• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mountain Biking 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Cross-posted from Fat Bikes. Lousy pic, but Glacier NP peaks in the distance. Astoundingly clear day.

IMG_3603.JPG

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Not going to give Fox one shot at making it right?

Nobody's perfect.....:geek:

Wasn’t off my bike so I don’t really have a warranty claim as I can’t prove purchase. I picked up a second DPX2 that was unused (longer stroke) and same issue. I’m going to sell one DPX2, keep the second as a spare, and sell the 2020 DHX2 that Fox rebuilt under warranty and has no miles since rebuild.

So this is waiting on the 550-670 in/lb progressive Valt coil to arrive. The Jade X is made to handle the side loads shocks take on this type of linkage and the progressive coil should be sweet with the better compression setup on this shock. I couldn’t bring myself to get a 2021 DHX2 (apparently vastly improved but still tiny piston) because I’m hearing no warranty if added to a 2021 Stumpy Evo, which now comes with the DPX2. So we’ll see. DVO warranties the Jade on the Evo and it’s more at home tunable than most alternatives.

2C869A08-29DD-4ACB-95AB-AE0C61D2A50E.jpeg

Also the local ride Christmas tree.

58749FDA-9883-46AA-9584-BAE695B415D1.jpeg

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ How does it feel going back to a coil shock, so far?

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Question: Difference between Fox Performance 36 and Fox Factory 36.

Husband thinks I should go with a 9.9 next year after he got one. It has the Factory 36. We also noticed that SRAM has changed its drivetrain configuration to a 30 tooth front with a 52?? in the back. (I think that's correct--sorry, the bikes are not exactly my focus right now.) Anyway, he gave a major thumbs up to the change. As much as we both wanted Shimano, the wait on those is God-knows-how-long. He was really happy with the Eagle XO1 shifting on the 2021 bike with the new configuration.

You can tell we are short on snow if I'm still posting about MTB :ogbiggrin::(

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Question: Difference between Fox Performance 36 and Fox Factory 36.

Husband thinks I should go with a 9.9 next year after he got one. It has the Factory 36. We also noticed that SRAM has changed its drivetrain configuration to a 30 tooth front with a 52?? in the back. (I think that's correct--sorry, the bikes are not exactly my focus right now.) Anyway, he gave a major thumbs up to the change. As much as we both wanted Shimano, the wait on those is God-knows-how-long. He was really happy with the Eagle XO1 shifting on the 2021 bike with the new configuration.

You can tell we are short on snow if I'm still posting about MTB :ogbiggrin::(

I could type a book on these forks. But first, I need to know if the Performance 36 you're looking at has a GRIP, GRIP2 or Fit4 damper.

The new Factory 36 has FOUR damping adjustments, and "VVC" this year, which should allow you to soften things up a bit for somebody of your size and speed and aggression.

Awesome video on the new 38 damper, but it all applies to the new 36, as well.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I could type a book on these forks. But first, I need to know if the Performance 36 you're looking at has a GRIP, GRIP2 or Fit4 damper.

The new Factory 36 has FOUR damping adjustments, and "VVC" this year, which should allow you to soften things up a bit for somebody of your size and speed and aggression.

Awesome video on the new 38 damper, but it all applies to the new 36, as well.
The Performance is whatever is on the EX 9.8. The Factory is on the 2021 EX 9.9. I’d love it if I could dial it in better for me my weight.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Performance is whatever is on the EX 9.8. The Factory is on the 2021 EX 9.9. I’d love it if I could dial it in better for me my weight.

Perfect, just what I needed -- and why didn't I just look at the bikes? -- because I was headed out on a ride!

I think you'd like the Grip better than the Grip2. Generally considered a bit "softer" and so much less complex to adjust.

Now, rolling up my sleeves to help you spend your money, I've got to ask, have you considered a Top Fuel with a 130 mm fork? It's a little firmer in the back, but at your weight, the FEX is serious extra weight to lug around.

But, just asking. I like my Top Fuel, but LOVE my FEX, so I get it. But at least "cross-grade" the wheels from Line Pro 30s to Kovee Pro 30s!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Perfect, just what I needed -- and why didn't I just look at the bikes? -- because I was headed out on a ride!

I think you'd like the Grip better than the Grip2. Generally considered a bit "softer" and so much less complex to adjust.

Now, rolling up my sleeves to help you spend your money, I've got to ask, have you considered a Top Fuel with a 130 mm fork? It's a little firmer in the back, but at your weight, the FEX is serious extra weight to lug around.

