• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mountain Biking 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ Love the DPX2 on my Fuel EX. Actually, I've loved them on my last two Fuel EX's.

For now, I've ditched ALL shocks and forks. It is not faster. Ha! Yesterday:
IMG_3525.JPG

IMG_3526.JPG

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Another day, another fat bike ride. Same location as Monday's pic, but more winter!!!

The extra snow, fat tires, and more time on the bike made riding the stairs inviting.

IMG_3530.JPG

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Few weeks ago my Canyon Lux (previous Lux model) developed some play in main pivot, and as it was not the bearings but some structural issue in frame where alu insert where bearings come, got "unglued" from carbon frame, Canyon declared it irreparable, so frame was basically trash. I'm somehow sure it could actually be fixed, but as Canyon has 6 years warranty on frame, and bike was "only" 4 years old I gave it a try. Few mails here and there, and yesterday, about 3 weeks after I opened case over their web form, I got new frame delivered :) Canyon didn't have old Lux frames on stock anymore, so they sent me current model, with rear shock included, as it's different then old one. There's few things I will still need to by myself as not everything from old bike will fit to new one, but it's in range of few 100eur, so no big deal. Now, as there's still no real snow here, and all glaciers are closed at least for another 14 days due covid shit, I have time to get bike ready for next season :D
Otherwise it's too cold and too wet already for me to get out on bike, not to mention, I have pretty weird feeling trail running in forest already, with 10cm of leaves covering ground and you don't see any rocks or roots, and on bike, even if it would be warmer and dryer it would be supper weird.

canyon_lux_frame.jpg

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Winter riding is full go now! Trails got groomed and that means we can start covering more ground as they harden up over the next couple weeks. After hearing about the other main winter riding trail system still has sections with knee deep overflow, we are avoiding any of the pond or stream crossings for the next couple weeks until they actually freeze. Taking a dip is not very high on the fun meter in the winter.

Temps were about 5*f tonight, perfect riding temps.
20201112_191524.jpg
20201112_195855.jpg

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Winter riding is full go now! Trails got groomed and that means we can start covering more ground as they harden up over the next couple weeks.

Groomed trails would be a blast!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Winter riding is full go now! Trails got groomed and that means we can start covering more ground as they harden up over the next couple weeks. After hearing about the other main winter riding trail system still has sections with knee deep overflow, we are avoiding any of the pond or stream crossings for the next couple weeks until they actually freeze. Taking a dip is not very high on the fun meter in the winter.

Temps were about 5*f tonight, perfect riding temps.
View attachment 114726 View attachment 114727
I REALLY want a fatbike. But the cost of the actual bike is just part of the investment. I'd have to get the mitts, and shoes or covers. I just don't see it happening anytime soon. But man, does that look fun! And with our new neighborhood trails, could be a viable and convenient activity for me.

Reactions: nay

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
As you might imagine, we have a lot of dog mushing trails around Fairbanks. They are the folks primarily grooming the trails we ride/walk/ski on in the winter as a groomed trail is way safer for a dog team than a natural packed mushing trail. Without them, the winter riding options would be more limited to other trails that snowmachiners use as fat bikes are not welcome on the XC ski trail networks.

Winter bike shoes.. I run flat pedals cause it's easier to choose footwear. I use a pair of waterproof Merrel boots from like 10 years ago that I just glued back together with shoe goo this year. They will go away at the end of this year to get replaced by a pair of 45nrth boots I was eyeing at the shop. But for $400 I'll keep my existing boots going for another season with shoe goo. But yeah, easily looking at a couple hundred dollars more gear on top of the fat bike. Good poagies are easily $120 or more, then you need a bag and lights and insulated water bottles and it goes on and on..

If you have sewing skills, it's not too difficult to make your own bags. I've made two frame bags at this point, the most recent is the frame bag on my bike in all my pictures. The hard part is sourcing the fabric as most places won't have the waterproof or membrane backed fabrics you want to use for these things. I ordered all mine from a place called ripstopbytheroll. The hexcam fabric is X-Pac VX15, #8 sized coil zippers, and 1000D black Cordura. I used a 1/8" shock cord to attach to the top tube and the seat tube and down tube parts are direct mounted to the water bottle bosses. I've got some thin strips of cutting boards on the down tube and seat tube in the bag to give it some rigidity and no need for ugly velcro loops. This side has the big zipper to access the main storage and the other side has a small pocket for tools and my pump.
20201113_102756.jpg

As you can see from my bike, the BEST part of winter riding in Alaska is that your bike is clean all the time! Those tires are going on their 3rd winter and they look sooo fresh.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Hey Guys. lets create a separate thread for Fat bikes. I asked for a separate section but I dont think there's enough people to warrant it. But I think a separate thread for Fat bike rides under Mtn bikes will work. I started one yesterday for my ride so I'll start a 2020/2021 fat bike ride section

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I REALLY want a fatbike. But the cost of the actual bike is just part of the investment. I'd have to get the mitts, and shoes or covers. I just don't see it happening anytime soon. But man, does that look fun! And with our new neighborhood trails, could be a viable and convenient activity for me.

so, I run flats and your winter hiking boots are fine for now, Pogies (hand covers) and any winter glove will work. otherwise, theres really no added costs other than the bike. You will most likely still have some killer deals hanging around on FB garage sale or CL on bikes. YMMV but they are so much fun to ride.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
From the skin track back to the single track.
FBFEE43C-264F-4DDA-8185-044677A5271F.jpeg

Although I rode my road bike for the first time in a year yesterday I thought my MTB was done for the year a week ago. After poking around on the skis last Thursday when the high was a balmy 17° F to today when it was 67°F when I return to the trailhead.
76B4D0B1-7201-4A25-AA87-DE32B3380EA4.jpeg

Snow & mud in my little valley but perfect conditions just over the hill on the Bonneville Shoreline Trail (BST)...
21366F86-90A3-41FE-A8FD-CE31C01AA227.jpeg

Embracing climate change & the crazy weather fluctuations it brings
62FA258A-5D20-4E14-9CD2-4C1F74885036.jpeg

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ I agree, but from a totally different perspective (cross post from Fat Biking)!

Fat 2020 #4.JPG

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Cross-posted from Fat Biking.

Golf course path riding is totally OK here, between the end of golf season, and the beginning of groomed xc ski season. A great novelty!
IMG_3562.JPG

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Well my my new dpx2 is already leaking some oil. Probably going to need to go to a DVO Jade X with progressive coil to stop eating shocks, which the Stumpy evo is known for.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well my my new dpx2 is already leaking some oil. Probably going to need to go to a DVO Jade X with progressive coil to stop eating shocks, which the Stumpy evo is known for.

Not going to give Fox one shot at making it right?

Nobody's perfect.....:geek:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm going to cross-post this from Fat Bikes, because I could have easily done the whole ride today on a "regular" mtb. We need snow. It was a stunning day for the 3 Lake Tour of Woods, Dollar and Beaver Lakes!
Woods Lake.JPG

Dollar Lake.JPG

Beaver Lake.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online