmets...
What do you wear riding your bike down the same roads?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Yeah helmet shorts and t-shirt. Again, discomfort vs survivability..
I know. I do this waffle dance every spring/early summer. I guess I'm still going faster on average than people peddling.. and not burning a bunch of carbs sweating bullets even without the sleeves and long pants. I just don't feel right buzzing down the road at 40 mmh with my knees and elbows exposed. I'll probably stick with the skateboard pads as a compromise between full leathers and what I'd wear on a bicycle.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
And I get the ATGATT folks..some of them have fallen..or seen bad accidents. I really get it. But man, you're riding a motorcycle..there is some freedom in there..nothing like doing a stand-up wheelie on the highway in a t-shirt! :) If I had slid down the road a buck-ten in a t-shirt, I may have a different opinion. However.. I rode into work one day in a short-sleeve button-up shirt, khakis, casual shoes. It was 90F, sunny and humid. I'm sitting in stop and go traffic wedged in between a bunch of transport trucks just blowing hot air out from their engine compartments. Sweat dribbling down my back... I get to work and someone says "wow it must be great riding a bike on days like this!" And I says, "No..it's really not..imagine sitting in front of a giant hair dryer for 45 mins...." So yeah.. ATGATT..or take the air conditioned car maybe..

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Hairdryer for sure. Above 90F wind chill becomes wind burn.

DesmoDog

Getting off the lift
Skier
One more anecdote for the hot weather riders - early in my riding career I had a short stretch to do and left my jacket off. Rode in just a t-shirt because it was kind of hot (below 90) and very sunny.

Right after that I had a longer ride home so put the jacket back on. Wouldn't you know it, the jacket was cooler than riding in just the t-shirt. It kept the sun off of me and had air flow under it. One catch in that story is, that's before the days I had back protectors in all my gear - that breeze down my back doesn't happen anymore.

Granted this doesn't work in traffic when you aren't moving, but that's not an issue for me since I detest riding in traffic on any day, even more so on hot days. To the point I won't do it. If it's 90 degrees and I need to be somewhere across town I'll take my Jeep.

I'm an ATGATT fan, though I will admit to riding in jeans on occassion these days. At one point in my life it was full racing gear all the time - I made the hour+ commute to work in race leathers. I've softened since then but not much. I see guys riding down the interstate in a t-shirt and Oakleys and it looks like a miserable experience to me. Add a little rain for the full experience. Dang, I recall riding home in a heavy-ish rain one day and the drops stung when they hit my arms, even through the jacket! Also recall a few times when something would hit my helmet and it sounded like a gun going off. Ball cap, Oakleys and a safety squint? No thanks, I'll stick with my full face Shoei thankyouverymuch.

On an almost related tanget - I've owned a lot of convertibles over the years. I want to meet that guy who thought that black vinyl interiors in non-airconditioned convertibles was a good idea. And slap him.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
One more anecdote for the hot weather riders - early in my riding career I had a short stretch to do and left my jacket off. Rode in just a t-shirt because it was kind of hot (below 90) and very sunny.

Right after that I had a longer ride home so put the jacket back on. Wouldn't you know it, the jacket was cooler than riding in just the t-shirt. It kept the sun off of me and had air flow under it. One catch in that story is, that's before the days I had back protectors in all my gear - that breeze down my back doesn't happen anymore.

Granted this doesn't work in traffic when you aren't moving, but that's not an issue for me since I detest riding in traffic on any day, even more so on hot days. To the point I won't do it. If it's 90 degrees and I need to be somewhere across town I'll take my Jeep.

I'm an ATGATT fan, though I will admit to riding in jeans on occassion these days. At one point in my life it was full racing gear all the time - I made the hour+ commute to work in race leathers. I've softened since then but not much. I see guys riding down the interstate in a t-shirt and Oakleys and it looks like a miserable experience to me. Add a little rain for the full experience. Dang, I recall riding home in a heavy-ish rain one day and the drops stung when they hit my arms, even through the jacket! Also recall a few times when something would hit my helmet and it sounded like a gun going off. Ball cap, Oakleys and a safety squint? No thanks, I'll stick with my full face Shoei thankyouverymuch.

On an almost related tanget - I've owned a lot of convertibles over the years. I want to meet that guy who thought that black vinyl interiors in non-airconditioned convertibles was a good idea. And slap him.
Spring and fall are top down weather for me. The Miata isn't going out for a drive if it's much over 80.
As for HOT/humid weather and motos, well I just say NO! Perf leather is great on warmer days but if it's not fun why bother???

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Spring and fall are top down weather for me. The Miata isn't going out for a drive if it's much over 80.
As for HOT/humid weather and motos, well I just say NO! Perf leather is great on warmer days but if it's not fun why bother???
Top down in my convertible is only for slow driving, not highway driving. I'm sensitive to noise (even though I love the sound of the NPP exhaust revving high through the gears).
Riding without a full face shield on the helmet is something I would do my best to avoid.

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
I was unable to register a ride in the month of March due to copious amounts of snow. It's finally showing signs of Spring, temps are up, the Sun is out, and days are getting longer. Went out Saturday afternoon and it felt great. Our snowpack is going to take a while to melt so trails will be limited for some time.
PXL_20230402_005921367.jpg