• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 Mountain Biking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@Philpug and I made it out for a quick ride today. It's been about 10 days since I last rode, maybe two weeks. I definitely felt it until the blood had a while to circulate!
20210915_113539_054_saved.jpg

Phil coming down and around

VideoCapture_20210915-132235.jpg

AQI was hazy. I'm to the point of if I can't taste it it's as good as it gets!

Screenshot_20210915-132552_eBike Connect.jpg

Up and down and up and down...

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Are you feeling OK? You rode Sardine clockwise?! (Those brake bumps are like freakin Volkswagens!)
Or just ride CC direction & no bumps ogwink .

Let's ride Sunday!
:thumb:

Pow Mow today, leaves are changing…
95D1B65A-0F1E-4E60-BDE2-429F90C61B24.jpeg

Looks like they are building some immaculate flow trails for possible lift service next year. I took Dr’s Dozen down & crossed this new but closed trail.
17B3580F-B6B4-49D0-9973-21F3F299E64E.jpeg

Climbed back up to find the top section of Brittons Ribbon closed for construction. I imagine it will be a refurbished/rerouted DH trail for next summer.
Finished with the lower portion of Brittons Ribbon which I’ve only been on a few times. it is a pretty fun section that connects you back to Timberline lodge.
3EA82BBF-2C7F-4528-A874-D4C3FAE5B9AA.jpeg

5C51B8BA-5160-4CF2-9460-6F4959E1979D.jpeg

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Are you feeling OK? You rode Sardine clockwise?! (Those brake bumps are like freakin Volkswagens!) I try modulate before I get to them, then let off, but let's be real, they are for long stretches and into downhill corners. It's the rapid-fire ones that give me fits anymore.

Let's ride Sunday!

Yeah, I've had this same shock on different bikes for what, 3 years now? FWIW it was leaking a bit earlier this season, but it only did it once and then quit. My bike needs a few other shop fixes, so I'll have my husband take it over and have the shop owner take a look at the shock. I will also try your solution above. I don't want my bike to be out of commission! It's definitely not right. It's rough and noisy. Doesn't seem to absorb hard hits as well, either.

True, but I'm not sure I'd want to go that short, plus finding cranks right now is nearly impossible. 165 is my happy length and I haven't even been able to find those.

Try them, they work really well

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yesterday we planned to climb from the base of Park City Resort to the Wasatch Crest via Armstrong and Pinecone trails. Half way up Armstrong we met a cow and calf moose who had other plans for us. They were having a leisurely brunch and would not move off the trail even though we stayed quite a distance away and waited about 30 minutes. The steep and rugged terrain did not allow us to bushwhack around them so we had to turn around and ride plan B. We were not interested in disturbing their brunch!
929CA622-2E48-408E-8BF1-0B7213831ED0.jpeg
67873575-6436-4EB1-8173-FBF96E1FC77A.jpeg
A5FE2813-2B89-43EF-85A3-4217CB154165.jpeg

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yesterday we planned to climb from the base of Park City Resort to the Wasatch Crest via Armstrong and Pinecone trails. Half way up Armstrong we met a cow and calf moose who had other plans for us. They were having a leisurely brunch and would not move off the trail even though we stayed quite a distance away and waited about 30 minutes. The steep and rugged terrain did not allow us to bushwhack around them so we had to turn around and ride plan B. We were not interested in disturbing their brunch! View attachment 142452 View attachment 142453 View attachment 142454
Discretion is the better part of valor.

4ster

Instructor
They were having a leisurely brunch and would not move off the trail even though we stayed quite a distance away and waited about 30 minutes. The steep and rugged terrain did not allow us to bushwhack around them so we had to turn around and ride plan B.
I had a similar encounter on Green Pond a few years ago. I was coming down and there was mama and calf, waited a while, chickened out and started back up. A little ways up I decided that I should go just rip through there and they wouldn’t know what happened. When I got back to the same spot instead of speeding through I came to a stop, looked at them, mama looked at me, they won, I turned around went back up to Penny Lane and took the B route over to maples.
E6F8FBF6-7C92-4BC5-AA09-C1F2DA0EADE8.jpeg

