• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 Mountain Biking

Status
Not open for further replies.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We rode a section of Emigrant Trail this morning before it got too hot.
I am finding my riding getting consistently faster and my confidence is building.
No actual ride pics but here is where @Philpug found me on a water break after he went on ahead about a mile.
All in all, I did a little over 11 miles of rocky, terrain. This is the kind of terrain I wouldn't have felt comfortable riding a few years ago.
Phil got a little over 12 in.
View attachment 137506
That's a fun trail. I rode it from hwy 89 to Stampede a few years ago and there was a very rocky section that was also overgrown. That was tough, not being able to see the rocks.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@luliski it is fun. The Rocky sections are definitley making me a better rider.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Best ride yet! :bikewheelie:...
F52F572D-E2FF-4032-9C74-3E072116E835.jpeg
8C1F21FF-33E9-4441-A979-0038AA728AFC.jpeg

315FFC9B-DB78-40AB-9CB1-6FB55457123C.jpeg
340E006A-14C9-4434-A2AE-691CC5FAD67B.jpeg
6317DE1E-CFBC-4B03-AF35-03DDFF318017.jpeg

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
With the Sierra Vista Park so close to us, and the ease of riding from our house, I haven't taken too many rides that require loading up the bike, but today I picked up a girlfriend and we headed to Farad to ride a short section of the Tahoe To Pyramid Trail. It was a shorter ride than what I've been doing (driven by a busy schedule today) but extremely enjoyable and refreshing along the Truckee River.
8720072B-088E-47AA-A46B-126C91663137.JPG

D52B0745-0538-4FA3-95E7-E12957283971.JPG

4DF37DEE-6F6D-4774-A4F1-A0A6F0B4E3A9.JPG

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The ride today was a rough one. For starters I started the day with a weird funky mood that I was trying to shake. We hit Tamarack Trail across from Mt Rose ski area, which is a trail I have ridden a few times before but struggle with some of the rocky exits on switchbacks. I had high hopes that this new bike would help since I've been riding switchbacks much better on the e-caliber, and I did do much better, but after I tipped over on the exit of one it got in my head and I struggled for a bit, almost bailed and headed back to the car but decided to shake it off and go on. Fortunately I had @Philpug to help me rally. After the rally time I captured a few wins on the way back to the car. (a few "f" ups too but we won't concentrate on those)
801EBEC1-72BC-4E4F-A01D-A3181D216FE6.JPG

9ECB4C6F-E81D-4557-BF11-A577D2116DEA.JPG

75D63255-9864-4EF0-89C0-3AC2358BCA6B.JPG

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
The ride today was a rough one. For starters I started the day with a weird funky mood that I was trying to shake. We hit Tamarack Trail across from Mt Rose ski area, which is a trail I have ridden a few times before but struggle with some of the rocky exits on switchbacks. I had high hopes that this new bike would help since I've been riding switchbacks much better on the e-caliber, and I did do much better, but after I tipped over on the exit of one it got in my head and I struggled for a bit, almost bailed and headed back to the car but decided to shake it off and go on. Fortunately I had @Philpug to help me rally. After the rally time I captured a few wins on the way back to the car. (a few "f" ups too but we won't concentrate on those)
View attachment 137922

View attachment 137923

View attachment 137924
Make sure your next ride is on a familiar “always fun” trail & use it as a confidence rebuilder :) !

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Make sure your next ride is on a familiar “always fun” trail & use it as a confidence rebuilder :) !
Funny you should say that. My GF that I ride with when she can get off work texted me tonight

She wants to know if we can ride the Sierra Vista Bike Park ....if I'm not bored with it.
The bike park is just what I need to get my mojo back.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
After almost 2 weeks of sort of riding and changing settings on my ancient bike, I'm finally so far, that bike feels almost good :) Another 1cm shorter steam would be great, but I couldn't find anything shorter then 7cm in my basement, so this will have to do. Inverting it down, to have negative rise, turning handlebar around to gain another 0.5cm when trying to lower handlebar, putting seat as far forward as it goes (still some 5cm behind crank axle), changing positions of break levers on handlebar (that I still need to change a bit, as best way to brake is with middle finger, and I just don't like that anymore), and finally bike feels fine... well at least on uphills. And it's actually flying up :ogbiggrin: I didn't push at all, and I beat all my records on climbs I went through on this ride. Next to a bit more then 1kg lighter bike then my Canyon is, those Schwalbe Thunder Burt tires add something to this too... or my legs just got so much faster in last few weeks since I was riding those climbs for last time :roflmao: But no matter how it feels on uphills, on downhills it's still, well not bad, as I can obviously ride same trails as I did before, but it's just not as much fun as my disabled Canyon Lux is. And geometry is still that different, that dropper post would actually help with this HT, even though on my Lux, I have absolutely no need for dropper. Oh yeah, and I never thought I will say this, but I actually miss 1x (still 3x10 on this Lapierre) :ogbiggrin:

