• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 Mountain Biking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@Tom K. at the moment I couldn't agree more with you :ogbiggrin: But more then budget it's that I don't really have need for second (or third or fourth) bike. I'm more then happy with one, and in 30 years on mtb (I got my first mtb in 1992) I never really had much issues. Sure something small broke, but all was solved in day or two, so no need for really much of spare stuff on stock. This is now first issue, where second bike (not 10 years old at that time super cool, but today really bad fitting bike) would be awesome. If it will go really really bad, I can always ask friend to borrow their new Scott Spark RC for a bit longer "test", but at the moment I'm not that desperate yet :ogbiggrin:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
IMO if budget allows, every serious mtb rider needs a spare bike.
No good to give up a portion of "the season" while awaiting.
I am thinking the same thing. I used to consider my road bike the backup but I ride it so infrequently that I left it in Utah this year. I keep imagining the horror of becoming a full time golfer :geek: !!!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
In the convection oven 100* temps and wind. On pEavine with Reno in the background
IMG_5061.jpeg

Above the Reno "R"
tempImagemd80Ka.png

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
1) Phil, why?! Why?! So hot! No shade. You cray cray :ogbiggrin:

2) I really need to stop to take more pics. We ride some cool trails here with so many rock gardens and so many changes in topography and scenery within a mile or so, but I'm so used to them I never think to stop and take pics. Plus pics don't truly show the "bigness" of some stuff. What I need to do is use my GoPro to record the Green Pond rock gardens, which cannot fully be appreciated if you don't actually hear the rattling and grunting (from me) and the bell ringing non-stop for 3 rather long (read: several hundred yards) sections. It's definitely a "faster is better" section, within reason, of course.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A seldom-found overlook and a few flowers from today's ride, before we got smoked out.

The photo doesn't do the rock outcropping justice, though it does showcase Mrs. K's seamstress talents. It's big, with a solid 60 foot drop off.

IMG_0107.JPG

IMG_0108.JPG

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I raced. I felt gross the entire climb. Smoke from wildfires, too much sweetened electrolytes, 6 hours sleep. My downhill times were awesome and I was sitting in 6th, but my climbs (this route is about 3 miles downhill then lots of steady climbing for 11) were horrible. I came to the conclusion that if I want to do this with any seriousness, I need a lighter bike. But I don’t want to do this with any seriousness. I can’t control wildfire smoke. I’m still coughing from it and it was yesterday morning.

Smoke seems a part of multiple weeks every summer and I don’t see it improving. It’s sad and scary.

47279A78-58EF-4F2E-95C0-1E4ED14F21A4.jpeg
1CE8B54F-2D19-4609-B89C-0F85AD8A7B13.jpeg

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I raced.....I came to the conclusion that if I want to do this with any seriousness, I need a lighter bike.

Or a race day wheelset?

If you're running the stock Line Pro 30s on that FEX, you are significantly over-wheeled IMO.

I weigh nearly 200 now that racing is clearly in my rearview mirror, and it took me almost two full seasons to break a single rear spoke on a set of Kovee Pro 30s. They about eleventy million grams lighter and faster than the Line 30s. Also a more supple ride.

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Without being willing to go CF new bike etc, you have to evaluate what would make significant weight drop for the money on your current rig. Wheels are a biggie. Fork. But at what point are you basically paying for a new bike.. That's the question. The great thing about spare wheels is you've never out of action if you blow one up. Just throw the spare on and carry on. These days it can take a while to get the parts and labour needed to rebuild your wheel.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The great thing about spare wheels is you've never out of action if you blow one up.
I think Amy would probably have to ride around with a 75lb backpack before she could blow up a wheel. But, point taken: Stick in the spokes would do it.

Mrs. K's seamstress talents.
Are you saying she made that jersey?

