• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mountain Biking 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joel

Having fun
Skier
For me, the recommended pressures are way off. I'm 190lbs ready to ride and only have 65psi in to get 30% sag. In my case it's both compression's I'm running almost wide open. The rebounds were not too far off. I adjusted those so the bike would not jump off the ground when I let go from being compressed.

Are you referring to rebound here, or?? I'd still like to fine tune my Fox 36 fork as it's a bit harsh even with all spacers removed and running it 10 lbs. below recommended for my weight (sag test indicates I could probably remove more.) The Grip2 stuff, etc. is out of my pay grade. @utskier just sets it up to factory specs and rides. He also does zero bootwork as far as canting or anything. Oh, to be that simple!

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Are you referring to rebound here, or?? I'd still like to fine tune my Fox 36 fork as it's a bit harsh even with all spacers removed and running it 10 lbs. below recommended for my weight (sag test indicates I could probably remove more.) The Grip2 stuff, etc. is out of my pay grade. @utskier just sets it up to factory specs and rides. He also does zero bootwork as far as canting or anything. Oh, to be that simple!

HSC = high speed compression
LSC = low speed compression

If you don’t have the grip2 it’s open/closed for compression.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
IMO, the 36 Grip2 damper is set up to almost pro levels of compression damping. It seems crazy, but I've ended up at just ONE click on both LSC and HSC, and I'm not small or slow (we don't have much in the way of drops, but lots of very rough, ground-level chunk).

Very happy with the fork now. Note that this has apparently been addressed in the 2021 MY 36s.

I generally use Fox forks with compression damping wide open always. Even the rear shocks IIRC. The extra damping is only really needed for big drops which I never do :roflmao:

I am about 195 lb with minimal gear.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
HSC = high speed compression
LSC = low speed compression

If you don’t have the grip2 it’s open/closed for compression.
Specs say Grip damper for the fork, 3 position damper for the shock.

Reactions: nay

Joel

Having fun
Skier
So I'm glad it's not just me that finds fox forks like to be really open.

To help with bigger hits without having to dial in more compression, a couple months ago I decided to try the MRP ramp control. I can say for me I like it. There is this drop off on my ride that I used as a test. Going off it with the MRP fully open, I have about 1/2" travel left. I tried the same drop with the MRP fully in and had about 2" of travel left. With the MRP fully in and riding over the usually chatter, I did not notice a lack of compliance. Some folks think the ramp control is gimmicky, for me, it seems to work as advertised.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think that’s right. Is it all in the air springs? If so, going to 160mm with MY 2021 air springs could solve 2 problems. Or is it the damper side?

I’m tempted to just put a Zeb on it, but I need to not be spendy and ffs part of buying this build was to get the high end 36.

It's all on the damper side, unless you're running an excessive number of volume reducers. OTOH, if you're running no VRs, you could add one and reduce your initial pressure.

The Zeb is reportedly a bit softer off the top, than the current Fox 36. Cheapest option for you might be to have the new VVC cartridge installed. I'm doing that in the off season. Really, it's not THAT much more money than a full rebuild, which Fox darn near throws in for free when swapping dampers.

Are you referring to rebound here, or?? I'd still like to fine tune my Fox 36 fork as it's a bit harsh even with all spacers removed and running it 10 lbs. below recommended for my weight (sag test indicates I could probably remove more.)

Compression damping, both high (HSC) and low (LSC). Just open them up at your weight. For rebound, most people run it too slow. Just leave the protective cap off for a ride or two and twiddle the rebound knob back and forth 4 clicks at a time to really illustrate how it impacts the ride.

Finally, FWIW, I run even further below Fox's recommendations on air pressure.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
It's all on the damper side, unless you're running an excessive number of volume reducers. OTOH, if you're running no VRs, you could add one and reduce your initial pressure.

The Zeb is reportedly a bit softer off the top, than the current Fox 36. Cheapest option for you might be to have the new VVC cartridge installed. I'm doing that in the off season. Really, it's not THAT much more money than a full rebuild, which Fox darn near throws in for free when swapping dampers.

Compression damping, both high (HSC) and low (LSC). Just open them up at your weight. For rebound, most people run it too slow. Just leave the protective cap off for a ride or two and twiddle the rebound knob back and forth 4 clicks at a time to really illustrate how it impacts the ride.

Finally, FWIW, I run even further below Fox's recommendations on air pressure.

Thanks for this. I haven’t messed around with the rebound settings from initial setup. Sigh. I know better given 20+ years in 4x4 suspension tuning that rebound is the master actor.

I backed off (slow) 3 clicks of the low speed and it made a huge difference. The woosh sound is gone, too. So those settings were obviously way off, and maybe never really set in the first place. A reason I like to do all of my work myself.

I’ve had in my head that I’d get everything dialed and then play with rebound if needed. With that kind of thinking I might join a flat earth group while I’m at it.

So you can get the new Grip2 compression VVC without replacing the entire damper, or have they upgraded the rebound VVC, too?

