• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mountain Biking 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I would but Im gonna need a new bike. This was yesterday:

View attachment 109772

:nono:
So sorry. Thieves are the lowest of the low. I had my stingray stripped of the bars & seat while I was in grammar school and then my hard earned Peugeot 10 speed was stolen while locked when I was in high school. Those events made a lifelong Impact.

Mountain biking is over in Tahoe for the time being.

this is unprecedented & sucks but it is the right thing to do.

Last edited:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
So sorry. Thieves are the lowest of the low. I had my stingray stripped of the bars & seat while I was in grammar school and then my hard earned Peugeot 10 speed was stolen while locked when I was in high school. Those events left lifelong scars for me.

Yikes. I guess with the current situation it was to be expected.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
So sorry. Thieves are the lowest of the low. I had my stingray stripped of the bars & seat while I was in grammar school and then my hard earned Peugeot 10 speed was stolen while locked when I was in high school. Those events left lifelong scars for me.

Holy cow, indeed crazy! Will you be heading east to ride in the dust with us?

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
Weekend rides with the kids around Lee Canyon in Las Vegas.

Attachments

• IMG_1281.jpg
    IMG_1281.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1241.jpg
    IMG_1241.jpg
    315.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1286.jpg
    IMG_1286.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 14

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
New bike day sometime next week. Il be able to compare the new v2 HT to my former HT LT. :ogbiggrin:

FYi Colorado ppl.:

IMG_0122.png

Reactions: nay

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Our neighbors had a brand new MTB stolen out of their garage last night.
Turns out, some other neighbors had some very spendy road bikes stolen from their houses in late July.
We are installing more video cameras on our house.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Our neighbors had a brand new MTB stolen out of their garage last night.
Turns out, some other neighbors had some very spendy road bikes stolen from their houses in late July.
We are installing more video cameras on our house.

Just put 3 more cams. Anyone roaming the alley behind my house will get themselves and their vehicle recorded.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yikes, all this bike theft makes me glad I live out of town and in a town where it seems to be less of a thing. However, I definitely am not fully okay with my current set up for storing bikes at home, the expensive gravel bikes both live indoors, but the fat bikes, mtb, and a cx bike live outdoors on my covered deck. Thankfully out of sight and chained up, but I wish I had an indoor space to put them.

This evenings ride was gooood, had two friends and a tiny dog along for about 70% of the ride. Temps were in the mid 40's, seriously overcast, and it had dried out a little bit since my last ride up there, however the amount of leaves on the trail made it slippery in a different way. Both my friends and the dog bailed as the sun went down and I fired up my lights for a lap of the really fun inner loop of our trail system. Totally worth it, I always forget just how fun that bit of trail is because it's much shorter than the other popular routes and we usually don't hit it on our rides.
20200911_190241.jpg 20200911_191957.jpg

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Just reflecting on bike thefts..I live in Toronto, huge city..theft was a thing back in the 90's..but nowadays, I don't see a lot of theft. I see people leaving bikes on their front lawn all night..it's weird. I mean, if you leave good stuff out, yeah, it might get stolen..but your average beater..no interest. Back in the day, if you left anything in plain view that wasn't locked down, gone. And even at that, we went through the whole Kryptonite lock phase but now you can lock up a bike with a bungee cord and it'll likely be there when you get back. There must be a better theft market to deal in now...

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Just reflecting on bike thefts..I live in Toronto, huge city..theft was a thing back in the 90's..but nowadays, I don't see a lot of theft. I see people leaving bikes on their front lawn all night..it's weird. I mean, if you leave good stuff out, yeah, it might get stolen..but your average beater..no interest. Back in the day, if you left anything in plain view that wasn't locked down, gone. And even at that, we went through the whole Kryptonite lock phase but now you can lock up a bike with a bungee cord and it'll likely be there when you get back. There must be a better theft market to deal in now...

Here in Denver the beater bikes get stolen because the homeless (mostly) have pretty large bike chop chops in their encampments in and around the city and also use them as transportation and sell for parts to others around them. I do not care much about beater bikes.

The good bikes get stolen and mostly sold for good $ somewhere or their good parts used in other bikes.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Had my border collie Powder along for a ride today. He's doing so well with trail training, he just gets what he needs to do out there. 6 miles and 800ft of climbing makes for a happy tired collie.