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I think Amy would probably have to ride around with a 75lb backpack
Training rides??? :geek::ogbiggrin:

You know what I mean though..could be cracked rim from defect or workmanship..or collision..hub could go bad..you never know.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Well there it is. Except what you really meant was, "I need another bike for race day."

XC racing is something, the DH performance doesn’t matter much.

I think enduro is a lot more fun. You still have to ride everything, but the in between stuff is just pace ride and have fun meeting people.

XC is a non-stop sprint of however long and there’s just about zero room for any kind of inefficiency. I’m like “wow I like beer I can’t do that, bye”.

:P

Actually had some heat for 2 days. Cool again (for July) now though.

99A3A01D-3827-4E1A-A53C-D195CE3574B2.jpeg
83BFCBBE-D305-4083-9989-2BE9E0FC63DB.jpeg
0B4DA2CF-F7FD-4842-B528-533FF1B724D3.jpeg

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Or a race day wheelset?

If you're running the stock Line Pro 30s on that FEX, you are significantly over-wheeled IMO.

I weigh nearly 200 now that racing is clearly in my rearview mirror, and it took me almost two full seasons to break a single rear spoke on a set of Kovee Pro 30s. They about eleventy million grams lighter and faster than the Line 30s. Also a more supple ride.

Well, I could move them from bike to bike for a few years. I hadn't thought of wheels. I really love the FEX. It is so versatile.

Without being willing to go CF new bike etc, you have to evaluate what would make significant weight drop for the money on your current rig. Wheels are a biggie. Fork. But at what point are you basically paying for a new bike.. That's the question. The great thing about spare wheels is you've never out of action if you blow one up. Just throw the spare on and carry on. These days it can take a while to get the parts and labour needed to rebuild your wheel.
I'm on a new carbon bike every year. The fork on this bike is definitely a bit much for me, but wheels...that could be done.
XC racing is something, the DH performance doesn’t matter much.

I think enduro is a lot more fun. You still have to ride everything, but the in between stuff is just pace ride and have fun meeting people.

XC is a non-stop sprint of however long and there’s just about zero room for any kind of inefficiency. I’m like “wow I like beer I can’t do that, bye”.

:P

Actually had some heat for 2 days. Cool again (for July) now though.

View attachment 137496 View attachment 137497 View attachment 137498
They do have some mini-enduro weekly race series here, with women's divisions. I've tossed it around, but it would really depend on how technical the courses are.

I'm still congested in my chest. The AQI is in the 120s again today. That definitely didn't help me yesterday.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Well, I could move them from bike to bike for a few years. I hadn't thought of wheels. I really love the FEX. It is so versatile.

I'm on a new carbon bike every year. The fork on this bike is definitely a bit much for me, but wheels...that could be done.

They do have some mini-enduro weekly race series here, with women's divisions. I've tossed it around, but it would really depend on how technical the courses are.

I'm still congested in my chest. The AQI is in the 120s again today. That definitely didn't help me yesterday.
You know that exercising in bad quality air will do long term damage to your lungs.

The 2.5 particles will stay in your lungs a long time, years, possibly forever.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Are you saying she made that jersey?

Yes. Mrs. K seldom rides in anything but her own custom jerseys, and my niece's custom wedding dress is currently hanging in "the sweatshop" waiting the final touches before the big day later this month.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
You know that exercising in bad quality air will do long term damage to your lungs.

The 2.5 particles will stay in your lungs a long time, years, possibly forever.
I know. My lungs are already permanently damaged from exercising on a "red" air day in LA County in 1989. Dumb.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We rode a section of Emigrant Trail this morning before it got too hot.
I am finding my riding getting consistently faster and my confidence is building.
No actual ride pics but here is where @Philpug found me on a water break after he went on ahead about a mile.
All in all, I did a little over 11 miles of rocky, terrain. This is the kind of terrain I wouldn't have felt comfortable riding a few years ago.
Phil got a little over 12 in.
5DA64337-8420-41E3-A872-FB55CF97C64D.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online