This was riding with my son before making the adjustments, guess we’re still having fun taking less than optimal lines on my part. He’s on the smoothest line. Aim for the lily pad.

69384A46-EDE0-40F7-A1D9-FD82C0C43281.jpeg
D89103C9-4296-42FC-8565-4E367A730B52.jpeg

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
This pretty little thing showed up. 600 lb/in to go with the cascade link.

D73D8AEC-A5D2-4651-9D54-46BD9618BF58.jpeg

Also my rebound dialing session. This trail is fun @ Mt Herman - this is an old burn scar and you get desert hardpack that is sun relentlessly sun bakeD and dry. The white ribbon is the flow down.

Keeps getting chunkier as erosion exposes more rock.
2E154E50-B5EE-463E-88E4-ACACE9EDDEE3.jpeg

28619B5E-B09D-44AC-B2E3-2E5CDC19F9C2.jpeg

Last edited:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Thanks for this. I haven’t messed around with the rebound settings from initial setup. Sigh. I know better given 20+ years in 4x4 suspension tuning that rebound is the master actor.

I backed off (slow) 3 clicks of the low speed and it made a huge difference. The woosh sound is gone, too. So those settings were obviously way off, and maybe never really set in the first place. A reason I like to do all of my work myself.

I’ve had in my head that I’d get everything dialed and then play with rebound if needed. With that kind of thinking I might join a flat earth group while I’m at it.

So you can get the new Grip2 compression VVC without replacing the entire damper, or have they upgraded the rebound VVC, too?

This was riding with my son before making the adjustments, guess we’re still having fun taking less than optimal lines on my part. He’s on the smoothest line. Aim for the lily pad.

View attachment 109587 View attachment 109588

You need/want a 170mm fork for that stuff :ogbiggrin:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I think you need the whole damper to get VVC. Great explanation on a Fox video featuring Jordi Lunn (sp).

Keeps getting chunkier as erosion exposes more rock.

Every year, the rocks and roots get taller!

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
You need/want a 170mm fork for that stuff :ogbiggrin:

I know. My son’s Transition Patrol is 170/165 and it’s a lot smoother as a plow bike. I’m going to start with extending to 160 since Specialized specs that as upper limit and I probably don’t want to void my frame warranty. If for some reason I decide to go nuts, then shock goes to 210x55 taking the rear to 167 with the Cascade link and fork goes to 170 with one of the new 38mm options. Bike goes from 150/150 to 170/167 and full enduro.

That would take my head angle to 63° with flip chip in high position :eek:.

I installed the new 600 in/lb SLS (super light steel) coil yesterday - this is what is spec’s for my weight with the Cascade link. It’s really not super light, there’s plenty written about durability issues with the SLS coils early on and I wonder if they didn’t beef them back up a bit. This is compared to the 600 in/lb standard coil. Not much savings for an extra $100 (I bought both because I initially couldn’t find the SLS and the standard is only $30). The 550 in/lb is 399g.

It’s a very different wind (fewer coils), and will perform differently than the standard coil. Way more support than the 550 it replaces just out on the driveway.

59E406C0-B695-4414-A4E8-DA4F1F1D19B0.jpeg
E0ED832D-9BA4-43B3-B965-5BC2761CC771.jpeg
6DAB2121-CFA6-459C-87CD-99E97C1EF782.jpeg
291E9CCA-1260-444C-88E0-33CF26B20737.jpeg

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My most recent ride was pretty wet. I was out of town all weekend and went for a quick ride when we got back, turns out it must have rained way more than I thought while I was gone. Bike needed a serious bath when I got home and the ride itself was slippy and wet. Bontrager XR3 tires are definitely not a wet weather type of tire, had a couple very entertaining slide outs but thankfully no full on crashes. I started wearing knee pads a couple weeks back and I think I'm going to fully commit and wear the elbow pads I have full time now too. The worst near crash happened during one of the climbing sections and it involved having to bail off the bike as it slipped out going up a steep rooty section that's tough even when dry.

Pretty much every turn or slight low section had a puddle or mud in it. Fall riding conditions for us in Alaska, got somewhere between 4-6 weeks before the Fat Bike gets dusted off and the snow starts to accumulate.
20200907_171501.jpg

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My most recent ride was pretty wet. I was out of town all weekend and went for a quick ride when we got back, turns out it must have rained way more than I thought while I was gone. Bike needed a serious bath when I got home and the ride itself was slippy and wet. Bontrager XR3 tires are definitely not a wet weather type of tire, had a couple very entertaining slide outs but thankfully no full on crashes. I started wearing knee pads a couple weeks back and I think I'm going to fully commit and wear the elbow pads I have full time now too. The worst near crash happened during one of the climbing sections and it involved having to bail off the bike as it slipped out going up a steep rooty section that's tough even when dry.

Pretty much every turn or slight low section had a puddle or mud in it. Fall riding conditions for us in Alaska, got somewhere between 4-6 weeks before the Fat Bike gets dusted off and the snow starts to accumulate.
View attachment 109711
I was going to suggest wet weather tires for the fall but the fat bike should take care of that.