But, just asking. I like my Top Fuel, but LOVE my FEX, so I get it. But at least "cross-grade" the wheels from Line Pro 30s to Kovee Pro 30s!
I have tossed around the Top Fuel, but even with its weight, the FEX is so damned fun! I hate to mess myself up by going with something different. And the Kovee wheels are a big difference? I've not ever played around with wheels--I just know that I definitely could feel the difference going from aluminum to carbon a few years ago. It took me awhile to get used to them.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have tossed around the Top Fuel, but even with its weight, the FEX is so damned fun! I hate to mess myself up by going with something different. And the Kovee wheels are a big difference? I've not ever played around with wheels--I just know that I definitely could feel the difference going from aluminum to carbon a few years ago. It took me awhile to get used to them.

1760 g Line Pro vs. 1500 g Kovee Pro. Significant and immediately noticeable.

Bonus: The Kovees have a bit more "give" to them. Just right IMO. I ride hard and fast (but like to at least think I'm smooth) and weigh 195. I don't do drops/jumps/you get my drift. I prefer the Kovees and have been thrashing a set since September 2019. No problems.

Caveat: For Moab-style riding, I do run the beefier Line Pros. You wouldn't need to.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Rode from the house this afternoon including a new loop called the Bridges. Everything in the sun on my side of the valley is sadly dry but I was finding snow & ice when I got into the shade. A little on the cool side so I began with a steep climb to warm up & felt pretty comfortable the whole time.
D5408F8A-18B6-4004-AB10-87F922647919.jpeg

F12CB451-D351-401B-80B2-B7DD47977D03.jpeg

8A07303B-2098-4AC8-9FA6-37DB86BC7DE2.jpeg

0F87A163-E1E0-46AC-B53A-82BEA5BA679B.jpeg

I have tossed around the Top Fuel, but even with its weight, the FEX is so damned fun!
If it was me I would ride the “bike that is so damned fun”!
BTW, I run a 32 front 50 rear & find it perfect for the rides around here. I just got a new XO1 derailleur which would allow me to go 52 on the rear but it’s already a pretty big jump as it is.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
^^^ How does it feel going back to a coil shock, so far?

In a word: Finally!

But I changed from DHX2 to Jade X, the latter having an air bladder PSI setting in exchange for the internal floating piston design (170-210 range), and a linear rate 600 in/lb coil to 500-670 progressive so there’s a lot going on here fairly specific to this bike (DH geo, trail bike rear linkage).

The setup is extremely supportive off the top with the Jade in open setting (3 settings for compression like a Fit 4 plus a single rebound dial). Pedaling is excellent and the coil gives all that rear traction as they do. Small bump compliance is coil smooth despite the firm support, and for big hits the back half of the travel is finally not just crashing through. It feels like 160mm.

The Valt coil progressive rate ramps up at 50% travel so it’s kicking in exactly where the Stumpjumper linkage is rotating towards vertical and offering little resistance itself to flex.

Outside of big hit resistance/performance, the bike is just glued in corners. I’m figuring out just how fast it is, but I dropped 4 seconds on a minute and a half downhill that is half slickrock tech and half flow with some hairpin turns at speed. I got all of the time on the lower “trail” portion in those corners.

Now this is only two rides, but it feels like enduro race ready on an efficient daily trail bike. Finally.

Always can tell the weight, but it’s minimal for the performance. The DHX2 is missing some light hardware here, these two setups and virtually weight identical and both 320g more than the DPX2. I’m keeping a DPX2 as a spare, but I’m not sure I’d use it even for big alpine rides because it’s hard to get the sag more supportive for long pedals. Probably the X2 is the right air shock for this bike on the Fox side.

16FD2583-EE9E-4B21-8F14-ED801FAF8305.jpeg
5569A92D-1FC7-4B60-8958-E67B397021D0.jpeg

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This one turned out pretty big for a fat bike ride. Since we rode over less than 20% snow, I'm posting it in the "regular" mtb photo thread!

IMG_3621.JPG

IMG_3616.JPG

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thats pretty big time. I am sometimes amazed how a gazzilion switchback ups and downs add up to thousands of feet. Straight up mountain climbing is a different story.

I did one of the usual loops around the woods then cruised around the bogs to enjoy the warm sun.

They sound like popcorn when you ride through them
20201213_110032.jpg

Supersweet sun ripened organic compost pile berries.
20201213_105830.jpg

No mountains around here
20201213_105547.jpg

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
When I-70 is down to one lane for paving and construction, riding can be like this for less time than just the extra wait.

0CAEBAE5-8D74-44C5-B250-2A35F047B106.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online