Live to ride another day :bikewheelie:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm telling you, whistle at them loudly! Do it a few times, and they almost always run off. It is crazy how long they will hang out in one spot. We finally spotted our first moose of the year on our Crest ride last weekend. BIG cow and older calf in the brush on a steep hillside about 50? yards away. We were definitely being watched, but mama was not showing any aggressive posturing. My experience has been in the fall, they are more mellow and are more concerned with mating and eating. I'm obviously still very cautious and watchful of them, and I certainly wouldn't approach one head on like those hanging out in the middle of the trail. But stand at a distance and whistle loudly a few times and they do tend to skedaddle. I can't whistle for crap, so if I were alone, I'd have to reroute. @utskier, however, can cause deafness with his whistles and has no issues trying to get them to move. From a distance, of course. It's worked every time, but, we don't come across moose at a close distance that frequently.

I mean, rerouting a CREST ride--that's a bummer! Riding in Park City is just magical.

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
whistle at them loudly!
One guy in our crew has a very loud and annoying whistle which did not encourage them to move. We rang all 3 of our bike bells while he whistled and no luck. We yelled, pleaded, stomped our feet and at that point the calf laid down right in the middle of the trail to watch our shenanigans. I think the two of them had a good laugh at the idiot band trying to get them to move!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
One guy in our crew has a very loud and annoying whistle which did not encourage them to move. We rang all 3 of our bike bells while he whistled and no luck. We yelled, pleaded, stomped our feet and at that point the calf laid down right in the middle of the trail to watch our shenanigans. I think the two of them had a good laugh at the idiot band trying to get them to move!
Well there you go, then! That's pretty funny. Maybe the moose in PC are much more adapted to humans (likely so.) The whistle tactic has worked every time for us. But, we've probably only had the opportunity to use it a half dozen times in four years. They are fun to watch regardless of whether or not they alter our best laid plans.

I do have a few crazy moose stories. I passed a bull while climbing a few years ago--he was at the apex of a turn not 5 feet off the trail in the brush and I didn't even see him until I was also at the apex of the turn. I said a few choice words as I pedaled really fast to get out of there. That's not the only round-the-corner surprise I've had.

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Big Sky a few years ago, on a pleasant summer day Gwen, dog Cricket, and I checked out the terrain for the cow moose and calf who didn't seem to be around. Down the three floor levels of outdoor steps we went. Very shortly after we got to the edge of the parking lot, the cow was on us. Cricket was fast and got clear cleanly, Gwen ducked down and got away but had moose snot on her sweatshirt afterwards. I ended up standing nose to nose with Mama Moose. Do you have any idea how big moose nostrils are? Face to face like that they looked like tunnels. For some reason she let me off with a warning, but easily could have stomped my ass.

4ster

Instructor
That's not the only round-the-corner surprise I've had.
I've had a few of those myself. The first was on a fast DH when I heard some rustling in the bushes as I approached the turn. Right then a large juvenile popped onto the trail, without time to stop we were lucky not to collide even though I am sure we scared the crap out of each other! As I rounded the next corner, there was its sibling :doh: .

The closest for me was skiing when mama appeared right in front of me out of the woods, I hockey stopped so close that it sprayed her, I’ve never seen eyes get so big, mine & hers :geek:. As she trotted across the run & I scrambled for my camera, here comes the calf who upon seeing me freaked out & chased after mom while I dropped my camera. Mom had cleanly negotiated the rope barrier surrounding the beginner terrain park but baby managed to get tangled up & take the whole fence out. I was working at the time and all of this was in plain view of the base area & some of the chatter coming over my radio from security and patrol was hilarious :ogbiggrin:.

A few moose shots (not mine) from last fall at North Fork Park which is popular for fat biking when there is snow…
66007722-63A9-4C3D-9890-581A7416D26A.jpeg
994AB422-54F1-4071-A009-85C77E3CB1D0.jpeg
374AF2B5-B0EC-4775-A3FB-76363463A00F.jpeg

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I tipped over with authority today. Front tire got wedged and threw me down onto a rock. The Giro Montaro did it's job. Without it @Tricia would be feeding me through a tube...at best.
imagejpeg_0-3.jpg
IMG_5793.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.