Curious what you're doing for trail training? I'm hoping to get my pup out on the trails next year, as a Blue Heeler mix, he has an abundance of energy and I think taking him along for rides will be a great outlet. We're working hard on recall and heeling, but wondering what else people do to train their pups on the trails.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Had my border collie Powder along for a ride today. He's doing so well with trail training, he just gets what he needs to do out there. 6 miles and 800ft of climbing makes for a happy tired collie.

Curious what you're doing for trail training? I'm hoping to get my pup out on the trails next year, as a Blue Heeler mix, he has an abundance of energy and I think taking him along for rides will be a great outlet. We're working hard on recall and heeling, but wondering what else people do to train their pups on the trails.

A tired puppy is a good puppy! So many owners just don't understand the exercise needs of the "outdoor" breeds.

We're pretty easy going "hippy" parents, but there are a few things Presta knows:

1. Lead
2. Get back
3. Wait
4. Always pass us on the left.

Have fun out there!

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm no expert on training dogs but I have always had a herding type dog growing up and am used to the level of ability and activity that comes along with them. We did do about 6 months of agility classes with him when he was about a year old and we did lots of just riding around the yard with the bikes well before we took him places. I didn't take him out on the trails until he was close to a about 20 months old and we were confidant that he would eventually recall to us as his recall at 2.5 years is still only about 95%. I'm still trying to teach him how to follow the bike, but he just realllllly likes to lead be it riding bikes or just walks. He has figured out that when we are going slow up hill that he should stick closer and mostly heels with the bike. Otherwise he mostly sticks about 20 yards up trail and stops and checks on me fairly often. But mostly I think I've been blessed with a dog that picks up things super quick and thinks of biking as one of his "jobs" and thus tries really hard to do it right for me.

I would try to get the position commands done on foot indoors first, then move outdoors on foot, and finally add the bike in before even trying to go to the trails. Do remember that your pup needs water and food just like you do. I carry extra water in a bottle for him and bring extra in my hydration pack just in case. Second is that, they don't tend to listen very well for the first mile and then settle into the rhythm of things after that. Start small and work up just as you would when you are starting your riding season. Powder and I kept it to 2-3 miles once a week for most of the summer and have only bumped it up to 6 miles once a week in the last month. He stays busy enough that I don't need to go ride with him more than once a week, if I did he would have way too much activity in his daily schedule. Four days a week he goes to my parents place and plays with their English Shepard and Aussie all day, one day a week he goes to a doggy daycare group all day, and then the weekends we go adventure.

Commands I use when riding and some are used in normal life:
Come Around: clockwise turn
Other Way: CCW turn
This Way: you went the wrong way and need to pay attention (yes there is some confusion with "other way" but this is just how he ended up learning this command)
Too Far/Far Enough: stop and wait + implied that a recall is coming. We also use this as a boundary command at home to keep him on our property.
Lead
Follow: Still working on this one.
Slow: mostly used when hiking down hill, but he slows to a walking pace and stops pulling on the lead if he is on the lead.
Keep On: keep on running past things and go straight
Leave it: ignore people, dogs, and things.
Take a Break.
Spot: lay/sit/stand between my legs or at my feet. Super useful for getting him back in reach so I can grab his harness when people go by just in case.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
A neighbor with a beagle had a portrait on a rock anonymously left on their porch.

A couple years ago I saw this while on a ride with @UGASkiDawg :

20180804_134835_Continental Divide Trail.jpg

I chose to leave it. IIRC, I sent a selfie, too.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Seen on last night's ride...

View attachment 110213
It's the little things now more than ever.
This showed up in my front yard a few months ago
View attachment 110217
A neighbor with a beagle had a portrait on a rock anonymously left on their porch.

A couple years ago I saw this while on a ride with @UGASkiDawg :

View attachment 110223
I chose to leave it. IIRC, I sent a selfie, too.

and this has been at the base of my mailbox since springtime.
A63FDE2D-314B-4147-A24D-B17F80CDF021.jpeg

or maybe since Thanksgiving.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
If you weren’t following the Grim Donut, pt 2 has just been released. For those noodling about why bike manufacturers keep making tiny adjustments to a known end game, well, the Grim Donut applied the changes in geometry from the last ten years again in one step.

Entertaining, worth watching, and a pro racer went really, really fast. In two parts, with your evening bourbon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online