20210715_184937.jpg

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
View attachment 137922

View attachment 137923

View attachment 137924
As landing spots go, that doesn't look too bad.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
After almost 2 weeks of sort of riding and changing settings on my ancient bike, I'm finally so far, that bike feels almost good :) Another 1cm shorter steam would be great, but I couldn't find anything shorter then 7cm in my basement, so this will have to do. Inverting it down, to have negative rise, turning handlebar around to gain another 0.5cm when trying to lower handlebar, putting seat as far forward as it goes (still some 5cm behind crank axle), changing positions of break levers on handlebar (that I still need to change a bit, as best way to brake is with middle finger, and I just don't like that anymore), and finally bike feels fine... well at least on uphills. And it's actually flying up :ogbiggrin: I didn't push at all, and I beat all my records on climbs I went through on this ride. Next to a bit more then 1kg lighter bike then my Canyon is, those Schwalbe Thunder Burt tires add something to this too... or my legs just got so much faster in last few weeks since I was riding those climbs for last time :roflmao: But no matter how it feels on uphills, on downhills it's still, well not bad, as I can obviously ride same trails as I did before, but it's just not as much fun as my disabled Canyon Lux is. And geometry is still that different, that dropper post would actually help with this HT, even though on my Lux, I have absolutely no need for dropper. Oh yeah, and I never thought I will say this, but I actually miss 1x (still 3x10 on this Lapierre) :ogbiggrin:

View attachment 137949
Eek. I haven't owned a hardtail since 2004, and I don't want to think about going back. At least it has discs.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
As landing spots go, that doesn't look too bad.
It doesn't hurt that I have some built in padding bikecrash
Fortunately I have more good rides than bad, and more upright moments than laying beside the trail moments.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Today was a great rebound day. Went to the Sierra Vista Bike Park and ripped a few familiar laps.
But...the coolest thing was seeing this dad with his two sons. 2 1/2 year old on a strider bike and 4 1/2 year old on his little pedal bike.
We passed the dad on the trail helping his 2 1/2 year old off to the side and explaning to him how we need to make room for other riders. I came around the bend and found his 4 1/2 year old pedaling, pulled off to the side and responded to me when I said, "Have a fun ride." He said "You too."

I had to circle back and compliment the dad on taking his kids out and teaching them the fun and the etiquette of riding.
Way to go dad.
917EDDE2-F76F-4DE2-A878-E45016CB3CD3.JPG

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
^^ Stories like that warm my heart. Thanks for posting the photo and telling us about your encounter with this dad and his kids.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
^^ Stories like that warm my heart. Thanks for posting the photo and telling us about your encounter with this dad and his kids.
When I asked the dad if I could take a picture he said, "Sure, and will you take one with my phone too so I have a copy?"

The 4.5 year old's name is Cole. Sadly I can't remember the name of the little(er) guy.

By riding back to talk to dad I wanted to encourage him to keep doing what he's doing.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Eek. I haven't owned a hardtail since 2004, and I don't want to think about going back. At least it has discs.
It's honestly not all that bad. Ok first ride, when I took bike out was disaster. I felt so damn annoyed I quit after 25km and just went home pissed like hell. Not really something what you want from activity that should make you feel great and should be fun. But then I was changing things and moving them around and every new ride felt better. Now I have position that I'm used to, so it feels good. Hardtail is not that much of a problem. It's a bit less fun on downhills, and it's a bit more "bouncy" (it really feels like it bounces more) elsewhere, as fullies that I have been riding now for last 5 years or so. But it rides fine, and it's fast. Afterall, I have been riding this bike for some 4 or 5 years before, and I loved it at that time. Sure it's still 26", but you don't really notice much difference. It's some 2% slower on typical XCO course, as some few years old Swiss study showed, but I would dare to bet there's not a single recreational rider, that would feel 2% speed difference. Otherwise bike is actually pretty much XC race rocket so it's not all that bad, just a bit old technology. But on one side it's actually cool to ride it, if nothing else you can actually see how much technology, even if it's pretty much exactly same on first sight, went forward, and how much better today's suspension or drivetrain works compared to 10 years old ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.