• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 Mountain Biking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
After a 6 month wait, my Fuel EX 9.8 has arrived. The color is just awesome. I ordered GX but got XT. I am tickled as I wanted XT but the delivery date was longer at the time I ordered, so went with GX. When we opened the box, it was like Christmas on steroids. XT!! What??!!

A spring trip to southern Utah is in order. Our ski season, save for a few weeks, has been pretty grim so I’m excited to get out on the bike again.
View attachment 127462 View attachment 127463
Beautiful bike! I hope you tried it out down the stairs:)

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Beautiful bike! I hope you tried it out down the stairs:)
If only there wasn’t a landing at a wall at the bottom! :roflmao:I did almost ride it down the stairs off the front porch but decided I’d better get to know the bike first:ogbiggrin:

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I remember I was riding with some relative noobs once..and I rode down about 15 stairs..and the look on their face was like they'd just seen fire invented... :ogbiggrin:
:bikewheelie:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I don’t know if it’s the Shimano drivetrain, but I rode a road route that I’ve ridden 50+ times, which has a 3-4 minute steady climb that if I push usually leaves me huffing and puffing and out of gas, and I PRd it, which is just unheard of for an early season ride! As in, 35 seconds faster than all of last season, and I never shifted and still had life left in my legs! The closest time ever was 2 years ago on a 30 tooth oval SRAM GX. This is the exact same bike as last year’s with the exception of the drivetrain-Eagle GX last year, Shimano XT this year. We put the saddle in the same position, the bars were moved to the new bike because I had cut them to 750, so literally everything is the same. I haven’t done any crazy training this winter. I did get an Echelon bike but have only ridden it a few times. Mostly been skiing a lot, which I do every winter.

This bike is FAST. I’m really excited to get out on it on the trails.
F7CD222E-E0B6-4653-957D-C4CD5C3B9057.jpeg

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is the exact same bike as last year’s with the exception of the drivetrain-Eagle GX last year, Shimano XT this year. We put the saddle in the same position, the bars were moved to the new bike because I had cut them to 750, so literally everything is the same.

Am I mis-remembering, or did last year's FEX have 2.6s at both ends, and this year a 2.4?

l hated the 2.6 out back. Felt sluggish.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I think it’s the 30x51 drivetrain. I did max out the small ring on the downhill road. I never use that ring on the dirt with the exception of maybe a fire road so no biggie.

Time to pull the trailer out and head south for some camping and biking.:ogbiggrin::bikewheelie:

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@AmyPJ I got the same bike in the same color this year too! Shorter wait time.. only September to January for mine, but there is still multiple feet of snow on top of our trails. I won't get to ride mine for at least another 4 weeks.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@AmyPJ I got the same bike in the same color this year too! Shorter wait time.. only September to January for mine, but there is still multiple feet of snow on top of our trails. I won't get to ride mine for at least another 4 weeks.
With Shimano? If so, I’ll be curious to hear if you feel like it’s a super efficient climbing machine with that drive train. Last year’s geometry and suspension made it climb Rock gardens like a goat, but it felt less efficient than previous versions on long, sustained climbs. (I get the new Fuel every year.) This one with the Shimano—same bike otherwise—is just incredible on smooth climbs. The proof will come when I get it in some 45 minute+ single track sustained climbs.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yup, got the XT spec as well! literally every non drop bar bike I own has some sort of SRAM drivetrain on it, really wanted to try out a Shimano mtb drivetrain. The last Shimano mtb drivetrain I owned was a 3x7 from about 2003. I also didn't really feel like GX eagle was a worthy spec for the $5500 the bike costs, my 9:zero:7 fatbike was $2500 and came with GX eagle.. I'm coming off of a 2020 Top Fuel as my last full sus, so I might end up with a bit of a biased opinion of the climbing capabilities of the Fuel EX once I get a chance to ride it. The Top Fuel was such a fantastic climber even without using the lockouts.

My usual after work ride involves starts and ends with 10-15minute climbs up singletrack, so we will see! Got some pretty ambitious rides planned for this summer, the Fuel EX will definitely be put through its paces this year.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Cross-post from the FB forum, but this thread needs some action!

This could be the last real winter-ish ride of the year, based on the long range forecast.

If so, it was a beauty!

And yes, I forgot to bring a water bottle....

IMG_3891.JPG

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
X-Post from FB thread: We had ourselves more than a bit of a windstorm the other day!

IMG_3900.JPG

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
From last year...ready to ride again soon!

Attachments

• 20200801_111052.jpg
    20200801_111052.jpg
    367.8 KB · Views: 13

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Tricia and her Habit Neo were not getting along well, it is a very large medium, so she is shopping for a new e-ride...I think she found it...or ar least one that put the smile back on her face.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tricia and her Habit Neo were not getting along well, it is a very large medium, so she is shopping for a new e-ride...I think she found it...or ar least one that put the smile back on her face.

FWIW, Mrs. K absolutely LOVES her Liv e-mtb.

And part of that is being small enough for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.