Nice trail and birch trees

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
My friends are working their way through the CT in 2 and 3 day efforts due to work and knees. Yesterday they were going to finish Segment 8 (Copper to Cooper) after a departure on Saturday. I offered to stage their car from Copper to Cooper. Rather than take two vehicles requiring another shuttle driver to do the shuttle, I took my bike and rode the CT segment 'backwards' from the way most people would ride it.

strava996117016770713704.jpg

https://www.strava.com/activities/4027444130/embed/9437a51befabab83e75f7d109c7d8a9883747d15

Of course I started with a wrong turn right out of the trailhead and started south on Segment 9 until I realized it wasn't the railroad grade that I had anticipated. I back tracked and started out on Segment 8. The railroad bed was really pleasant and I had my mojo going until the trail ended in some swampy muck and I knew I must have missed a turn. So back again, fortunately on railroad grade. I found the missed turn and took it.

The first few miles were downhill and level until they weren't. Lovely single track.

IMG_20200907_103116002_HDR.jpg

The fall colors are beginning. Also the AQI was on its way to 185. The day before it didn't exceed 30. What a difference a day makes.

I met my friends at Camp Hale and gave them the key to their car.

IMG_20200907_105921062.jpg

Camp Hale

Then the trail started to climb.

IMG_20200907_112451141_HDR.jpg

This waterfall had a nice bridge to cross the stream and a nice vantage point for the photo.

IMG_20200907_112525261_HDR.jpg

Up...

IMG_20200907_112722727_HDR.jpg

and up...

IMG_20200907_122438336_HDR.jpg

and up...

IMG_20200907_131426380_HDR.jpg

then up some more...

IMG_20200907_132634536_HDR.jpg

to the height of land, which I believe was the highest point attained at 12,289. I took frequent stops and walked a lot of the up. It was loose gravelly terrain that even if it had been tacky single track would have taxed me riding the whole thing. As I walked past a pair of couples a guy quipped 'I thought you were supposed to be riding that.' A few moments too late I realized the perfect retort of 'Sometimes you have to put down the hammer and pick up the screwdriver.'

IMG_20200907_134631748_HDR.jpg

A snack break at the height of land.

IMG_20200907_140048742.jpg

I got up to ride and looked around only to see this lone horse down in the high alpine meadow. I have no clue why he was up there.

I heard the bleating of sheep, which I had been told were on Searle Pass long before I could see them through the haze.

IMG_20200907_143514908_HDR.jpg

They are hard to make out in this image, but they are in the distant meadow.

IMG_1818.JPG

Poor exposure, but a zoom shot of the sheep. They look like rocks until you click into the picture for a larger image.

IMG_20200907_143527659_HDR.jpg

The trail down and Janet's Cabin.

IMG_20200907_144902717_HDR.jpg

Beautiful scenery on the way down.

I had been following a trail of horse manure from Janet's on down. I finally met the beasts when I reached Copper. There was a team of about 6 horses and riders, with a couple or three pack mules. They were a bow-hunting (presumably guided) group. From 100 feet away I got their attention and asked to pass at a place that was convenient to them. The ambled on a bit and pulled over. I got off my bike to walk past them and one horse shifted just as I reached his hind end. I got a boost of adrenaline from that that got me back to my truck just that much quicker.

I used almost 140 ounces of water, 4 clementines, half a baggie of cashews, a quarter baggie of dried mango and a RxBar to make it up and over Kokomo and Searle passes.

IMG_20200907_171744084_HDR.jpg

To give you an idea of what AQI 185 looks like (above). Normal (below)

IMG_20181017_181256848_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
^^^^and the rest now canceled due to snow?

Goodbye summer for now.

9F61E9DD-91D0-4C3F-B2F6-7C36EAF51AF1.jpeg

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Geez @Doug Briggs, that's quite the ride! In very poor air quality to boot!
I rode Targhee over the weekend, all of 22ish miles total in poor air quality, and my sinuses are on FIRE as a result. (No pun intended.) Back home in UT, the entire state is blowing away with this storm moving in.
Stay safe and healthy, everyone.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
It’s actually pretty dangerous to exercise at higher levels of small particulate. I’ll do short rides if it’s just a bit smoke hazy, but I won’t ride like it was yesterday.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Geez @Doug Briggs, that's quite the ride! In very poor air quality to boot!
I rode Targhee over the weekend, all of 22ish miles total in poor air quality, and my sinuses are on FIRE as a result. (No pun intended.) Back home in UT, the entire state is blowing away with this storm moving in.
Stay safe and healthy, everyone.

Thanks. My throat is complaining right now. I think I'll gargle to see if that helps.

It’s actually pretty dangerous to exercise at higher levels of small particulate. I’ll do short rides if it’s just a bit smoke hazy, but I won’t ride like it was yesterday.

Riding the AQI of 185 wan't my plan or intent. It got worse as I went, unfortunately. The day before it had been sub-30. :-(

Thats gonna make for some hero dirt for daaayys. :ogbiggrin:

Yes, it is. We still haven't gotten precip in Breck, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online